Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27sf512 chip mod for 24 pin?

27sf512 chip mod for 24 pin?

Hey guys, Specifically those with APU1...i had my 7747 modified with a ZIF socket. What exactly do I need to do to the chip to work as a 24 pin? I did see the post that Dave made with the 5 legs jumpered on the 28 pin ZIF socket, but am not sure if that applies to what I need. I HAVE moved the jumper in my APU1 to 24 pin. And once modified, howmdoes the chip need to sit in the APU1 for programming. Tried to emulate, got a steady CEL light.

There should be no PROM in the socket of tye APU1 during emilation.

You can't program the 24 pin PROMS using the APU1.

Programming the 27SF512, you place it in the lowest part of the socket with the number 1 pon pointed towards the handle.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Didnt have a chip in it when I tried to emulate. I have a 27sF 512 jumpered, like the adaptor in Daves thread. Just wonder what I am missing about this.
    I did trim the 4(of 5) jumpered pins so they dont plug into anything.
    Is there something in TP5 that i need to change as far as start and finish Hex Addresses, or chip selection?
    Last edited by jameslleary; 06-01-2012 at 02:26 AM.

The offset should be automatically selected when you select the bin.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I found a link with the APU1 information on the Moates.net website: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/17/autoprom-apu1/

I wonder, does the APU1 need the USB driver installed? http://www.moates.net/browse-product...-download.html

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I found a link with the APU1 information on the Moates.net website: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/17/autoprom-apu1/

I wonder, does the APU1 need the USB driver installed? http://www.moates.net/browse-product...-download.html

dave w
    Thanks Dave, Yes, it does need the USB driver...wont work without it.
    Setup is just my issue for now, it was set up for 28 pin chips on the TPI. I just want to make sure I am modifying the chip right. Tried programming and emulating yesterday, got blinking and steady check engine light.

I have it set for the 27sf512, do I need to set it to something different since the jumper was installed?
    These are the issues I am having.
    1)verify chip is blank=chip not blank
    2)erase chip=erase successful.
    3)check for blank again=chip not blank....WTF!
    4) verify chip with buffer=NOT MATCHED.
    ready to throw in the towel.
    Last edited by jameslleary; 06-01-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslleary View Post
    I have it set for the 27sf512, do I need to set it to something different since the jumper was installed?
    These are the issues I am having.
    1)verify chip is blank=chip not blank
    2)erase chip=erase successful.
    3)check for blank again=chip not blank....WTF!
    4) verify chip with buffer=NOT MATCHED.
    ready to throw in the towel.
    I've never tried using or flashing a modifed 27SF512.

I would try an unmodifed 27SF512 chip and see what happens.

My thinking is the modifed 27SF512 needs the offsets set maually / overwritten?

Might be better to get the emulator to work?

Maybe there is support for flashing the modified 27SF512 on another website?

I have the ability to burn the 2732 chips, maybe we can get you going by swapping chips via snail mail?

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've never tried using or flashing a modifed 27SF512.

I would try an unmodifed 27SF512 chip and see what happens.

My thinking is the modifed 27SF512 needs the offsets set maually / overwritten?

Might be better to get the emulator to work?

Maybe there is support for flashing the modified 27SF512 on another website?

I have the ability to burn the 2732 chips, maybe we can get you going by swapping chips via snail mail?

dave w
    Thanks Dave!
    Ok, just back in from the garage with success!
    Here is what I have learned.
    The 27sf512 HAS to be programed as an un modified, 28 pin chip.
    To run it in the 7747, the g2 needs to be used, or, like I did, modify a 28 pin ZIF socket.
    The chip can also be modified after the programming has been done.
    The truck is now running real good on ARJU which is a Cali-bration(HaHa)it idles steady, and the exhaust smells kinda sweet, instead of rich. Will have to drive it some to see if anything changes.
    Last edited by jameslleary; 06-01-2012 at 11:16 PM.

I used a modded 27SF512 for a LONG time while tuning back when I still had the 7747. This was before I got brave enough to soder on my ecm. So I sodered in the jumper wire to the chip itself and cut the legs to fit the stock carrier and chip socket.
    Heres what I did, I set the chip to 27sf512, but set the chip offsets to 00F000-00FFFF. I never had any problems eraseing and then reprogramming the jumpered chip. I too would get the NOT BLANK message if I did a blank check, however if I always remembered to hit erase before I loaded file to buffer then programmed it, it would work every time. I could verify aganst buffer and it would pass. I think the "not blank" message might have something to do with it trying to read the jumpered part of the chip? (mabey? I have no clue) But I used that chip for a log time with countless reflashing. Even continued to use it after I sodered in the ZIF. I ony stopped using it because one day I dropped it and bent a leg, when I tried to straighten it, it broke.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I used a modded 27SF512 for a LONG time while tuning back when I still had the 7747. This was before I got brave enough to soder on my ecm. So I sodered in the jumper wire to the chip itself and cut the legs to fit the stock carrier and chip socket.
    Heres what I did, I set the chip to 27sf512, but set the chip offsets to 00F000-00FFFF. I never had any problems eraseing and then reprogramming the jumpered chip. I too would get the NOT BLANK message if I did a blank check, however if I always remembered to hit erase before I loaded file to buffer then programmed it, it would work every time. I could verify aganst buffer and it would pass. I think the "not blank" message might have something to do with it trying to read the jumpered part of the chip? (mabey? I have no clue) But I used that chip for a log time with countless reflashing. Even continued to use it after I sodered in the ZIF. I ony stopped using it because one day I dropped it and bent a leg, when I tried to straighten it, it broke.
    Was this using APU1 or some other hardware?

Autoprom, with TP RT
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Autoprom, with TP RT
    Hmmmm. Same setup as me. When i tried to use the chip that i tried to program while jumpered, I got the rapid fire CEL.

Did you mod the chip when it was new and blank, and then try and program it? Or did you program the chip, then mod it, and trying to erase and reflash it?
    Dont know if this could be it or not? But I know I modded the chip I was using when it was new and blank. I then did all the flashing and eraseing after that.

I wonder if Jeepsand Guns has something here? The 27SF512 needs to be erased before it can be programmed, could it need to be erased with all 28 pins before the mod, then work with 24 pins?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-