Hello all.
I am trying to learn as much as I can about tuning an engine using a computer. I have been into vehicles/engines for many years but mainly have dealt with carburetors for fuel mixing. I have also spent some time with naturally aspirated IDI diesel engines mainly the GM/Detroit 6.2.

I have moved into the end of the last century as far as computer control goes. I am currently working on learning to tune a Chevy Vortec 5.3 from a 2000 Silverado that I have transplanted into my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I am able to drive the Jeep at this point but am struggling with getting it fine tuned.

I am pretty comfortable at the keyboard as far as using a PC goes. What I am trying to learn now is the science of internal combustion engines and how the PCM/ECU controls the engine. I am feeling overwhelmed and feel like a baby steps are still too big for me...Some of the terminology and abbreviations are still new to me. I am hoping that once the terminology sinks in the tuning will become easier.

I'm guessing I will be lurking around for a while before I muster the courage to start asking questions.