Thread: Noob here. Looking to learn. 01 single cab Silverado with 5.3 swap

Carb and Points!

Noob here. Looking to learn. 01 single cab Silverado with 5.3 swap

So I have probably one of the most simplest swaps n it’s been hell getting here but I’ve made it. My truck runs n drives but my cluster is lit up like a Christmas tree. Those are all things I aim to fix n I welcome any recommendations from any one.

i signed up here to learn about tuning and I wanna start with a stock tune but with the vats and speed limiter removed. Hopefully some one here can pointe in the right direction.

Thanks.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    What PCM? What operating system in the PCM in your running vehicle? Who and what system has already killed off "VATS" - Vehicle Anti Theft System? Changing your particular stored "stock tune" might not be possible but a very similar "stock tune" as a replacement is very possible.

Do you live in an area with strict emissions control laws?

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    I guess I’m confused on the information I have been reading. Idk any of the details yet of my pcm. But I have a donor 01 extended cab Silverado so what ever came on it. I don’t think I’ll have much off an issue as far as it goes to emissions and if so I know a guy.

As far as tuning goes I’m still in the research faze and first I need to build me a test bench for my pcm. So at the moment I do have 2 pcms.

I plan to mess with this with a laptop unless I absolutely have to use an android phone. I have the obd link lx which I had planned to use.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

If you are running the stock original 2001 model year PCM, it'll be a "P01", 512 k byte memory capacity device with red / blue connectors. Both of your PCM's need to be of this type for least confusion. These are typically identified by the "0411" or "896" numbering in the last digits on the white PCM labeling on each device.

I think you are going to need to learn how "Tuner Pro RT" and "PCM Hammer" works on your laptop if you wish to avoid using "LS Droid" on your Android phone. I like all three of these programs for various reasons. I'm not sure your OBD Link LX device will work with LS Droid but my MX+ does.

Your bench harness is a good idea. Try to power it with a good sized 12 volt power supply that can dependably keep your PCM well above the 12.2 volts DC minimum. I run mine on a three amp Radio Shack power supply at 13.7 volts. I also have two switches in mine - one for 12 volt memory keep alive power and one for 12 volt ignition boot up power.

Rick
    Last edited by B52Bombardier1; 10-31-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    RadioShack? Havent heard of that in a while. I got the idea for the bench tester from “the driveway engineer” on YouTube and he pretty much mentioned that if you try and run ls Droid or pcm hammer from the vehicle it would most likely brick the pcm.

Oh and el Camino? Nice!

Fuel Injected!
    I Flash my truck all the time just leaving it in. Prob have over 100 flashes "in truck" with the xpro and PCM hammer. never a problem. That said I always feel more confident using the USB version over the Bluetooth.

Carb and Points!
    Would u mind telling me more about the usb option? I was wondering if something like that was available since I would prefer that over wireless.

How did you go about learning how to tune? Also what kind of truck u got?