Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tunerpro not connecting with ECM

Electronic Ignition!

Tunerpro not connecting with ECM

I ran Tunerpro on my DELL laptop for a long time.Worked fine .My Dell POS computer died and I had to load Tunerpro on my new laptop with windows 7. Cant get it to talk to the ECM. ECM is a 16168625. Using a Moates Cable that worked fine with the old computer.Is there a link that will point me in the right direction as to how to get a link between my tuner pro software and the ECM? I am not doing anything like emulating, just want to data log...DA link says"No DA connected" Did a cable check and it says it is found and functional. So frustrating. Looked online and cant find any simple links to help, there is usually some links to guys that are emulating, etc. Dont know if I loaded the correct driver,or what. Cant find anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you loaded the ADX?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Are you using the same XDF and ADX that you have previously used?

Electronic Ignition!
    I am using the ADX and XDF that coincides with $E6 on the Tunerpro defs page. This is for the 8625 ECM. The thing that is upsetting is that I cant verify setting with my old computer as the video card went and I cant see anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by fallflight View Post
    I am using the ADX and XDF that coincides with $E6 on the Tunerpro defs page. This is for the 8625 ECM. The thing that is upsetting is that I cant verify setting with my old computer as the video card went and I cant see anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!!!!
    Personally (if this was my problem)

To retain my last remnants of sanity I would pull the HDD out of the old PC or Laptop and put it into a HDD caddy.
    Then just copy the contents of TP5 directory and maybe My Docs?
    That way you can eliminate your TP5 settings and ADX/XDF being the issue.

Yeah but your obviously a computer guy, so you would have checked to see the drivers were installed for the Moates cable, comport on cable is same as what TunerPro sees etc... does the OP know how to do that?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I've seen TurnerPro 5.x working on Windows 7.

I'd look around the windows device tree & verify that you have the correct serial device selected in TurnerPro.

Any close ADX should give you a log. Reading the data will be a mess.

Robert

Electronic Ignition!
    I want to thank you all for the advice. It is much appreciate

With the cable unplugged my computer shows no com ports being used. As soon as I plug the Cable into the computer it shows COM port 3 being used. So I then go into tunerpro and change the correct com port to 3 and test. It says the cable is fine and functioning.

I wish the old computer was accessible because I would check the settings from that 1. If you guys can think of anything else let me know as I'm going to mess with it some more later tonight. I just don't think there's much more I can do.

-Chris

That should do it! Start truck and connect. Don't be afraid to disconnect, reconnect, close TP, open TP, and I have an issue that is supposedly not possible with Windows 7 but sometimes my right USB port works and sometimes left. Once was both which is the way it should be.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Eaglemark.

One Question..........The only driver that they have on Moates is this

http://www.moates.net/zips/CDM20824_Setup.exe This is the driver that I loaded

Is this the correct driver for my application?

Thanks

I beleive I used the one older auto install, does not mean the one you have will not work, did you read this page?
    http://www.moates.net/usb-device-drivers.html

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    GOT IT......Dont know why but it works now. Logging at last.

1 more question.....I just started my engine and started to log. Seems my spark advance is wierd..... 33.6 on startup? Is this normal. Reason is I cant get a steady idle hot or cold. It fluctuates approx 2-300 RPM *(SET TO 700) and IAC is all over the place trying to keep up. When I rev to 2000 and keep it there, I can hear a fluctuation in RPM. Then when I bring it back to idle....it stalls.

Any thoughts, O GREAT ONES?

Searching for idle number 1 cause is....... vacuum leak! Need to set timing to ? What motor? 0 with wire disconnected on small block, check bin file base timing. Also need to see what ADX is set for, does it show actual timing or with bias?

Welcome to tuning!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    350 Chevy in a boat. Worked with Howell EFI to program the chip as they have done several boats.

Facts:
    Timing set to 0 with wire disconnected. There is only 1 vacuum which goes to PCV. Other valve cover is plugged. All other small vacuum lines off throttle body are plugged. Even plugged PCV and still had shaky idle. I will look for anything else tomorrow.

If you have a PCV valve it has to have a fresh air into motor usually from air cleaner, or you can create a vacuum in engine and suck in seals... not your idle issue though.

Idle issue may be that the $E6 vehicle PCM is designed for Closed Loop, very rare to see an O2 sensor on a boat conversion... also designed for auto tranny with VSS... also rare on a boat... so without VSS it will only run on idle spark and idle VE Fuel... which should idle well but not power well... just some thoughts...

-= =-