PCM Module  4: 9358250
    PCM Module  5: 16264430
    PCM Module  6: 16264619
    PCM Module  7: 9373542
    PCM Module  8: 9362082
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Carl. I downloaded that file and loaded the OS and calibration using PCMHammer but then my HPT software would not complete the file download from the controller. Well, it said it did but it never changed state to allow a save.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Jim,
    I'm confused, is there a question in there somewhere?
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Not exactly I guess. I found I had to play with the VIN a bit as it was messed up, but I got that sorted and got the OS to load and it looks like it will work correctly. (The VIN was changed from mucking about with it before and I wanted it to show up as Camaro which it now does. Correct in other ways too.) But now I do have a question. Probably picking at nits, but why is the hardware identified as P01, GM Gen3 v8 (all good so far) then 4.3L V6? It's not a V6 or 4.3L.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    Not exactly I guess. I found I had to play with the VIN a bit as it was messed up, but I got that sorted and got the OS to load and it looks like it will work correctly. (The VIN was changed from mucking about with it before and I wanted it to show up as Camaro which it now does. Correct in other ways too.) But now I do have a question. Probably picking at nits, but why is the hardware identified as P01, GM Gen3 v8 (all good so far) then 4.3L V6? It's not a V6 or 4.3L.

Jim
    I suppose some of the aftermarket companies just call it that since the P01 was used in v-8's and v-6's. Yeah, sometimes getting the vin to say what you want can be a chore.

I took the liberty to clone a box quickly and do a fresh read in all the common formats. .bin, .cal(TunerCat), .hpt(HpTuners) and .ctz(EfiLive)

I usually use WinRAR but this forum only allows .zip files so I saved it in that format instead. No need to rename for folks that don't have WinRAR.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    That's awesome Carl. So here's something interesting, let me see if I can post a screen shot.

Sometimes (but not always) when I change the OS with PCMHammer I get this screen after I go do a read in HPT. The interesting thing is that the hardware window becomes a drop down list, and that there are no viable V8 options in that list for the P01 controller. Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to type in a definition. Maybe it's just a HPT issue but do you have any idea what it means? Oddly enough when I first switched to your downloads this window came up, and when I switched to the '344 OS it came up, but last time I switched back to your TA OS it came up with the v6 4.3 definition.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Blackwood; 06-04-2020 at 08:19 PM.

In my limited experience with HPTuners P59 and P01 controllers always identify as 4.3 generically on the vehicle information screen prior to reading file. Once the file has been read the proper info in editor.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Probably nit picking. But, I sent a report to Bill at HPT, I figured it was something he should know about, one way or the other. Hopefully I'll get an answer from the guys who know.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Well now I have a problem, something I never noticed before talking to Bill at HPT.

So I load the OS, in this case the '156 and the tune, and the VIN, and all that looks good and when I download it in HPT it still looks good but when I open the calibration details under Edit, the serial number is corrupted. I get a string of characters that look like a y with a line over the top. This is with a stock Silverado tune and stock VIN.

(BTW, the question I had about the hardware definition is resolved: there is a comma between Gen 3 V8 and 3.4L V6. The ECM is used with both.)

Bill says the VIN is saved in two places and affects the serial number. So now I'm trying to get the serial number sorted out.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    I get a string of characters that look like a y with a line over the top.
    I think you will find that character represents hex $FF which is the un-programmed state of nand flash.

Fuel Injected!
    If serial is derived by vin you are screwed, since nobody knows the algorithm. Of course hp s.....r somehow got it and check it for valid combo.

You can fix the serial and vin in hex editor and flash in clone mode with lsdroid. Does the vin needs to be exact match to your current one.

Fuel Injected!
    In-Tech bins have a good serial 2EB2K9S62010 and the vin seem solid. Just flash it in clone mode and see if hp s....r is happy with it.

Fuel Injected!
    Good tip. I used clone mode in PCMHammer and that fixed the serial number. Next I want to get back to a workable Camaro V8 VIN but I think I've about got that, just need to do some testing. The question now is whether I should use the 12212156 OS or the '344 which seems to be more common in the manual transmission Camaro.

Does an automatic Camaro use a different OS from a manual transmission Camaro, or is it just the tune?

Is a Silverado 12212156 OS different from a Camaro 12212156 OS or is it just the tune?

And just how much does the VIN do to change the way the controller does it's job, if anybody even knows that?

You guys are great, thanks for putting up with me.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Well, isn't this interesting. Using PCMHammer I can take a Silvearado clone, change it to a Camaro VIN, and all looks well except that when you look in the HPT Edit/Calibration Details the VIN is still the one for the Silverado. Even though the Read/Gather Info return the Camaro VIN. It's repeatable, works every time.

So, what Bill told me about the VIN being stored in two different places is true, and when PCMHammer changes the VIN it only changes one of them.

I wonder what the second VIN is used for aside from to detect tampering? We should definitely get that one fixed, who wants to be detected after all?

In other news... I'm not seeing a 156 OS with more than 4 gear ratios. Must all be AT versions?

Jim