Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: '95 S10 '7727 conversion, need guidance.

Super Moderator
    .ds files are GM documentation files.... they aren't directly usable in tunerpro, you need to create ADS and ADX files out of them.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

You don't load a .ds file to Tuner Pro.

You use a .ds file to create an ADS or ADX (depending on the version of Tuner Pro). A .ds is to an ADS/ADX as a "hack" is to a BIN. It's a definition to be able to create other files.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

You don't need to load the ALDL.ds file, it's just a text document with info on how to build the ADX file. Try the ADX above, it had the Mode 0 Command built in and I used it in connection command and Mode 1 for ALDL data. This is the way the ALDL file says it's needed but sometimes it is not.

An F body (Camaro, Firebird) bin may be better starting point.

Don't try and connect till engine is running. Don't be afraid to disconnect and reconnect.

Code:
                            DATA STREAM A100   SPECIFICATION

ENGINE   USAGE:
                  5.0  PFI   (LB9)   (VIN=F)   90, 91
                  5.7  PFI   (L98)   (VIN=8)   90, 91
           DATA PIN  : READ DATA ON PIN "M" OF ALDL CONNECTOR
           BAUD RATE : 8192 BAUD - BI-DIRECTIONAL
    ..PAGE
            MODE 0 (INPUT MESSAGE)
                    ALDL REQUEST: THE ALCL TESTER MUST TRANSMET THE FOLLOWING
                                  MESSAGE TO THE ECM, AFTER AN IDLE LINE IS
                                  DETECTED.
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $56
                    - MODE           = $00
                    - SUM CHECK
                    ECM RESPONSE: THE ECM WILL TRANSMIT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE.
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $56
                    - MODE           = $00
                    - SUM CHECK
            MODE 1 (ALCL MODE)
                    THE UART ALDL MODE - MODE 1 WILL ONLY BE ACTIVE IF REQUESTED
                    BY THE ALCL TESTER.
                   ALDL REQUEST:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $56
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - MESSAGE NUMBER = $00
                    - SUM CHECK
                    THE ECM WILL RESPOND WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $95
                    - MODE           = $01
                    - DATA BYTE 1
                    - DATA BYTE 63
                    - SUM CHECK

MODE 10 (CLEAR MALFUNCTION CODES)
                    ALDL REQUEST:
                    - MESSAGE ID     = $F4
                    - MESSAGE LENGTH = $56
                    - MODE           = $0A
                    - CHECKSUM

THE ECM BROADCASTS NO NORMAL MODE MESSAGES, NOR DOES IT ISSUE AN $F0 POLL.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I just wanted to mention that likely your bin file is corrupt.

I'm dealing with a similar issue in another conversion currently.

It's a 1986 Turbo Regal, original ECM is a 1227148.

I have made an adapter harness to install a 1227749.

Using an AutoProm, in APU mode and open mode.

If I upload any $58 bin, which is what I want to use, it is corrupt and will not connect properly.

If I upload any $8F bin, it is also corrupt.

If I upload any $59 or $8D bin, the ECM reads the bin fine and datalogging connection is not an issue.

I may break down and buy a 3 BAR MAP sensor to get this to work.

The strange thing is I DID have correct datalogging and the car running on $58 for about 10 minutes or so this morning.

I started getting some strange warning messages from Tuner Pro, about "save changes to bin" when I changed NOTHING in the bins, just simply loaded to Tuner Pro and uploaded them to the Auto Prom.

You need to get your CEL working though, that is the place to start to get some diagnostics going, and check for ECM functionality. When you turn the key on, you should get a CEL flash, then on solid. If you get just a solid CEL or a quickly flickering CEL, then the bin is corrupt or not reading properly.

Something else to check is proper orientation of the EPROM or emulation cable. If that is backwards, that can cause some similar issues.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Would it run with a corrupt bin? I burned a chip for it and went around the block.

I just ran out to the garage and tried the adx, about 50% success, It is throwing a MAP high, TPS high and rich O2 sensor code. None of the sensors are reading. They are all static at random numbers.

Its encouraging that there isn't a cyl select code, but I don't trust any of it until the sensors start reading.

It could run on LHM, if the values were close enough in the NETRES and RDF chips.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    It could run on LHM, if the values were close enough in the NETRES and RDF chips.
    The chip is for a v6 mpfi engine and it will barely idle with that chip directly plugged in the computer, also it responds to the changes I make. The problem seems like something else.

The VCM controlled the ABS, so there is not another controller on the line. Before repinning the harness to use the 7727 I tried wiring the pinout directly to the cable 1 pin, It didn't help.

You need both the serial data and a ground to the ALDL logging cable, like I said before, there needs to be the ground reference between the ECM and the PC/laptop. Without that ground reference, the data will be garbled, at best.

You could test as I do, by using other code that will run in the ECM, with the engine off, upload the different code, open the matching ADX, and see if the data is good, or still garbage. I usually look at the TPS data, and run the pedal through a full stroke or two, to verify proper data.

FWIW, sometimes when the cals are off enough, the LHM actually works better, due to the safe rich programming of the LHM hardware. If it's responding to changes through emulation, then it could be reading some of it.

BTW, have you disabled checksum? If not that can cause some big issues as well.

Fuel Injected!
    How does the checksum get disabled? It wasn't disabled intentionally if it has been.

You change the mask ID byte from whatever it is (8D, 58, 8F, 42, 4F, etc) to "AA". This disables checksum, which is required for emulation to function properly.

Fuel Injected!
    The checksum reads 58,766. It reads 00 after being set to AA. Setting it to AA in the Hex Editor makes the value 43,662. It was 5E in the hex editor.

Is this correct?

Checksum could be anything once you make a change, don't worry about it. Just make Mask ID AA. Then upload to Emulator then verify! I have had many successfuel upload that did not verify! If it fails verify then upload again, and again, I have never had to do more then twice though... save bin, upload, verify, emulate, turn key on and watch CEL for blink, then start and light should go off.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

If the entry in the hex editor that you changed was "5E" then you changed the wrong item, based on your initial posts in this thread.

You are using $8D, correct?

If so, then the value you change should be "8D."

You can do this right from the Scalers menu in Tuner Pro. In the box that says "8D" just type in "AA." The scaler should be named "Mask ID."

Fuel Injected!
    That makes sense. I changed the value for checksum and not mask id. I'll fix that after work. It is running unbelievably rich. Getting data will be nice, right now I'm assuming way too many things. Most importantly that it knows it is a v6 not a v8.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, I set the mask to AA and nothing, So I decided to give up on the 8d and tried A1. Still no data and the Check engine light would not flash.

Frustrated and ready to go buy/order a new ecm, a stock chip went in. Not only does the check engine light flash once with the stock chip, but I can get data thru tunerpro...The truck will not run on that chip, it will barely idle if I pump the gas.

Does anyone have a suggestion for why that would be, or how to correct it?