Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘96 Corvette Negative Fuel Trims. Help!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_b View Post
    Update:

new o2s seems to have made a difference in the trims.

Now I need to resolve a code 43. I had the code turned off in the tune so I could focus on other issues the engine might have running wise.

Brand new ‘95 knock sensors were installed when I changed the O2s. Suspect it might be a wire issue. Plan on getting the meter out and going through it.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on resolving code 43? I’d rather not put resistors in place of the knock sensors like some people do
    Glad the new O2 sensors are doing their thing. It's an incredibly common issue.

Speaking of common issues, so is the Code 43. I have that same code in my '95, and disabled it in the tune because it's irrelevant. The problem stems not from an actual problem with the knock sensor elements (that is, the ability for the knock sensors to do their job), but rather from the resistor GM added to them as a means to detect whether they were there or not. These resistors go bad or can be broken by rough handling, and when they do, they throw that code despite the sensors themselves continuing to work as normal. So my suggestion would just be to leave the code disabled and continue on. However, if you're concerned because the knock sensors you installed were new, you could always just test the resistance of your sensors to see if they're within spec. If they are, then yes, you have a wiring issue somewhere. If they aren't, then there's your problem, and disabling the code is all you really need to do.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

[QUOTE=johnny_b;83690]Update:

new o2s seems to have made a difference in the trims.

Now I need to resolve a code 43. I had the code turned off in the tune so I could focus on other issues the engine might have running wise.

Brand new '95 knock sensors were installed when I changed the O2s. Suspect it might be a wire issue. Plan on getting the meter out and going through it.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on resolving code 43? I'd rather not put resistors in place of the knock sensors like some people do[/QUOT

Hi
    My '95 z28 Knock sensor wires were burnt by the headers & chafing on the body, grounding out. Code would come & go so visually check the wire, a meter won't necessarily find the fault.... Pull the pcm out & test: no fault. Put it back Code 43...pull it out Test ok. put it back code 43.

I tuned initially with the LT4 knock module. Current PCM has the LT1 knock module. No real difference once the false noise was eliminated.
    The resistor mod... inconclusive.
    I tested inputs trimmed with a Variable resistor.
    Ah found my notes:
    Made a Desensitizing circuit based on Mike Chaney's "Knock Knocker" :email mchaney@charm.net
    I used a 1K resistor and 50K Pot so I can play with the sensitivity a little and see what happens.
    connects to PCM @ D_22 (Blue Connector) - Dk Blue Wire
    could be D_21 (Blue Connector) - Lt Blue Wire
    I can't find the data i collected though i seem to remember it just ignored the quieter taps & scored the same with heavier noises.

This might be useful:
    2017-05-23
    Just spoke with Scott Pfautsch re Knock Module

I'm now running 97 PCM
    see http://lt1swap.com/lt1_bcc.htm
    Here you will find listed all the BCC's I've come across programming the lt1 pcm's.*
    The LT1 computers can be programmed for whatever application you have, iron head, aluminum head, 4.3L or 5.7L.*
    Where using these codes might come in handy, is if you have a 95 iron headed motor, they will have two knock sensor on the block.*
    So if you need a PCM, you should find one orignaly from an iron headed motor, so you have the correct knock sensor module.*
    The knock sensor module is located inside the pcm, under the cover with two screws.*
    This module MUST match the knock sensors you are using.

KNOCK SENSORS: Installed in engine block

1993 to 1997 Camaro and Firebird used 1 knock sensor.* 1993 to 1995 sensors different then 1996-97.

1994-1995 B-Body (Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster, Fleetwood) used 2 knock sensors. 1994-95 sensors different then 1996.

* KNOCK SENSOR MODULE: Located inside the PCM, under the cover with two screws.* 8 digit # on top of module.

Knock sensor module 16177700 1994-1995 F-Body 5.7L
    16214661 1996-1997 F-Body 5.7L
    16214681 1996 LT4 Corvette

SO I GOT 97 PCM with 97 LT1 Knock Module & 95 Knock Sensors ????????????????
    I think I bricked that PCM.

DTC Codes
    43 Knock sensor Output D22 : PCM puts out 5V, sensor pulls it 2.5V DTC SET = >4.1V Open <0.78V sensor Grounded

Hope that's some use
    Mitch
    '95 Z28 M6 -Just the odd mod.
    '80 350 A3 C3 Corvette - recent addition.

Fuel Injected!
    Man I wish I had known it was more common to delete code 43 before I ordered new sensors. So this resistor you speak of is it inside the computer?

this specific pcm was borrowed from my other corvette in which it never threw the 43. So I hope it’s related to the wires.
    Last edited by johnny_b; 07-24-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Cant spell apparently

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_b View Post
    Man I wish I had known it was more common to delete code 43 before I ordered new sensors. So this resistor you speak of is it inside the computer?

this specific pcm was borrowed from my other corvette in which it never threw the 43. So I hope it’s related to the wires.
    The resistor is integrated into the knock sensor. This is why the part number is unique compared to previous year Corvettes. 96-97 PCMs revert to the C3-style knock sensors that have no resistors in them because the OBDII PCMs detect the presence of knock sensors by actually checking their output and doing a sanity check rather than relying on silly resistance values like the 94-95 do.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)