Thread: Anyone Familiar with 16196388 ecm?

Carb and Points!

Anyone Familiar with 16196388 ecm?

Hi, I've been lurking and hunting around trying to decide how to control this 7.0 tall deck I have. The emissions sticker says 1995, but the original truck was sold in 1996. I'm thinking this is some weird stop-gap that GM did, because there was what looked like an OBD2 connector, but nothing I borrowed could read it. I can't find any pin out info, or anything else on it for that matter. What say you? Throw it away and get a 1227747 to learn on? (PS. I'm a total newb to computers if you couldn't already tell). I'm not trying for any earth shattering tuning, I just want it to run right and get rid of some of the tbi characteristics that drive me crazy. This will probably go into a coe car hauler in relatively stock form, except for the exhaust system. Any helpful opinions much appreciated. Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    Out of pure curiosity, I would like to read that file. I believe that is a 27256 memcal similar to what is used in a '7060 pcm from a 7L LR0 series engine https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-12532427.html
    Interestingly enough, used well into the obd2 age but in large trucks so maybe that is why it has an obd2 connector and should use pin 9 of the obd2 connector, then would be serial aldl like a '95 LT1 type obd2 connector but really still obd1.
    Where are you located?
    -Carl

Carb and Points!
    I'm in California. Interesting about the 16147060, I hadn't discovered that number yet. Looks like something I can find pinouts for. This is an Lr0 engine. I'll go out and look at the chip in a few minutes. The letter code is BNKB.

Carb and Points!
    I'm not really sure how to identify chips, but.....the sticker says B621 BNKB 3393 and the tiny writing on the chip says.....014B 5C24 32500 B9526AB. It has 24 pins.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm in Fresno. I think that has a 2732 chip which is 24pin. Here's a screenshot of some info I have. I've only worked on one of those and it's been a while back. Interesting governor controlled TBI unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Carl

Here's a link to a list of GM ECUs, it doesn't have your 6388 listed but, just about everyone else. Thought maybe it would be of interest to someone?

https://xtronics.com/wiki/GM_ECU_eproms.html

Administrator
    Yes, this should be OBD1 communications and emissions with OBDII connector. Vehicle was built to 1995 emissions standards as indicated under the hood as it did not have to be OBDII compliant.

The engine could be controlled with almost any TBI ecm. For non-stock applications You would want to use a non-goverened TBI unit from a 7.4l engine to match the airflow needs. If you are keeping the engine in the original truck I believe there is a definition file available for one of the governor type ecm's.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for that. I started poking around and it looks like the governor can be gutted pretty easily. I had daydreams about modifying that section to have a controlled high rpm fpr pto, but it seems like a cruise control module would be easier to rig for that. I guess I'm going to acquire a 1227747. That seems like a good kindergarten level approach for an electronic injection newb like me. It's been interesting finding out how many mistakes the previous owners had made. I'm beginning to understand why it was running so rich in the original vehicle.

Administrator
    That's a neat idea. With a tone wheel installed on the PTO output shaft the cruise module would work to maintain consistent PTO speed. That might even work better than using ECM control.