Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedo signal from PCM

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    all the same thing, but not wrong to refer to them as "A-bodies". I recall having this debate in high school hah

Fuel Injected!
    This is the solution I used in my '70 Bonneville:

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd886.htm

It accepts the VSS output from my 12200411 PCM and drives the stock mechanical speedo perfectly.
    The box is easy to mount and hide behind the dash.

-Scott

Fuel Injected!
    Allow me to revive this thread about speedometer options for the 94 LT1 in the 79 Malibu.

Does the 1994 Z28 PCM speed signal output deliver a square wave signal? If so i think this 2 1/16” gauge might be a solution for a low budget. Id mount it in a pillar pod. Do you think it will work? The install instructions are also available at the linked page.

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/10-c...dometer-gauge/
    John - '79 Malibu Wagon - LT1 - 4L60E

Fuel Injected!
    the input to the PCM is analog (40 tooth reluctor wheel), the output is either 2000 ppm or 4000 ppm squarewave. I would just bite the bullet and buy the speedhut or Dakota digital mechanical converter and use the original speedometer.

why don't you just use a cellphone or gps for speed?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    the input to the PCM is analog (40 tooth reluctor wheel), the output is either 2000 ppm or 4000 ppm squarewave. I would just bite the bullet and buy the speedhut or Dakota digital mechanical converter and use the original speedometer.

why don't you just use a cellphone or gps for speed?
    I dont like the lag time of gps sourced speedometer.

You are right however. I should bite the bullet and get the Dakota speedo driver. The factory speedometer is in good order and it would be nice to use it. Ill probably eventually pry $350 out of my wallet and do it that way.
    John - '79 Malibu Wagon - LT1 - 4L60E

Fuel Injected!
    I wish there was a cheaper alternative. there is thE diy route but i just don't have the time. hooking up an existing speedometer motor with gm stuff is actually fairly easy. However the deal breaker for me is a non-functional odometer. you need a unit that screws to the existing speedometer head. I have seen companies that offer to convert existing gauges, but they stick a digital odometer in place of the old mechanical one. it works but not for me.

I would check out the Speedbox from Speedhut, i have heard it is quieter than the Dakota unit and i think can be mounted under the hood. They are actually on sale right now, I might pull the trigger myself as I will need one for my project soon.

speedhut.com/categories/speedbox.html

Fuel Injected!
    PCM output is 4000ppm assuming the PCM is calibrated. It's a transistor driver to ground, so it needs a pull-up resistor to work.