Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16197427 Stand alone 4L80E controller questions?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    your transmission appears to already be updated to a 94+. The major changes from the early units 91-93 are an updated PCS valve, a vent hole drilled in the valve body, a different separator plate and updates harness. you will need to remove 1 wire from the transmission connector and repin 2 other wires. will also have to run a "twisted pair" from the pcm for the input speed sensor. your van should already have a DRAC. 4l60e to 4l80e swap has been well documented over the last 20+ years try searching on google for specifics if you can't read wiring digrams.

Thanks. Will do as you suggest about google for father info. I can read wiring diagrams and repin plugs.

using a 7427 is by no means user friendly, if you are looking for something quick and easy to setup your trans this is not the way to go. if MSD has an addon to do e-trans control that is the route i would recommend for you. there are also othwr options such a US shift controller that is geared towards the average DIY'er.
    Everything I read saids a factory ECM is much better that any after market system, and much cheaper.

And I want and need a full functioning ECM, to control the transmission and the engines fuel system.

From what I have read the 7427 is nearly a plug in to replace my 165 in my 93 Van. A number of people report that a 4L80e really needs a 7427 over the 165.

SO I am looking for a couple of 7427s with a 5.7 and 4L80e chip.

Rich

PM if interested.

dave w

IMG_2596[1].jpg

IMG_2595[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Racprops View Post
    Everything I read saids a factory ECM is much better that any after market system, and much cheaper.

And I want and need a full functioning ECM, to control the transmission and the engines fuel system.

From what I have read the 7427 is nearly a plug in to replace my 165 in my 93 Van. A number of people report that a 4L80e really needs a 7427 over the 165.

SO I am looking for a couple of 7427s with a 5.7 and 4L80e chip.

Rich
    Maybe this Ebay auction works for you? https://www.ebay.com/itm/38486753582...cAAOSw6JNicDoX

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    PM if interested.

dave w

IMG_2596[1].jpg

IMG_2595[1].jpg

Just saw this..How much??

Also I have a Moates.net Memory Adapter: (see picture)

Question is how much can be done with a custom chip mounted on this device:

Can a custom chip be programed to run a 4L80e and a 350/383 Engine?

As I understand it carries an Eprom/medcal chip as backup/cripple drive??

Does the medcal need to be a 350/4L80e or can it be a 350/4l60e chip?? I have a couple of the 350/4L60es on hand from a 165ECM.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

The G1 adapter and SST 27SF512 chip can be used in the 16197427.

The '165 MEMCAL WILL NOT work in a 16197427.

dave w

G1 Adapter Install_02.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The G1 adapter and SST 27SF512 chip can be used in the 16197427.

The '165 MEMCAL WILL NOT work in a 16197427.

dave w

G1 Adapter Install_02.jpg
    So i will need at least one correct MEMCAL for the set up.

So now the questions are: how much can be done with a custom chip mounted on this device:

And how much for the ECM and MEMCAL?

Rich

The input I have is, I would use factory stuff vs aftermarket. Especially if you are going to run injection.

Learning curve shouldn't be terrible. Just don't adjust anything you don't need to, and save a copy of your file before each changes so you can easily go backwards.

Another option you can do with the 7427 is to wire a swithed ground to the cruise control pin. When this pin is grounded it will use cruise shift and tcc tables. So you can set them up for a performance or towhaul like shift and tcc schedule. Kinda like a push button shift kit.
    And I would recommend setting it to use tcc lockup in 2nd gear.
    Be careful with the blucat program, it's not fool proof.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Quote Originally Posted by Racprops View Post
    So i will need at least one correct MEMCAL for the set up.

So now the questions are: how much can be done with a custom chip mounted on this device:

And how much for the ECM and MEMCAL?

Rich
    will need at least one correct MEMCAL for the set up. - - - Yes - - - V8 MEMCAL from a 16197427 would be a good choice, likely a V8 MEMCAL from a 16168625, 16196395, or 16156930 will also work.

Can a custom chip be programed to run a 4L80e and a 350/383 Engine? - - - Yes.

And how much for the ECM and MEMCAL? - - - please send me a private message (pm) for details.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    The input I have is, I would use factory stuff vs aftermarket. Especially if you are going to run injection.

Learning curve shouldn't be terrible. Just don't adjust anything you don't need to, and save a copy of your file before each changes so you can easily go backwards.

Another option you can do with the 7427 is to wire a swithed ground to the cruise control pin. When this pin is grounded it will use cruise shift and tcc tables. So you can set them up for a performance or towhaul like shift and tcc schedule. Kinda like a push button shift kit.
    And I would recommend setting it to use tcc lockup in 2nd gear.
    Be careful with the blucat program, it's not fool proof.

Thanks,

The idea of locking the converter in 2nd I question...the idea of a converter is to allow the engine to spin up more than the gear allows (as in a stick) and pull more power.

On the other hand I can see with my set up having it locked could be a better thing. So: "7427 is to wire a switched ground to the cruise control pin. When this pin is grounded it will use cruise shift and tcc tables. So you can set them up for a performance or tow/haul like shift and tcc schedule. Kinda like a push button shift kit."

That I really want to learn more of...

Rich

2nd lockup is great, when setup correctly it can seem like another gear on acceleration. When towing ( might not pertain to you ) gm testing on proving grounds determined that torque multiplication did not improve pulling a grade in 2nd gear, and only causes excessive heat in the fluid.
    The only reason I can imagine it never made it into a stock calibration is for that smooth slush feel the OE world desires. 4l80 also sacrifices the friction material a little bit also for a smoother FEELING shift. Bang hard isn't good either but I would say that is a minimal concern. But if you tow you should indeed have 2nd lockup. I have my personal trucks setup to always be locked at any speed that is higher than about 2500rpm
    In 2nd
    As for the cruise pin, just find the pinout. All this is used for is when the cruise system activates, it grounds that pin so the computer can use a different shift schedule for cruise control. Cruise control still works just just fine as the computer on these doesn't really need to know. So all it does is allow us to switch between two shift and tcc schedules on the fly, just like a tow haul button in a P01.
    It gets constant ground while cruise is engaged. I used a latching push button for mine.

If you want, I have a spreadsheet that you can put your shift schedule and tcc schedule in to visualize how they interact with each other.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    wrong thread