Thread: Question about low impediance drivers for injectors.

Question about low impediance drivers for injectors.

My son is rebuilding his 22re and we came up with a different injector than what is currently in his 4runner. The injectors off the other engine have the same flow rating, but are 1.6 ohm injectors, while his 4runner has 2.1 ohm injectors in it now. Because the driver is in the ecm, will this slightly lower impediance injector cause any problems?
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    Toyota is known to use resistor boxes in cases like this. Can find used if you look around. Can't say what tolerance is in the stock ecu.

We are adding a cam and some headwork to his 22re, and will probably need more fuel, will the 1.6 Ohm injectors "overdrive" and provide more fuel or is that wishful thinking?

Administrator
    Lessee.... Lower resistance injector in current controlled will attain "peak" current in less time. Close time likely based on specific amount of time from "open" command so injector will likely be open longer. Injector in saturated mode has voltage applied for commanded "on" period regardless of current flow but lower resistance will likely cause solenoid to open faster, again causing injector to be open slightly longer. But overall I'd guess we're talking tenths of milliseconds so I wouldn't expect anything substantial.

Okay, the head toyota technician at the dealership where he works indicated that the 1.6 ohm injectors were found in Calif. vehicles and caused a problem in non-Cal vehicles, we are going to try them and if they do, we can always send the original injectors out to witchhunter. We are going to have to add an AFPR and bump his pressure a couple of pounds to get the fuel needed for the mods we are making anyways. We are also considering switching to a GM ECM so we can tune his 4runner.

Administrator
    I dunno anyone who would be crazy enough to try and run a Toyota engine on a GM computer.

Toyota does some crazy stuff with circuit design. For example my 92 pickup uses a dual coil fuel pump relay with one coil ground controlled and one coil power controlled. Don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand with the GM controller swap.

Hey I found the link to that crazy dude who ran a GM ECM on a Toyota turbo! Sure wish he'd post some stuff here!

http://home.metrocast.net/~shannen/y...ECM/gmecm.html

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-