Thread: How to make XDF file

Carb and Points!

How to make XDF file

Can anyone share any references they have used to learn how to make an XDF file?

Fuel Injected!
    Its complicated and I have never done it. But I'm told that the XDF file is a "mapping" of the internal structure of the BIN operating system so that we can then see it and make changes. One of two possible programs for doing this is needed - "IDA Pro" or "Ghidra". IDA Pro is supposedly very expensive and Ghidra, though free, lacks certain features that IDA Pro has. Certainly some skill here would be required.

There are also brute force "compare" methods between a known and unknown BIN file attempting to see differences in the hexadecimal code. Very tedious.

None of this is easy and it is basically a reverse engineering process. However, I absolutely thank everybody that suffered through the creation of the XDF files we have in this community. They have skills that I likely will never acquire and have months of effort tied up in each XDF.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Hey thanks for the reply and info! I have heard its crazy meticulous. Maybe thats why there are not tutorials readily available like other subject matter. I hadnt heard of programs you mentioned. I will definitely take a look into those. Maybe one day I can make a contribution to tuning culture. Thanks again!

Fuel Injected!
    Your interest in XDF file creation has stirred my interest. There are books on using IDA Pro and I think I will now buy one.

Rick

Carb and Points!
    If I could offer or someone offered an in depth tutorial on that, that would be huge contribution, I think.

Fuel Injected!
    Disassembling and tracing isn't as hard as it is time consuming. It goes much better when at least 10 people are picking areas and working. Otherwise it can be soooo overwhelming of a task. These are such huge files nowadays. IDA is a very powerful tool, just learning that is daunting.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by exceedbeyond View Post
    If I could offer or someone offered an in depth tutorial on that, that would be huge contribution, I think.
    It never, ever ceases to amaze me when I search for something on You Tube. But type in "IDA Pro" on You Tube and you will find quite a lot on file disassembly using that program. I will have to take a look at those videos and I did buy an IDA Pro book on EBay. Learning shall occur.

Rick

Carb and Points!
    Im going with Ghidra for now. Indeed, learning will occur :)

Electronic Ignition!
    If you start work on an XDF let me know. There are a few efforts around to centralize development work and it would be best for all of us if we find a way to work collaboratively.

Carb and Points!
    I have started some work on an XDF. I am using Ghidra. I am below novice right now, and have been desperately trying to find people willing to share any info regarding this process. Once I can get past the cloak of mystery I plan to share my findings. If I import and bin file, and select the Motorola 32bit 680020 language, and select Analyze file, select Window-->"Decompile", "Disassembled View", "Listing". I see some info, just not sure what to make of it yet. I am using Ghidra 9.1.2.

Fuel Injected!
    What PCM are you disassembling? Ghidra currently does not support CPU32 specific opcodes so the disassembly of any P01, P59, P04 and so on will not be complete. The best way to start disassembling is to find PID jump table and start marking variables from there. When you know what is RPM, MAP, ECT etc. then it's fairly easy to find the main tables. The scalar values and flags are much harder to figure out.

Carb and Points!
    Well when I say I am new this., I am new new to this. I don't know how to tell what PCM I am on. I just know it came from Chevy 1999 2500 2WD truck, based on the VIN. I did do the "Read Entire PCM" option with PCMHammer to create .bin file. I have numbers on the PCM's sticker as well. I have been researching how I can tell since you posted. I was hoping to return with a more informed answer for you. I know enough to know I need a bin file, and XDF (I have TurnerPro installed), but just wanting to understand it more from the making of the bin and XDF aspect.