Thread: 27sf512 chip mod for 24 pin?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I found a link with the APU1 information on the Moates.net website: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/17/autoprom-apu1/

I wonder, does the APU1 need the USB driver installed? http://www.moates.net/browse-product...-download.html

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I found a link with the APU1 information on the Moates.net website: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/17/autoprom-apu1/

I wonder, does the APU1 need the USB driver installed? http://www.moates.net/browse-product...-download.html

dave w
    Thanks Dave, Yes, it does need the USB driver...wont work without it.
    Setup is just my issue for now, it was set up for 28 pin chips on the TPI. I just want to make sure I am modifying the chip right. Tried programming and emulating yesterday, got blinking and steady check engine light.

I have it set for the 27sf512, do I need to set it to something different since the jumper was installed?
    These are the issues I am having.
    1)verify chip is blank=chip not blank
    2)erase chip=erase successful.
    3)check for blank again=chip not blank....WTF!
    4) verify chip with buffer=NOT MATCHED.
    ready to throw in the towel.
    Last edited by jameslleary; 06-01-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslleary View Post
    I have it set for the 27sf512, do I need to set it to something different since the jumper was installed?
    These are the issues I am having.
    1)verify chip is blank=chip not blank
    2)erase chip=erase successful.
    3)check for blank again=chip not blank....WTF!
    4) verify chip with buffer=NOT MATCHED.
    ready to throw in the towel.
    I've never tried using or flashing a modifed 27SF512.

I would try an unmodifed 27SF512 chip and see what happens.

My thinking is the modifed 27SF512 needs the offsets set maually / overwritten?

Might be better to get the emulator to work?

Maybe there is support for flashing the modified 27SF512 on another website?

I have the ability to burn the 2732 chips, maybe we can get you going by swapping chips via snail mail?

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've never tried using or flashing a modifed 27SF512.

I would try an unmodifed 27SF512 chip and see what happens.

My thinking is the modifed 27SF512 needs the offsets set maually / overwritten?

Might be better to get the emulator to work?

Maybe there is support for flashing the modified 27SF512 on another website?

I have the ability to burn the 2732 chips, maybe we can get you going by swapping chips via snail mail?

dave w
    Thanks Dave!
    Ok, just back in from the garage with success!
    Here is what I have learned.
    The 27sf512 HAS to be programed as an un modified, 28 pin chip.
    To run it in the 7747, the g2 needs to be used, or, like I did, modify a 28 pin ZIF socket.
    The chip can also be modified after the programming has been done.
    The truck is now running real good on ARJU which is a Cali-bration(HaHa)it idles steady, and the exhaust smells kinda sweet, instead of rich. Will have to drive it some to see if anything changes.
    Last edited by jameslleary; 06-01-2012 at 11:16 PM.

I used a modded 27SF512 for a LONG time while tuning back when I still had the 7747. This was before I got brave enough to soder on my ecm. So I sodered in the jumper wire to the chip itself and cut the legs to fit the stock carrier and chip socket.
    Heres what I did, I set the chip to 27sf512, but set the chip offsets to 00F000-00FFFF. I never had any problems eraseing and then reprogramming the jumpered chip. I too would get the NOT BLANK message if I did a blank check, however if I always remembered to hit erase before I loaded file to buffer then programmed it, it would work every time. I could verify aganst buffer and it would pass. I think the "not blank" message might have something to do with it trying to read the jumpered part of the chip? (mabey? I have no clue) But I used that chip for a log time with countless reflashing. Even continued to use it after I sodered in the ZIF. I ony stopped using it because one day I dropped it and bent a leg, when I tried to straighten it, it broke.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I used a modded 27SF512 for a LONG time while tuning back when I still had the 7747. This was before I got brave enough to soder on my ecm. So I sodered in the jumper wire to the chip itself and cut the legs to fit the stock carrier and chip socket.
    Heres what I did, I set the chip to 27sf512, but set the chip offsets to 00F000-00FFFF. I never had any problems eraseing and then reprogramming the jumpered chip. I too would get the NOT BLANK message if I did a blank check, however if I always remembered to hit erase before I loaded file to buffer then programmed it, it would work every time. I could verify aganst buffer and it would pass. I think the "not blank" message might have something to do with it trying to read the jumpered part of the chip? (mabey? I have no clue) But I used that chip for a log time with countless reflashing. Even continued to use it after I sodered in the ZIF. I ony stopped using it because one day I dropped it and bent a leg, when I tried to straighten it, it broke.
    Was this using APU1 or some other hardware?

Autoprom, with TP RT
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.