Thread: From F body to CTS-V, what is required?

Fuel Injected!

From F body to CTS-V, what is required?

I haven't really researched this yet but does anybody have an idea what it would take to, say, install the ECM out of a CTS-V in a '02 Camaro? Weird question right? But there is a reason for it and it's sitting on top of the pallet rack. A fresh 8 speed Aisin automatic. I might want to make that swap, depending on what it takes. (It won't really be in a Camaro, that's just the current configuration.)

Jim

Maybe the 2004 - 2007 CTS-V computer would be an option (LS2 / LS6)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CTS

LS1b computers (red / blue .. green / blue connectors) are 24x crank triggers
    E40 computers (2005 - 2006 GTO's) are 24x crank triggers.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Looks like the 2014 CTS-V Sport was the earliest one to use that transmission, so my guess is that a TCM from one of those or a later one would work. It looks like they used it for at least 2 or 3 years. The issue would be compatibility with the ECM and I doubt my '02 '411 could do it. I can change the crank sensor if I have to.

I also don't know if the TL80SN was ever put behind a V8. So there is the question of using either a V6 controller to run a V8, or a V8 controller to run the TCM for the TL80SN. Which would be the better choice?

Also it needs to be able to run a cable throttle and speed density, just to complicate things.

Jim

Maybe the 2014-15 E67 computer (used for Turbo V6 / Supercharged V8) could be made to work with a Gen IV engine (58x Crank / 4x Cam) engine and 8 speed TCM, but Gen IV engines are Drive by Wire. Gen IV 5.3 Liter Engines are affordable.

Sell what you have, then buy what works?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Might have to build a one off DBW actuator or something. Maybe there is a usable one on the market (or could be by the time I need it). The engines aren't really interchangeable. It'd be easier to swap in the newer cam and crank sensors. So the E67 ECM could be a good choice. Do you know if the same methods to run SD will work with them?

Also I wonder if the E67 uses the same sized connector pins? Just wondering if the pins from the P01 harness will work in the E67 connectors. I may have to go junkyarding again.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    It can be difficult to use a newer CAN based transmission on older stuff since it is load based and not tps/mph based like the earlier stuff. These guys do quite a bit with GM and can help. https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/
    You'll notice they also have custom OS for the new T87 controller ;)

I like using the e67 in boosted applications and am now experimenting with the e78 since it can use dual throttle bodies and dual maf for twin turbo apps :D
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    Might have to build a one off DBW actuator or something. Maybe there is a usable one on the market (or could be by the time I need it). The engines aren't really interchangeable. It'd be easier to swap in the newer cam and crank sensors. So the E67 ECM could be a good choice. Do you know if the same methods to run SD will work with them?

Also I wonder if the E67 uses the same sized connector pins? Just wondering if the pins from the P01 harness will work in the E67 connectors. I may have to go junkyarding again.

Jim
    The e38/e67/e78/e92/t42/t87 etc all use Molex connectors and pins. They are not interchangeable with the earlier pins.

Also, it isn't the sensors alone that are different for the crank. I think you already know the encoded 24x is a split signal that is combined internally. The 58x(60-2) is a simple missing tooth/teeth strategy that the newer ecu's use. <<<<< Mainly posting this for future readers.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 06-15-2020 at 02:32 AM.
    -Carl