Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small block Olds fuel injection rail/intake from '75-'81 Seville

Fuel Injected!

Small block Olds fuel injection rail/intake from '75-'81 Seville

Figured I'd put a bug in everyones ear here just in case someone runs across one of these. Not having much luck locally finding one, and these things are surely getting rarer by the day I'm sure. I'm not positive these were the only vehicles that used fuel injection on the olds, but the only one I know for sure did.

Worst case I end up with "normal" TBI, already have the throttle body for it, but would be cool to be able to run individual injectors.

No idea what they are worth, but I figure it's not going to be dirt cheap.
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

I am hoping to get over to Pull'N'Save next week for some parts for a buddies truck, I will keep an eye open for one if I do.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I have a friend who's REALLY into Olds engines, and electronic fuel injection, I'll see if he has anything.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Anything anyone can do to help, I appreciate it. I'm not in a huge hurry, because I don't have a ton of cash to finish the project. But those older cars are getting hard to find, and won't be any easier when I finally start working on the car again. :(
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

Administrator
    At one time you didn't seem interested in craigslist / ebay as sources. Has this changed?

Also, you might consider modifying an aftermarket aluminum intake for injectors and building a fuel rail.

Could try contacting this guy to see if he's got the original EFI steup.
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/3053533987.html
    Last edited by 1project2many; 06-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Craigslist/ebay have never been off the table. I just don't have a lot of money, and the one setup I saw on ebay is way more than I can afford. Besides, I only want the rails and intake, a complete setup is probably worth more (if anyone even wants them) and typically sellers don't want to part that sort of stuff out. There is someone local with the parts I need, but they aren't interested in parting the car, and I can't afford what they want for the car...it's not worth enough to consider trying to part it out on my own. Plus, my wife might very well kill me if I brought another project home. But I know myself well enough that what I think would take days would take months or more, so best I don't get a whole vehicle.

I actually have a factory aluminum intake for the motor, I've not looked too closely at modifying it for injectors, but as I recall rails were really pricey, which is what kept me from going with an aftermarket solution initially. I'm certainly not stuck on factory parts, but if I can get the intake/rails for a couple hundred dollars, it would be worth it vs. the time and parts to take my own.

Contacted the seller on Craigslist, will see what he says. Appreciate the link!

My buddy has an intake, and a couple dizzys. He doesn't have the proper fuel rails, but he says he has some that could be modified to work.
    The intake has been drilled fir use with newer style injectors.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    You can buy fuel rail stock fairly inexpensively. The time consuming part is matching injector angles to the ports but if machine work in your area isn't too expensive it's worth considering. Ends of the rails can be drilled and tapped to use standard pipe thread and traditional 3/8" tubing works well to connect the rails. I've even made brackets and fittings so I could use a stock pressure regulator on aftermarket style rails.

MarineIntake2.jpg
    Last edited by 1project2many; 06-13-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    How much does he want for the intake? AL or Iron?

Is he willing to share what rails he found that are close? Shouldn't need distributors, already have CCC would convert one of those. Would really like to go with a smaller one for clearance, but it's Oldsmobile. I'll have to look closer when I get to that point, see if a different "top" can be swapped.

Unfortunately machine work here is pretty pricey, but it's an option. I'd really like to get my hands on a stock rail setup to see if it's even worth using. At that age, it may be junk for all I know, not worth using. The lines looked fairly small, nothing like the volume I assume even the TPI rails hold.

I have pictures of everything, I should have them posted tonight.

Pics are here.

There is an acrylic TB adapter template installed, the fuel rails are close to fitting, mostly just need mounts made up properly, there's a couple fuel pressure regulators that will come with it. The TB is the Caddy style with the throttle kicker for idle.
    The intake is aluminum, and is "full port." I'm told that some of these could have been "half port" that closed off the lower portion of the intake port, like they did with the crossfire LIM.
    The MAP sensor port has been modified to accept a newer push in style MAP sensor, that is also included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Hmm, pretty interesting.

What would be your appraisal of amount of work this thing would require to fit the rails/injectors to the intake itself, and run the regulator? The mounts look pretty basic, bend, drilling/tapping, but if the injector fittings don't line up exactly with the intake, that's a bit more work.

Can't quite envision what is going on with the fuel rails. I see the injector ports, and what looks like a crossover fitting, but there seem to be other "fittings" on the rails. I can't 6 non-injector fittings (or cut offs). If I remember the TPI rails correctly, there are only two...inlet and outlet to regulator. But obviously too many fittings can be fixed, it's more about the injector angles.

gregs78cam just called me from Pull and Save and found a complete intake/system etc still on car... soon to be off car...

I know nothing about these, are the old injectors an issue? Seems the intake would be the good piece to have to start with, TB looks same as newer ones with built in IAC, not sure why MAP would need changed if newer TB with IAC were on there you'd have a dedicted MAP port... cool project!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Not sure that the old injectors are an issue per se, but I've just gone off the original post that lead me down the path towards port injected Oldsmobile, and that "build" used newer injectors. Like most everything engine-related, new stuff is probably better. :) Or at least if injecting with more modern components, better to use injectors that work easily with whatever system you decide to go with.

Ok, so I just got back, and here is what I have. It is off of a '77 Eldorado. Everything that was attached to the intake, minus air cleaner. This throttle body looks like it attaches with four bolts in a square pattern, so it should be easy to use a newer one with an adapter plate. I also grabbed the distributor as well, and the valley pan. I would guess it weighs around 30lbs all together. How is $100 plus shipping? Or if you don't want all of it, make me an offer.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 06-15-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s