Thread: K1500 5.7 tbi project.

Carb and Points!

K1500 5.7 tbi project.

Hey guys. I recently got a 1994 chevy k1500. With 350 and 4l60e. And I am kinda new to TBI. Well moding it any ways. My dad got 88 k1500 brand new. And eventually gave it to me. But I yanked out all the electronics for good old 4 bbl fun. But this time I want to keep it TBI .
    I will be putting on a set of shorty headers and duals exhaust. In the next week or so. Also getting a Holley projection intake. Now where I need help the is getting a cam that the ecu can operate with. And get a chip made for it. As I am not a computer guy.

Thanks

There are many cam options.

Several years ago I helped with a Vortec / TBI engine swap using the stock 5.7 liter L31 roller camshaft short block assembly and TBI Heads / TBI Intake, NOT THE VORTEC HEADS. There are additional expenses with Vortec Heads, so keeping the budget to a bare minimum the TBI heads and TBI intake were reused. The computer was fairly happy with the combination of L31 Roller camshaft and TBI heads / intake.

I'm thinking your combination will ultimately need custom tuning for optimal performance.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Who would a person talk to. To get a chip done ?

Fuel Injected!
    Is it a roller cam ready block?

Carb and Points!
    I did not check yet. But 94 should be. The block is not machined for a fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 884x4400ci View Post
    Who would a person talk to. To get a chip done ?
    That is a challenging question.

The sample screen shots below shows most of the information (data lot) needed to tune a chip. Without the data log, tuning a chip would be like trying to tune an early 70's engine (with points ignition) without a dwell meter, without a timing light, and without a vacuum gauge.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did not check yet. But 94 should be. The block is not machined for a fuel pump.
    Odds are it has the bosses for the spider but they probably aren't tapped, which isn't too hard just, make sure you control the chips or do it when the block is stripped down.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    Odds are it has the bosses for the spider but they probably aren't tapped, which isn't too hard just, make sure you control the chips or do it when the block is stripped down.
    SBC talk It seems like GM did some cost saving measures with TBI engines. It seems like there were some final machining process eliminated to reduce TBI engine costs. Many TBI engines did not get the final fuel pump push rod machining process, saving the cost of a fuel pump block off plate and the labor to install a fuel pump block of plate. PlayingwithTBI is correct, many TBI engines have the roller lifter spider hold down bosses, without the final tapped mounting holes. There doesn't seem to be any specific timeline when the cost reduced TBI engines went on the production line. It seems like GM used some complete roller camshaft engine assemblies mixed in with the cost reduced TBI engines to keep the production line moving. The hearsay information from an engine core supplier near me, said if the mid 90's TBI engine has the fuel pump block off plate it will likely Be fully machined for a roller camshaft. The hearsay information from an engine supplier near me, said if the mid 90's TBI engine Does Not have a fuel pump block off plate it will likely Not Be roller camshaft ready.

I have only one "Sample Size" cost reduced TBI engine to talk about ... If you find out you have a cost reduced TBI engine ... get a L31 Vortec 350 short block assembly ... you will save money and headaches.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 05-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Hey guys. Would swapping my stock tbi cam for a 300 hp 327 cam be worth it?

Hey guys. Would swapping my stock tbi cam for a 300 hp 327 cam be worth it?
    Some members would agree, yet other members would not agree. Opinions, opinions, and even more opinions. My opinion, sure it's better .... with TUNING!!

dave w