Thread: Howdy, SEguin, TX

Electronic Ignition! trlrider10's Avatar

Howdy, SEguin, TX

Howdy!
    Glad I finally made it in! Have been reading some interesting threads, some I am learning from, some I may be able to add some help to.
    Looking forward to learning more having been a old school type carp guy that was slow to move into EFI.

Thanks,
    Louis

Administrator
    Welcome,

EFI and TBI still use plenty of the same concepts as a carburetor and old distributor. But the computer controlling them can be programmed to do it in more complex ways and faster than a mechanical device. Feel free to ask questions and to conrtibute where you see a chance.

Electronic Ignition! trlrider10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Welcome,

EFI and TBI still use plenty of the same concepts as a carburetor and old distributor. But the computer controlling them can be programmed to do it in more complex ways and faster than a mechanical device. Feel free to ask questions and to conrtibute where you see a chance.
    Thanks! Have learned allot from the forum thus far and since purchasing two EFI vehicles in the last 3 months and a 3rd Retro project in the works it is jumping in with both feet and trying to keep from drowning. LOL!

Professionally I have been all over the mechanical world my entire life. Started in the early '80's as a mechanics helper. After a abbreviated stint (injuries) in the USMC came back and started turning wrenches on everything from VW bugs up to 18-wheelers and heavy equipment which is my current day job. Specializing in diagnosing electronics and emissions system issues. Have built a few straight line cars and switched to oval track in the late '80's. Built everything from street stock up to Late Model Touring series cars.

I had a 1986 K5 Blazer project going well until someone pulled in front of me on wet roads and wiped out the front end and frame. It is currently pending a RetroMod type build with a GMT800 chassis, drivetrain and modern electronics. I have a 6.0 LQ9 that will be getting some work done to prep it to be supercharged.

Current driver is a 1993 K1500 Suburban 5.7TBI that will be getting the less then 10K crate engine that was in the K5 with a carb to TBI swap. The 4L60E will stay behind it after a freshen up and a few stronger components added. The goal here is to have a reliable driver with decent fuel mileage. Since I drive a company service truck during the week, my personal vehicle only see use on the weekends.

Next project is a 2004 Z66 Avalanche that showed up on the market just after purchasing the Sub. Could not pass it up as the body and chassis are straight. The 5.3 is well worn. I have a 2nd 6.0 LQ9 that will get freshened up with a new cam and upgraded EFI system for it. Goal here is to have a 500 plus hp driver that will embarrass a few 2 door coupes every now and then.

Ambitious projects in which money and time are lacking, but being able to do nearly all the work myself and teach our 15 year old son at the same time will be worth it.
    We are suppose to go look at a 2003 1500 today for him that has a non-running 4.3L V6. Probably a timing sensor as the truck was running fine and just would not start one morning. Could be a fuel pump issue. We shall see. The son is eying the 5.3 that will be coming out of the Z66 as a swap for his truck. LOL! Like Father, Like Son.

Have learned allot from this forum and looking forward to more and contributing where I can.