Thread: And yet ... another new guy ...

Carb and Points!

And yet ... another new guy ...

Thought I'd be courteous and drop an introduction here.

Paul J. (aka: Paulster2 all over the internet). I live in the Stafford area of Virginia. I'm definitely a gearhead, but on the mechanical side ... I've done very little with tuning, which lead me here. I'll have some stupid questions, which I'm sure you all are used to ... argh.

As far as what I'm doing? Current build is a 91 Camaro Z28 L98. I've rebuilt the engine with the following components:

- Stock block, crank, pistons, rods
    - New rings
    - New bearings (throughout)
    - Aluminum heads (2.02-I/1.60-E; flows 250cfm @ .550" lift)
    - Comp Cams roller cam; .544" I / .544" E 276/290 duration 114LSA
    - 1.6:1 roller rockers; 7/16 ARP studs; Dart guide plates
    - Holley Stealth Ram
    - Holley 58mm TB
    - Accel 36# injectors
    - Double roller timing chain
    - ARP head bolts
    - Main studs (2-bolt main)
    - Shorty headers (what came with the car ... may purchase some LTs, depending on finances)
    - A few dress up items (because they were inexpensive, so why not)

As it is, I'm getting ready to fire the thing. I'm going to have to give some attention to the tune and it looks like this might be the place to figure it out.

Thanks in advance :o)
    Last edited by Paulster2; 05-22-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Administrator
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I think you're in the right place. I'm guessng you're using a 1227730 ecm? If so you will be in need of a fair amount of tuning to match those changes. Do you have the tools to burn chips yet? You'll need a replacement chip or two, a burner or emulator, a laptop, an ALDL cable, and tuning software and scan software.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I have all of those things, including the 7730 ECM (or ECC as the sticker on the box says). I didn't know about the forum before I got my equipment, so in order to get an "original tune" I took and attached a bunch of leads to the socket end of the PROM, then hooked all of the leads into the burner, which allowed me to read the tune ... what a PITB, lol, but it got the job done.

There's a lot of questions I have, like how to delete the EGR in the tune (which I can find nothing for on the site, so I'm probably not searching for the right thing, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I think you're in the right place. I'm guessng you're using a 1227730 ecm? If so you will be in need of a fair amount of tuning to match those changes. Do you have the tools to burn chips yet? You'll need a replacement chip or two, a burner or emulator, a laptop, an ALDL cable, and tuning software and scan software.

Administrator
    There are a few different masks for the 7730 so it's a little tough to be precise about the steps. Generally you load your definition file, open the .bin, and locate the EGR enable temperature. Set it to the maximum temperature allowed to disable EGR. There are other EGR related settings that can be changed as well. This can help ensure there's not chance the valve will be activated.

Are you using Tunerpro? What mask ID?

Carb and Points!
    I believe if I know what a mask is, it's the Super_8dm2.ecu ... at least that is the one I imported instead of an XDF ... It was the one I found which I understood to be the correct one for the 91 7730. If the mask is something else, I'm not sure.

Administrator
    Mask, short for Mask ID, is value which represents the calibration layout in the file. 8D is a correct mask for 90. Super_8D may be for modified code based on 8D. If it works with a stock file then I think it will be a good starting point.

Here's one that I use:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    After many years of neglect and non-use, I fired up my laptop, upgraded it to WIN10, upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 4GB, then put in an SSD. Thing runs like a champ. I downloaded TunerProRT, then put the mask in you gave me ... Wow, what a difference a day makes. It's like you can actually find something in there. TY!

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Mask, short for Mask ID, is value which represents the calibration layout in the file. 8D is a correct mask for 90. Super_8D may be for modified code based on 8D. If it works with a stock file then I think it will be a good starting point.

Here's one that I use:

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
    After many years of neglect and non-use, I fired up my laptop, upgraded it to WIN10, upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 4GB, then put in an SSD. Thing runs like a champ. I downloaded TunerProRT, then put the mask in you gave me ... Wow, what a difference a day makes. It's like you can actually find something in there. TY!
    You're welcome. Now to find all the items that need changing. Like the injector constant, the EGR enable temp, the volumetric efficiency tables...

Carb and Points!
    Haha! No doubt. I need to get it to the point where I can run it, first ... fuel pump isn't kicking on. Need to figure out if it's because of an alarm system disabling something or if the pump itself has gone out. I got this car as a non-running vehicle. No clue what how it behaved before it sat at a junkyard for three years (or however long it was). Great fun. As soon as I can get the fuel pump to play nice, then I'll be ready for the rest of it.