Thread: Changing PCM OS number

Carb and Points!

Changing PCM OS number

Another noob here.... I have been looking everywhere and can't find how to change the OS on my PCM so that I can use an XDF that has already been made. I'm not super tech savvy but I do know I need a matching XDF and OS. I have seen lots of people say that you must change OS number but nowhere can I find somebody explaining how to change it. I have an LM7 from 1999. 4896 PCM. 9379910 is my OS. I also believe this is a P01. I am using LS droid and tuner pro. Thank you

Administrator
    Hi Eric,

I think there's a misinterpretation here. If folks are telling you to change your OS number they are saying "Change to an OS with a different number" not "Change the number in the OS you are currently using."

Calibrations are laid out so the variables and tables are in specific locations. An XDF is like a road map, telling Tunerpro what can be found at each location. If you use an XDF with a different OS then Tunerpro will not have the correct road map. You might think you're editing a spark table and really you're changing something completely different.

In order to "change your OS number" you need to program a calibration from a different car, one with the OS# you need, into your vehicle.

Carb and Points!
    Ok thank you. Forgive me if I'm not understanding completely..... If there is no XDF for my original OS (9379910) reprogramming the OS that does have a corresponding XDF is my only option correct? I am unsure how to do that. I hope I'm understanding what you mean and I'm sorry if I'm still lost.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Eric,

I have a similar vehicle PCM hardware and LM7 engine setup as you - I also have a 4L60E transmission -- your trans is important to know here. I have two 896 PCM devices and two 0411 PCM devices. Within my four PCM's, I have written several different OS BIN files to them after using their matching XDF files with Tuner Pro RT to edit the BIN files. This action overwrites the original BIN (though I did copy them first) and you effectively abandon your original OS.

I write to the PCM using an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth device for write hardware and my write software is either "LS Droid" or "PCM Hammer".

My different OS choices below support a 5.3 liter engine and a 4L60E transmission:

Matched, mated and richly featured XDF files exist for all three of these operating systems and you should have little difficulty doing what you need.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Thank you all. I figured it out. I had thought that all 3 numbers needed to match, (OS, XDF, and Bin). However, with your help, I found an XDF and BIN that worked for my PCM and flashed it. Thank you and hopefully somebody else can learn from my lack of knowledge about technologically advanced algorithms haha