Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECM Test Bench

Super Moderator

Re: ECM Test Bench

RBob/Dimented24x7 have been guiding me along and it sounds like i have a good option cooked up now that will allow me to make somewhere between a square and sine wave for the O2, which is what happens IRL, which is exactly what i want... and with the ability to adjust frequency independantly of duty cycle, which meets my initial requirements. it would also seem that i can now change the center point of where the "O2" switches, which will allow futher fine tuning....
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    You all have some excellent test bench setups! I have been interested in setting up a test bench for a while, and was unsure how exactly to go about doing so, until I stumbled on the JimStim info in the TunerPro thread. It is great that there is such a tool available, and I plan to not only use it to verify ECU repair work, but also use it to try to further modify and verify code modifications.

Before I learned of the JimStim, I was planning to use a spare engine wiring harness and some sort of multiple DC voltage power supply, and who knows what else, to create a test bench of sorts. Hell, I even though of using a battery operated Tens Unit to create electrical pulses to mimic the sensors that use those types of signals.

For those of you using batteries for power supply, have any of you tried using the power supply listed as an accessory?

I used the optional power supply for the JimStim and it worked fine. But didn't need it as I have a 12 volt lawn mower battery I use for powering the other entire system. That has a battery tender, like a trickle charger to keep it charged.

If you look at that picture in TP thread IIRC Mark has a electronics power supply...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I use a 5amp 12volt power supply. I plan to add a battery, but to be more of a filter, than something to power the system from.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Exactly why I use a 12 volt battery!

Electrical noise from Ignition Coil, spark plug wires etc... has to be looked at carfully whe doing a conversion. First one I did with front distributor, (Chevy has rear distributor) had issues! Found them with my Osiliscope and changed wiring path of harness to fix the noise! Actually I moved the coil!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I see what you guys are saying about using a battery as the power source, instead of the plug in wall unit. Since the wavelength of the AC current is broad, its output would be more inconsistent than a true DC power supply. An electronics power supply, oscilloscope, and a meter that can measure capacitance are definitely on my list of things to eventually add to my bench setup, but for the time being, the basic necessities will have to do.

Administrator
    The "no longer available" stimulator looks like one designed by (I think) Bob Ward? He was on thirdgen last I knew. If my memory's any good he had an old Malibu with twin blowers from a junkyard. He said he built that after looking at my test bench and deciding there was no way he wanted something so big and clumsy.

At the time, I thought mine was pretty organized. I used an ignition module from a small cap dizzy to drive a small LED so I had visual confirmation that the RPM generator was working. I picked up a GM test tool from a swap meet which outputs various frequency A/C signals for testing DRAC, instrument clusters, &etc. For most of what I was doing I found a fixed RPM input was satisfactory. I've also seen people use cable driven magnetic VSS connected to an igniton module as an rpm input. I used pots for sensors and put LED's on several of the outputs and on the REF and EST lines. Having trouble finding pictures but then again, I haven't had it out for at least 5 years. Here's the DIS system I set up for testing:

disrig2.JPG

It's an old PC fan with notches and a crank sensor connected to an actual DIS module. A dial back light was useful in measuring delivered timing to confirm chip settings. A PC power supply for the bench worked well for most testing but the DIS module with coils attached required more current so I had an automotive "jump pack" attached along with the power supply.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 12-23-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Super Moderator
    i'll have pics up tomorrow. :D

mine is currently functioning.... kinda. i'm having issues with the 3 wire sensors ATM, but i have a good idea as to why. turn A/C pressure pot, skews MAP and TPS readings... what a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    i'll have pics up tomorrow. :D

mine is currently functioning.... kinda. i'm having issues with the 3 wire sensors ATM, but i have a good idea as to why. turn A/C pressure pot, skews MAP and TPS readings... what a pain.
    Yeah I have had similar issues develop after a while. I plan to improve my bench with some separate pots to hopefully get rid of that.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    mine did it immediately after i completed it, so it's likely that i skipped a resistor or hooked up the pot incorrectly.

either way, it all fits in a 6" X 8" radioshack project box... and it is quite cramped. only used about a 100 foot spool of wire as well.

and if i had to redo it: i'd be using logarithmic pots for some things, these linear units can cause some really touchy operation.

Fuel Injected!
    I've yet to get around to setting up my test bench, due to other distractions, some useful some not. Anyhow, I took an electronics fabrication class at community college this semester, which ended today, and I fabricated a variable DC power supply.

Here are some pictures:

This is the PCB I fabbed. The etchant was about on its last leg when I did my board, so due to etching time, some of the reference designators were etched away.

I used this to finish the aluminum alloy sheetmetal enclosure after sanding with 180 grit to add grain to the metal:

Some functionality shots:

V-min = 0 VDC

V-max = 14.53 VDC

Nice!

Better then my lawn mower battrey...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i'm just using a fairly new ATX power supply.... had no use for it since i bought a ~800 watt unit, so this one got turned into my "project power supply"...

charge batteries, power a jewelry cleaner, test car radios, power my wife's keyboard.... useful little thing, definitely worth it's money.

i should really post pics of my bench though, it's quite a simple affair, on one side exists the power supply, then the engine sim, then the PCM. i do have a few pots pulled out of it for the moment, but otherwise it's complete.

The ATX, power supply from a desktop PC? Darn, never thought of that I have a couple laying here...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    yeah, they're quite useful. and push plenty of amperage for almost any DIY project.