Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPI conversion idle issues

1 i hear ya on the 1 wire but so far cold or warm it runs 13.7 to 13.9 even with the lights on in gear.
    2 Not sure
    3 yes the The cts is mounted in the front of the manifold
    4 coil is mounted behind driverside head and all efi wires com in from the pass side
    5 no vss just yet. I have just found out i can tap into the dakota digital speedo
    6 fuel pressure is 39 with reg connected to vacuum and 45 with no vacuum

I think my biggest problem is Timing at idle and definatly at speed with ping that i get above 2000rpms.
    The car currently idles in gear and drives but when coming to a stop the idle goes down to 600 then recovers to 725 which is what i have set it to.
    In what order is the timing applied = base+blah blah blah = final timing or how do i use the timing as if it had just a mech and vacuum advance dizzy

OK I will retract one wire altenators suck with EFI. I have never seen one do that!

Fuel pressure should be closer to 43.5 vacuum applied and 48-49 without, so your way short on fuel.

Your pinging at 2000 RPM and your idle issues are probably both the same issue. No VSS! It sees no MPH so your running on the idle spark table, IAC logic has no idea it has to do anything to keep engine running because in it's mind the car has never moved...

How many codes are set?

Hope someone can identify the MAP sensor in his photos because it's not like anything I have seen. So it to may be an issue?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Stock GM MPFI fuel pressure up to between 1998 and 2003 is 43.5, without VAC reference. Pressure will be lower when vac is applied.

That is just a later model MAP sensor, they work fine in place of the earlier, larger version.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

100_2371.jpg100_2367.jpg Here are some pics of the car. i am still working on the idle issues that happen when coming to a stop. Some one has said that in a stock config they resricted the vacuum line for the power booster. Does any one know to size they resricted it? The current line is 5/16 ID.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had to re-read through as it's been awhile... if you really think it's the booster then block it and carefully go for a drive. I don't think that is it since you don't have VSS IIRC?

Maybe post your bin, ADX and XDF and we can help you diagnose.

-= =-

yes you are correct still no vss but i am getting a spike in the map to 80 kpa when the brakes are applied and it seems to richen the idle and can't burn it off before the light changes. I am working on getting the vss hooked up. I did not think of disconnecting the vacuum line i will try it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtcat9 View Post
    i am getting a spike in the map to 80 kpa when the brakes are applied .
    I think you found it! Have you checked the one way valve on brake booster? Plugs into booster and has vacuum line attached.

Never heard of the limiting diameter of hose, but that may do the trick? I don't know much about brake booster specs. Would be easy to cut a short piece of metal or plastic tubing with correct OD and ID to slip in line before one way valve.

-= =-

I did not think of disconnecting the vacuum line i will try it and see what happens.
    Remember I said carefully! Have you ever driven a power brake vehicle with bad/diconnected booster? Braking takes major amount of pressure and has long lag time. Be careful, that car is way to sweet to mess up.

-= =-

Get a VSS installed, before doing anything else. Stalling when coming to a stop is one symptom of a bad or missing VSS signal.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

there is no valve in the fitting to the booster. manual brakes, i remember them from years past and just add drums front and rear and just say whoaoaoaoaoao till they stop or overheat. I am not stalling at the light but close to it while the computer figures it out. sounds like i need to move faster on the vss hookup

there is no valve in the fitting to the booster. manual brakes
    D'oh!

-= =-

Dunno if you have the timing figured out yet, but an LT1 Corvette/ F body SA table would be close for that car, since the Vortec and LT1 heads are the same, with the exception of the cooling passages.

timing is another story i am working on but i still need to confirm some engine settings like if the used balancer has spun the inertia ring and giving false readings with a timing lite. I have pretty much locked out the timing to help that out till i get to it.