Thread: 94 LT1 to a '79 Malibu wagon

Fuel Injected!

94 LT1 to a '79 Malibu wagon

Thread title is our project. I'll have questions along the way, count on it.

To start, we're sticking with the Malibu inst cluster and will add an LED or two for the SES and whatnot. We have old school triple gauge under the dash including oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage in that car now and I know how to get them all utilized with the LT1. The trans will be 4l60E so we're accepting that we dont have a drive cable for the Malibu spedometer. That's ok, we'll just use gps of sorts for speedo until we feel like spending big bucks on a custom electronic cluster. Obviously the speed sensor in the trans tail will still be there to feed info to the ECU.

The question I have is for a tach signal. The tach we're running in that car now is an old school Autometer analog that we've used in both breaker points and HEI ignitions. On the LT1, can I just get the signal from the coil the same way as would be done on a breaker points system? If not, how can I drive this analog tach on the LT1 platform?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Awesome thanks. The questions I’ll have will dribble in as the project gets underway. Just finishing stripping the donor car. All that’s left is cutting up the shell and listing worthy pieces for sale.

Fuel Injected!