Thread: obd2 elm 327 help

Carb and Points!

obd2 elm 327 help

hello everyone i am currently trying to use tuner pro to connect to my ob2 port on my 99 chevy silverado has anyone figured out how to read and write to the computer and or data log? any help would be appreceated

Fuel Injected!
    I'm using a 12200411 PCM from an 01-02 model year. I use PCM Hammer to read and write calibrations. I'm not sure if PCM Hammer supports the 99-00 PCMs or not. Perhaps someone else will chime in with that info. There are only a few interfaces that are capable of reading and writing to these PCMs. I use a VXDiag VCX Nano for GM. It's basically a MDI clone and comes with a cracked version of Tech2Win which emulates a Tech2 scanner. It's possible to get it working with TIS2000 to be able to flash factory calibrations up to about 2008 model year (but it's kind of a pain to set up). You'll need an XDF for Tuner Pro for the OS (operating system) that your PCM is running to be able to make changes, and probably a plugin for TunerPro to calculate the checksum. There are several different OSs available for different year/model vehicles. Some OSs are well supported while others have little or no support. You can flash a calibration with a different OS as long as it is compatible with your PCM and your engine/trans/features. I use 12212156 OS which was used in the 12200411 PCM starting in 2002 and is very well supported. I'm not sure if it's compatible with your PCM or not (but I would think that it isn't). You can change to a later PCM if you need to but you'll have to check the pinout on the connectors. I'm not sure if they are the same or not. The connectors can be repined if necessary. As for datalogging, I don't have that set up with TunerPro. I use HP Tuners for datalogging. I know that you'll need an ADX file to do logging in TunerPro. Maybe one day I'll try to set it up, but HP Tuners makes it easy to log and make changes, then I copy the changes and paste them into an Excel spreadsheet, flip the axis, copy and paste them into TunerPro, and if necessary, multiply by whatever to compensate for any difference of scaling. Then I save the changes in Tunerpro and write them with PCM Hammer. That way I avoid licensing the PCM with HP Tuners. PCM Hammer comes with a logging program (PCM Logger) but I haven't played with it yet. I know that some people are using Torque Pro to do data logging as well, but I'm not sure what they are using to view and interpret the data. I hope this helps.

Fuel Injected!
    PCM Hammer supports the red/blue connector P01 PCM (512k bytes) and the blue/green connector P59 (1 megabyte). I also use LS Droid to do the actual writing but I like them both and the both support the use of my Bluetooth OBDLink MX+ device to actually move the ones and zeros.

Yes, you need a mated and matching XDF file for any OS BIN but the XDF does not get written to the PCM. Many people misunderstand this aspect. I also use OS 12212156 among others. I also don't do data logging with Tuner Pro RT because I have other methods.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    I was under the impression that 99-00 PCMs were different than 01-02 PCMs, but I don't know what the differences are. I've read that all the P59s are compatible, with the only stipulation being that you need the IAC driver if you're running a cable actuated throttle. I wasn't sure if that was the case between the 99-00 and 01-02 PCMs. Are you saying that all 99-02 (LS) PCMs are P01s and will run any P01 OS?

Fuel Injected!
    The "4896" (last four digits of the Service Number) PCM devices are very similar to the "0411" devices except that it is said that the 0411 PCM might stream and log parameter ID's slightly faster - though I can't detect that speed difference. Both are 512k byte hardware and both use the same wire pin outs and any 512k byte BIN operating system edited with the mated and matched XDF can work in either device.

Try it, it works and you have zero chance of bricking either PCM.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    That's good to know. I have 2 0411s and 2 P59s with IAC drivers ( I don't know the service numbers off the top of my head) so I don't plan to aquire any more PCMs in the near future, but thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mike