Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECM Test Bench

So I finally decided to do a upgrade this last week too the jimstim, Full range on rpm to ecm limit and full vss range 1-255 mph. Runs off of ecm 5v reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Were you not able to go to ECM limit with the JimStim before? I have no issue going well beyond what the ECM is capable of with my JimStim.

I need to get around to building a VSS circuit...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I decided instead of buying a transstim to just build both in one. It cost me $25 to build. I think the transstim is $20 for the board and $15 for the parts from digikey plus shipping. The Jimstim did reach the ecm limit But I never put a tach on too see how much more it will go.

Fuel Injected!
    I built a bench harness this weekend.
    Used an ATX from an old computer,relocated the switch and put it all in a pioneer reciever/dsp I gutted.
    I plan to expand it with digital displays and some other stuff.
    The rear rca plugs have been repurposed for the 5v power,and the speaker ports are prepped for 12v.
    Still need to install led's as well as a rheostat.

Administrator
    You've probably checked, but the PC power supplies often provide a pulsed DC signal and sometimes it's not a very clean one. Many 12V components will work with this but it can introduce a fair amount of noise when working with ecm's and sensors. I've found old 2 way radio power supplies to be excellent for use with ECM and other 12V powered items.

Hmmm... aren't you supposed to be doing "front and face" when it's slow? Pulling apart the network terminals to make a bench cable between customers is probably frowned on.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 02-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.

for c3 and p4 ecm's im using a AC 100V-240V Converter Switching DC 12V 1A Power Supply US 5.5mm x 2.1mm works well. Thanks for the reminder I need to work on my bench ;(

Fuel Injected!
    Funny you mention radios,cause that is the main purpose for this supply :)
    I needed something to run my quad band yaesu when my bench supply fried.
    I didn't know it was pulsed,i'll see if I can get buddy to bring scope by.
    If nothing else i've got other ways to power bench harness,just needed to get off my butt and get something started.
    I am running a load resistor on the 12v side and a fan on the 5v.
    Any suggestions?

Our store is among a few others that is experimenting with new hours,and we're really small town.
    That night we did $20 in sales the last 2hrs,$14 of it was me. (And that was busy)
    You can only do corporate policy busy crap for so long before there is nothing else to do. :)
    The others bring books,I bring projects.
    Not sure what your talking about with network terminals?

Administrator
    Get the scope on the signal before you worry about how to smooth it out. The cheapie units actually produce a very bad sawtooth. A good battery charger combined with a noise filter can produce a better signal.

I don't blame you about the corporate stuff. I've dealt with it first hand. Glad you're able to do what you can though. It's such a waste to have to stand around because someone might give you a hard time for bringing a project or book.

The photograph is a little blurry and it looks like the "black box" might be an old store computer that would be tied to the company network. I was joking that things are so slow you're taking the store pc's apart to use the power supply.

Fuel Injected!
    I've got a smart charger that is mostly unused now that I have a larger shop unit,so at least I have something to use otherwise.
    I'll keep updated as to what I do,this will be expanded with a full test harness I'm just looking for a spare vortec black box harness to use since I have a spare black box pcm.

As far as AZ,I'm allowed quite a bit of freedom from my former and current manager.
    I keep trying to quit and they keep getting me to stay,I enjoy helping people so meh.

Funny,the old network stuff we just upgraded from was actually given to me and sat in my garage for several weeks.
    I planned to use the cases for just this,ended up stripping and giving away instead of using them.

There's a ton of useful parameters in the Vortec dissasembly that have never been added to TC, EFI Live or HP Tuners. I think a lot could be done with them.

I'm still old school clean power on my bench, small tractor battery and a battery tender.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thank you for reminding me I need to work on my test bench. Got quite a bit done cleaning it up and making 2 cables . Still need to tidy things up and rewire my iac leds to tri-color leds and label the case and lights.
    Last edited by Tunedperformance; 02-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Why are you using the GM ICM with the JimStim?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

When I had mine setup on bench I used the GM EST/ICM as well, for something, but I forget? Timing! Won't have spark Advance without it IIRC?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

i couldlt get the jimstim to to a very good tach signal or the est error to go away so I built my own vss generator and rpm generator. The jimstim was a waste of money for building the jimstim. Im just using it for a connection to leds and the db37 and power supply.