Thread: What XDF/Bin do I need?

Carb and Points!

What XDF/Bin do I need?

Hey all, I'm brand new to all this, and hoping not to display my ignorance by the questions I ask, but also not really wanting to brick too many pcms figuring it out myself.. First of all what XDF will I need to read my computer, and if I cant find the exact one, which one will work (see pcm/engine details below)? Is it the SERV# or HDW# on my pcm? Also, if I cant find the right XDF, will I have to download a bin and write that to my pcm or can I use the bin currently on my pcm? (the numbers have to match right?)

Here's the details on the engine/tranny/pcm
    5.3 lm7 with matching factory pcm out of a 2004 1500
    PCM Serv # 12586242 HDW#12583660
    2002 4l60e out of a seperate donor truck

Plan is to put them all together in an 80s square body

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

The XDF is of zero use while reading the OS contents of your PCM. The XDF is only useful for viewing and editing the OS with a program such as Tuner Pro RT.

What are the colors for the connectors for your PCM? I'm guessing its blue / green. If yes, this is a 1 megabyte PCM and there is only one good operating system for your PCM that also has a good matching and richly featured XDF file. This is known by the last four digits of it OS number - "7603".

You are likely going to need a bench OBD2 wiring harness with a 2-3 amp power supply at no less than about 12.3 volts DC. I don't recommend writing to your PCM with it installed in a vehicle though many people are successful doing it.

What hardware and software do you plan to use to write your edited OS back to your PCM? For hardware, I recommend the Bluetooth OBDLink MX+. For writing software, there is "PCM Hammer" or "LS Droid".

I have never bricked a PCM but I do recommend buying a spare PCM from the junkyard. Or two, three or four such as I have. Some purchased for as little as $18.00 on Half Price Sale days.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Thanks, I think I am slowly getting my head wrapped around this.

Yes, it is the green/blue pcm.

I have the red OBDLink SX cable ordered already (I'm cheap, and my computer doesn't have bluetooth... i understand it should work, just slow.) I'm hoping to pick up a spare pcm or two along with wiring to make a bench harness from the junk yard here soon. I'm planning on using pcm hammer to do the writing.

The biggest thing I need to do right now is delete VATS, so I just need to download a 7603bin with the same 5.3/4l60e combo, disable VATS on tuner pro, then write the modified bin to my pcm using pcm hammer correct?

My 5.3 was a flex fuel engine, do I need a flex fuel bin if I only plan on running pump gas?

I think there were a couple different injector options for the 5.3, will any factory bin match my injectors, or do I need to double check the injector tune?

Will any 2004 bin run my fly by wire throttle (I have the throttle module and gas pedal from the donor vehicle) or is that something else I need to double check?

The 4l60e is a 2002 I believe, were there major enough changes between 02 and 04 to need to do a segment swap for it to shift properly?

Sorry, some of these questions my be getting off topic for this thread, they are just a few things I want to confirm before I reflash my pcm.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

Sounds like you have a good plan to at least get your engine started. I have not had to change anything in the tune to support my 4L60E except to change the rear axle gear ratio and tire height in the tune to make the speedometer accurate. There is a slight bit of mathematics here within Tuner Pro RT but its easy.

I have not had to change anything related to my stock fuel injectors - 26 pounds of fuel per hour Multek injectors. I did bump up the original 550 RPM to 650 RPM because it idled better, IMHO.

I also killed off EGR and EVAP plus the oxygen sensors AFTER the catalytic converter. Kill off cat overheat warnings while you are there. I've got a big list of others that I kill off because that equipment isn't there in my 1970 El Camino and I can give you the list when you are ready for it.

I also did nothing for Flex Fuel. Nothing for timing - completely stock. Nothing for the octane table - completely stock. I'm in this for long term engine durability, not tire smoke or racing. My 2013 SS Camaro is here for those things.

Yes, delete VATS and your engine should start.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Thanks! I'm still a ways from actually firing up the motor, bit I'll start with the VATS delete and get it running and then get the list of what all else to delete from you. Mine's going into an 80s pickup so it doesn't have to do much more than fire the spark plugs and injectors and shift the transmission.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post
    Hello,

Sounds like you have a good plan to at least get your engine started. I have not had to change anything in the tune to support my 4L60E except to change the rear axle gear ratio and tire height in the tune to make the speedometer accurate. There is a slight bit of mathematics here within Tuner Pro RT but its easy.

I have not had to change anything related to my stock fuel injectors - 26 pounds of fuel per hour Multek injectors. I did bump up the original 550 RPM to 650 RPM because it idled better, IMHO.

I also killed off EGR and EVAP plus the oxygen sensors AFTER the catalytic converter. Kill off cat overheat warnings while you are there. I've got a big list of others that I kill off because that equipment isn't there in my 1970 El Camino and I can give you the list when you are ready for it.

I also did nothing for Flex Fuel. Nothing for timing - completely stock. Nothing for the octane table - completely stock. I'm in this for long term engine durability, not tire smoke or racing. My 2013 SS Camaro is here for those things.

Yes, delete VATS and your engine should start.

Rick
    Not trying to highjack, but it sounds like you deleted a ton of stuff for your El Camino. I'm new to this also, and getting ready to program my 2003 LM7 to be used in a Crawler/Trail Buggy and don't need/want any of the "Extras" I will actually be running it with a TH400 so I will need to delete Transmission also. You mentioned to the OP that you had a list of things you deleted, would you be willing to share that with me as well? Any files or lists would be greatly appreciated. Biohazard2222@gmail.com, thank you!!!

Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending