Service Engine Soon and Malfunction Indicator Light. What is the difference? They have separate switches to enable and disable them in software, on a stock dash they have separate lights. On the pinout for the '01 Camaro only one I've seen shows the MIL (not the color coded pinout) and so far I've not seen a connection for the SES.

Is it enabled via the PID channels perhaps?

The SES can only be turned ON and OFF. The MIL uses one of 4 error reporting conditions from nothing to first instance.

Do both throw a code? Is there some hidden interconnected functionality or are they entirely independent?

For instance, I had a persistent MIL light so I turned off everything and it went away. I then re-enabled my MIL reports but left the SES turned off and it didn't come back, at least not right away. So it makes me curious. It's not a big deal, now that I know I can get rid of the light I can track down what's causing it (there are no error codes on my scanner), even though it may be a bit of work. And I plan to custom configure my error reporting anyway.

Jim