Thread: Hi - EFI swap bound

Fuel Injected!

Hi - EFI swap bound

Hi, Im John. My son and I are launching into a cool project we think. We have messed with cars alot and know a fairly good amount for a couple of back yard wrench turners. I'm happy to have found this forum and the knowledge here as I believe it will be very helpful to us. We will try to contribute what we can also.

The project is swapping an LT1 with 4L60e from a 94 Z28 into a 79 Malibu wagon. The donor car is in our garage already. We got it as a complete car so all the wiring, sensors and ECU related stuff will be part of the swap. The donor car sat for quite some time in non running condition before we got it. It has 125k on the ticker and we're not really afraid of that just yet. The previous owner claims the transmission was rebuilt just before the car was taken off the road and I've seen nothing to dispute that.

Since the whole package will be moving to the Malibu I thought it a good idea to get the Z running and iron out all the bugs first. We had to clear all the old gas out of the tank and put a different pump in. We flushed the lines and established pressure at the rail. Bingo! It fires up and runs but pretty rich and I'm sorting that out now. I think the injectors are leaking since it leaks down rail pressure within a few minutes after shutting down. When you try and restart you have to give throttle opening since the leaking injectors are flooding the cylinders. On the first cold start it fires right up without opening the throttle.

I could go on and on about the fun we're having poking and prodding, exterminating pests and finding Def Leppard cd's in the changer. For now I'll just end this introduction with a pic of the donor and recipient. You can bet I'll be back to ask for help and opinions here and there.

zdonor.jpg

wagon.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome! The stock LT1 injectors are junk at this point. I sent you a PM.

Fuel Injected!
    10-4, message received

Fuel Injected!
    Just a follow up. We found that #1 injector was a gusher so we slapped in a spare set we have on hand. This is not the only LT1 in the garage. The other is a 96 Vette and it's cammed up, pc flashed and 3.54 rear. Great running car!

Anyway, the spare LT1 injectors we have on hand only have 50k miles on them so they'll work for now. We'll upgrade along with other mods in the future. The goal now is to get the package running good as is in the Camaro before swapping to the Malibu wagon. After the injector change things are shaping up. There is a recurring check engine light still so I'll try and sort that out today. Hears a short vid of running thus far.

https://youtu.be/lOJQJPJ9pck