Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OS 12579405

Electronic Ignition!

OS 12579405

Hello all, I am new to the tuning world so far. Long story short I got impatient after a month and a half of shops and others supposed to program my truck. I found an xdf file online and tried using it with my stock bin file and have an issue. The xdf file was found from my os number.I used ls droid to install the tune. The problem I have is my truck will not start, the computer is not monitoring the transmission, and the throttle actuator is not responding either. The xdf file was for an 04 truck not my 03. I tried to install the stock bin file but it will not work. Any one have an info on what I can do to fix this? It is my daily I knew what may happen but tried it anyway. I was trying to turn fans on as I did a factory fan conversion. I have another computer coming so I will have it running soon. I can communicate with the ecm with a scan tool with out problem. Thanks

Jonah

Fuel Injected!
    If your new tune file is a stock, original, unchanged tune, it likely still has "VATS" enabled (Vehicle Anti Theft System). Your file needs to be cracked open and have VATS, among quite a few other things, turned off. I use a program called Tuner Pro RT to edit my tunes though there are others. See picture below with a view of a different BIN file than yours but the basic idea is the same.The VATS area is at the top of the parameter tree.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the response. I used the tuner pro rt program and had my stock bin with an xdf file I found online. I hooked my scan tool to the vehicle and its setting a throttle actuator code with a reduced power message. The transmission is only registering park and no other gears. No security light or codes. So I would have to turn off the vats on any tune I do to my vehicle? Does this turn off the vats completely? I tried to install my stock bin back into the computer but no go. I am trying to learn more on this procedure and learn what I can. Thanks again

Fuel Injected!
    Is this an LS engine or something older? What transmission?

Rick

Electronic Ignition!
    My 03 sierra 5.3 with the 4l60. When I mentioned my stock bin I meant out of the computer in the truck. I am trying to install my stock bin back into my computer and so far it isn't loading into my computer.
    Last edited by j23; 05-22-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    And do you know where I can get the xdf file I need for my os? Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    There are several other OS BIN files that have valid, well defined, nicely-featured XDF files for 5.3 liter vehicles with 4L60E transmissions. Simply abandon 12579405 and go for a completely different tune for a 5.3 / 4L60E. I'm running several different here:

As best that I can tell, 12579405 has no associated XDF.

Rick

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you for your help. That would explain why I had issues. What's the difference between the files you listed? I was trying to turn on my fan function at this time. I will mess around with other things later.

Electronic Ignition!
    I looked up those files and they are listed for the 512kb computers. mine is the 1mb computer. Will these still work?

Fuel Injected!
    Try 12587603. It is for a P59, 1 MB file and it is richly detailed with e-fan support. You still need to have the correct wiring, relay and air conditioning tie-in to get it to work but the necessary software support for e-fans is there in this file.

The BIN and XDF for this OS is here on the site but I will post it here again if you need it.

Rick

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Rick you have been a huge help. I have all the factory wiring, relay box, and fans from a donor truck. I already pinned the pcm for the control circuits. I was under the impression from research that my pcm was already set up for fan controls but they were turned off. That could be wrong but I figure it worth a try and see if it works. if I can get all of it figured out then I will venture to more things I will mess with.

Electronic Ignition!
    B52Bombardier1 I have questions about the files you gave me. The fan option in the files list a fan #1 and fan #2. Is that for speeds as in fan #1=low speed and fan #2=high speed or does it stand for one fan and the other fan since there are 2 fans? Also how many times can you program a computer? Thanks for all your help

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

I don't believe there is a maximum number of times that a PCM can be programmed but it can be damaged . . . aka "bricked". There are often ways to recover a bricked PCM but there is no recovery from some types of damage. The PCM must be removed from the vehicle, the lid removed, PCM connected to a bench harness and power supply and a certain pin on the PCM printed circuit board briefly grounded at power up. This gives you a short opportunity for a tool such as LS Droid to take control of the PCM and put it into recovery mode. Quite often, the PCM devices get bricked when flashing a tune with the PCM still installed in the vehicle. Given the time it takes to write the tune, the vehicle battery voltage often falls below 12 volts and this kicks the legs out from under the PCM at a very critical point.

That P59 OS can control two separate fans. Each with different turn on and turn off speeds and temperatures. That 7603 OS can do all of that if your wiring, relays, power, grounds and tie-in to the A/C system support it.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    I don't believe there is a maximum number of times that a PCM can be programmed
    Maybe folks are referring to the average number of flash cycles that the flash chips can endure before they fail?

Fuel Injected!
    Could be that question. Yes, certainly could be. But is that number of flash cycles before failure so low as to be relevant? I have flashed a few of my PCM's perhaps a half a dozen times to no ill effect as far as I can tell. Does anybody know how many times a GM P01 or P59 can be flashed? I have not seen this question asked or answered before . . . good question.

Rick