Thread: Bricked to unbridled maybe??

Fuel Injected!

Bricked to unbridled maybe??

Hey guys.

First off big thanks to everyone involved in theses open source Software.

So onto my problem had the bdm installed in my pcm. Worked great for a few tunes. Then I made list of beginner mistakes. First was a corrupt file. Then I did a hot shut off and burnt the bdm. So I have got my hands on the obd xpro vt.

So today I hooked it up. Tried to read with both ls droid and pcmhammer. La droid would try to read bit never finished. Pcm hammer could not unlock the pcm which I figured.

So is there anyway to recover this brick. If not I'm not worried Monday I'm picking up a new pcm for 60$ not a big deal. Just trying to learn as much as possible about these programs.
    Last edited by Boosted 3gen; 05-03-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Fuel Injected!
    There is a pin on P01 and P59 PCM printed circuit boards that can be grounded at power up to briefly place the PCM into recovery mode. You don't mention what type of PCM you are using but since you mentioned "LS Droid", it must be a P01 or a P59. Grounding this pin only gives you a very brief 15 second opportunity to allow LS Droid to make a recovery attempt - so please be ready. Let me see if I can attach a picture for you of the required pin for grounding.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks I'll try that today. Sorry forgot to mention p01. 0896 is the service number.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok I've tried the recovery in both ls droid and pcm hammer
    Don't seem to do anything. Ls droid just says starting read. Pcm hammer says good on the. Validating 512k files but can't verify osid or get seed or a response from recovery kernnal.

Am I suppose to power every thing on the pcm at once for the 15 second window or is it just the ignition power. I've just tried my ignition switch. I cam change the bench harness to have a switch for both but that window is small with the one second hold for the ground. Also do I have to keep the ground applied or can it be removed after the read has started.

Oh and should I be even trying to read or just staight to write? Have not tried that yet.

Fuel Injected!
    Turn all power on to the PCM - full time keep alive power and ignition power. Just ground the pin at the moment you apply all power to the PCM, then release the ground. Immediately let LS Droid attempt to recover it by reading it. Fifteen seconds is not long so you gotta' have your game face on and be ready for this.

It's kinda' funny but I've never bricked one of my five PCM's and in a curious way, I'm sort of looking forward to it as another life experience. So for now, I'm vicariously living this unbricking through you.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    I was hoping I didn't it was a cos3. Tune I didn't know if it would work and the awbser is NO. LOL oh well got to break some eggs to learn what will and will not work.

It's wierd the pcm hammer will check the addresses and everythong is in the right place but yeah she's bricked . unless Bluetooth is not supported yet with ls droid I did have the cable today so I might try that tomorrow.

Administrator
    So for now, I'm vicariously living this unbricking through you.

Oh the things we do to enrich our experiences. :)

Fuel Injected!
    ok guys little update ive tried everything beside buying a new jtag chip. not sure if it would fix it or not. is it worry the 55 bucks for the new chip to see if its savable. got a 0411 put the first tune is used in and runs great. pcmhammer worked like a charm. had a lot of cos3 tunes with 1028 kb a few with like 8000 kb and only 1 with 512 kb. so i think i know what the problem was.