Thread: Using a 0411 PCM to run a TBI?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Found a copy of the ignition wiring diagram over on lt1swap.com. Guess now I just need to get my head wrapped around what kind of signals are being sent to / from the different type of ignition modules. I am optimistic that GM didn't change things too much.

dave - I don't deny that your method would be more ideal, I am just trying to make something work. You can blame it on my mind wandering too much these days, and the fact that I have an old 91' TBI engine still running the stock ECM. This combined with me playing with / having the 0411 stuff laying around, and it makes me wonder if I could just do a quick and dirty swap. I have swapped other LS stuff, so I am familiar with making the 0411 stuff work in standalone-ish type environments. Granted this was done using my EFILive ... but that learning has shown me how to dig into the OS, and doing CAX's for things not supported.

As for the fueling side, I understand the differences between high / low impedence and am familar with how the TBI fueling works compared to say a Vortec / LS. My hope is that an old school method of either adding resistors in series would suffice, or maybe just wiring 4 of the injectors together into one of the TBI injectors would also work.

The different tables / maps are not a big deal. The 0411 can be made to work in SD mode. Yes, the tables are little goofy if you haven't worked with them before, but its not a show stopper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turbo_bu; 06-10-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I did some more thinking on the fueling part. With no cam position sensor, the 0411 will be in batch fire mode. This means that it will try to fire each bank 1 time in 2 crankshaft revs. To get more pulses, I was thinking about hooking up an injector from each bank to the same TBI injector. Not ideal, but would at least get you 2 pulses ever 2 revs instead of just 1 pulse in 2 revs. I believe that the TBI system is designed to do 8 pulses in 2 crankshaft revs, but need somebody to confirm this.

Does anyone know if hooking up the injector wires to the same TBI injector will cause any issues? The plan would be to solder in resistors to compensate for low impedence TBI injectors.

Fuel Injected!
    This isnt going to work for a number of reasons. The biggest obstacle, the TBI injectors are low impedance. The 0411 injector drivers are high impedance only.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    This isnt going to work for a number of reasons. The biggest obstacle, the TBI injectors are low impedance. The 0411 injector drivers are high impedance only.
    Put 4 high impedance injectors in parallel and check the ohms More importantly is that they are not driven peak and hold method but saturated circuit. Maybe that can be changed in the software, never looked or cared, lol.
    -Carl