Thread: LSDroid time out issue

Carb and Points!

LSDroid time out issue

Not sure what the issue is, it worked flawlessly on first read and write execution. Now when I try to read or write I get a time out alarm every time.

Im using an OBDLink MX+ it will connect and work with their software but times out with LSDroid. Different PCM same issue, different harness (stand alone vs. bench) same issue.

I've exhausted every idea I could come up with short of buying a new OBDLink.

I would really appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks, James.
    Last edited by The_Big_Swedish; 07-02-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    What is the PCM voltage while having this problem?

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post

Rick
    I'm not sure if it is a voltage issue. Just tried it now and voltage is 12.44

Carb and Points!

Rick
    12.44 battery voltage, PCM shows 12.2v

Fuel Injected!
    Try using the MX+ on a completely different vehicle. Stream a lot of PIDS while the vehicle is running. This will tell you if the MX+ is healthy, at least for reading.

What version of LS Droid? I'm at 2.2 Beta. You might try reloading LS Droid.

Rick

Carb and Points!
    Try using the MX+ on a completely different vehicle. Stream a lot of PIDS while the vehicle is running. This will tell you if the MX+ is healthy, at least for reading.

What version of LS Droid? I'm at 2.2 Beta. You might try reloading LS Droid.

Rick
    I connected the OBDLink MX+ to a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe and went for a test drive with live readings active. Everything works as it should via OBDLink software.

It originally worked with LSDroid v0.2.1 before the time out issue. I uninstalled the app then reinstalled same version, no change. V0.2.2 same result. V0.2.2B same result.

I first noticed the issue after using the OBDLink software, they require you to register the device before using it. Could there be some kind of licensing issue where OBDLink blocks out other software?

Fuel Injected!
    Are you flashing the PCM while the PCM is installed in the vehicle or with the PCM removed and supported on a bench harness? The LS Droid documentation mentions that other modules on the data bus can interfere with LS Droid communication to / from the PCM.

I have an MX+ and I'm happy with it on a bench harness and I never do flashing to a PCM while its in the vehicle. The Droid documentation also mentions that the MX "+" device is strictly speaking, NOT a supported device. Pete mentions that firmware could be the cause here with the MX+ device but again, I have great luck with it on a bench harness using the latest firmware.

Lots of stuff in that LS Droid app documentation.

Edit: your 12.2 VDC level noted above is the absolute ragged lower limit for LS Droid.

Rick
    Last edited by B52Bombardier1; 07-02-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Are you flashing the PCM while the PCM is installed in the vehicle or with the PCM removed and supported on a bench harness? The LS Droid documentation mentions that other modules on the data bus can interfere with LS Droid communication to / from the PCM.

I have an MX+ and I'm happy with it on a bench harness and I never do flashing to a PCM while its in the vehicle. The Droid documentation also mentions that the MX "+" device is strictly speaking, NOT a supported device. Pete mentions that firmware could be the cause here with the MX+ device but again, I have great luck with it on a bench harness using the latest firmware.

Lots of stuff in that LS Droid app documentation.

Edit: your 12.2 VDC level noted above is the absolute ragged lower limit for LS Droid.

Rick
    The first time I used it was with a stand alone harness (only engine components required for swap) DBW TAC module and TPPS I dont think were hooked up either. And it worked.

After having issues I made a bench harness. Both harnesses work with OBDLink software but not with LSDroid.

OBDLink MX+ comes with PC software called OBDwiz. It has a "console" function in which you can send ELM commands and communicate with the PCM. My knowledge here is rather limited but I get responses from all AT commands Ive sent.

Is there a specific ELM command I can send that will tell us anything we dont know?

Carb and Points!
    Update! after what I believe to be a firmware roll back on the OBDLink MX+ it seems to be working now.

thanks for the help Gear Heads!

Fuel Injected!
    I was just about to advice you on possible firmware issue and you have already figure it out.

Nice you got it working.

B52Bombardier1,

Cal only flash in vehicle is safe enough to not worry about bricking the pcm. You can always fix it later on bench if something wrong happens.

Carb and Points!
    hi, I am new to this forum. having same trouble with the OBDlink mx+. what firmware did you rollback too?
    I rolled back to 5.0.0 and it read fine. but lsdroid won't write to my p01?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure if it's related to the issue you're having, but if the PCM is waiting to write to it's own flash for any reason (after a CKP relearn for example), it will not allow you to write to the flash until after it writes it own data. I can't remember if it will keep you from reading or not. To get it to write it's data and be ready again, you have to turn the ignition off with battery power connected and wait. 30 seconds might be enough, but I wait 1 minute. This can be an issue particularly with bench harnesses that don't have an ignition switch or an incorrectly modified stock harness. Just something to be aware of. Always double check battery voltage and make sure headlights and other unnecessary loads are off if flashing in the vehicle.

Carb and Points!
    Hi, I am using a bench harness with separate ignition switch. I think the problem is my OBDlink mx+ :(
    ordered OBDlink lx. Hopefully that works!

Paul

Fuel Injected!
    the same stuff. time out. hammer works great. this is lsdroid firmware problem