Thread: Which BIN for this ecm?

Carb and Points!

Which BIN for this ecm?

I am trying to help a friend out in getting a chip programmed because of an engine swap. 93 Chevy had 5.7 TBI that was replaced with a GM 350HO crate engine. New engine has different cam/head etc.

The stock ECM has 2 barcodes on it.
    Top one SERV NO 1618625 BDJX
    86BDJXK230116518

bottom
    16186705 BDJX
    86BDJXK230116518

I found a BIN file for 1618625 at gearhead, but no BDJX. I cannot find anything that is 16186705.

I am trying to find him some BIN so we can burn a new chip with different parameters to get the engine running right.

I know he needs to get some stuff from moates, APU1 and an adapter and some chips to program to do it ourself. I have used TunerPro for programming the QH in my excursion, so have understanding of BINS,XDF etc. I think we could take a stock bin and compare it to one for the 350HO and just modify some parameters. Or just take the stock bin for teh 350HO and put it in the memcal. From reading it seems a lot of them are interchangeable.

But he should definitely consider buying a programmed chip if there are any recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have just gotten some more information.

Seems this new engine has vortex heads, not the TBI stuff. They started in 96. So I am not even sure you can control that engine well enough. I really do not know enough about them. Should I be looking for a later ecm that can control a vortex head engine? The 350HO plugged into the wiring harness. Buddy seems to think just need to delete EGR stuff and change fuel management. I am not sure fuel management is that simple. LOL
    Last edited by tkmitchell; 09-14-2020 at 08:10 PM. Reason: new information

Fuel Injected!
    If you're buying an APU1, you should be able to use that with the correct adapters to read the stock chip. Then you'll need to verify which mask it runs (most likely $E6). Get the XDF for it and start tuning. Please upload a copy of your stock bin so others can reference it. You'll need to adjust ignition timing as well. The vortec heads have different timing requirements. I am assuming that you're using the vortec TBI manifold or a carburated manifold with an adapter for the TBI. If you're doing something something different, let us know.

Fuel Injected!
    There may have been some 96 G30 vans built with vortec TBI engines, but I've never seen one. They likely would have used the 16197427 PCM. I don't know what BCC or mask they would have used. They would most likely have all been built with 4L80E transmissions so if you have a 4L60E, you couldn't use it, but it would be a good bin to reference if you can find it.