Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 sonoma using 16196395 and bdyt

Fuel Injected!

94 sonoma using 16196395 and bdyt

hello all,
    i have done some searching and either i am not understanding what i am looking at, or im not finding what i need...

i have swapped a 4.3 tbi along with the stock ECM and wiring harness into a geo tracker.
    i am trying to find the bin and mask for the stock ECM.
    the serv no. is 16196395 BDYT.
    the truck originally had a 4L60e in it, it now has a 700r4 and the torque converter is controlled by a toggle switch.
    in my application, there is no speedometer. therefore it doesnt have a vss. basically i am using the ECM only for engine control.
    it would be nice to control the cooling fans with the ECM, but currently they are wired such that if the ignition is on, they are running.

the only BDYT bin i am seeing is for 16197427 and i have read it will work with my ECM.

can i program this chip to act like a manual trans chip?
    i am not seeing how to figure out what mask to use... any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    grum

BDYT is chip code mask $OD, gearhead-efi link for $OD information http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

The $OD link above has TunerPro RT information (definition files) and the link above includes fan information on Post #8.

The 16196395 computer will be OK with BDYT, because you are going to be using a 700R4.

BDYT will need several modifications for manual, including disabling the 4L60E parameters.

I'm always 100% in favor of using a VSS with TBI computers. I think the "MOST" awesome feature of the 16196395 computer is having Two Fuel Tables and Two Spark tables ... aka Near Idle & Off Idle. The 16196395 computer uses vehicle speed to determine which tables to use: Near Idle or Off Idle. For some "Off Road" vehicles the 4 Low range is optimally tuned with near idle tables for speeds below 10 MPH.

Perhaps other members will offer Tips on how to Optimally Tune a 16196395 without a VSS?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    thank you very much for helping,

i looked at the link and the file in reply 8. ... it will take some more reading on my end and toying with the software / hardware, coupled with probably lots of stupid questions for me to be able to tune my toy!

one of the questions i have is i notice there are several $0d files (.ADS and .XDF) i am confused on which one i would need and what the difference between them is... for example, the one in reply 8, is it just like the other ones with some extra functionality included? or do you combine those files to get what you want...

i have an ALDL cable on the way, and i have tuner pro rt installed, is there anything else i will need to tune my own ECM, or to read / write my own bin / proms?

thanks, grum

Fuel Injected!
    i figured i would post a pic of the toy i am trying to motorvate.. lol

20190804_202151.jpg

The ".adx" file is for data logging.
    The ".xdf" file is for editing the chip programming or ".bin" file.
    The post 8 .xdf file is for setting up the fan code only, that's it.

The "EA$Y" way to tune is with a chip emulator, like the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 https://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-th...eed-p-169.html . The emulator "ELIMINATES" the chip, so no chip burning equipment is needed. The emulator is "FLASH" similar to OBD2 computers. The Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 can be flashed, even when the vehicle is being driven!

dave w

Ostrich 2.0 with G1 Adapter.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    sounds good,

if i use the ostrich to dial in how i want it to run/perform, could i then use this http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-....html?cPath=64 to burn a stand alone chip?

my buggy sees a lot of water, mud, and rough terrain and i wouldnt want to risk the tuning hardware.

i really appreciate your help in this... i have a feeling this will make more sense when i can connect and play with the tuning..

thanks again,
    grum

The APU1 is an all-in-one option, including chip emulation like the Ostrich 2.0.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I am going to be changing another engine over to tbi that originally was spider injection. The ecm that goes with that engine doesn't seem to have any info here, in your opinion, is it junk? Or is it desirable should I eventually try obd2 tuning? Tbi seems to do all I need, and obd2 seems much more expensive to do... I'll include a pic of the sticker...20200424_115653.jpg
    Last edited by grumbolt; 04-25-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: removed duplicate attachment.

I'm going to take a guess that the computer pictured is for a 1996 Vortec 5.7 Liter?

Do you have the wiring harness that matches the computer?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    It is out of a s10, 4.3 liter with spider injection. Yes I have the full harness

I'll get the year when I get a chance..

It's likely 1996 or 1997.
    Maybe using the stock computer with a custom flash and the stock harness are an option?

Attached are 4.3 liter schematics that might be helpful if your a do-it-yourself type.

I can probably custom flash the computer, send me Private Message (PM) for details.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi all,

I would venture to say it is a 1995 OBD1.5 or MAYBE one of the rare OBD2 versions!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KC5UEA View Post
    Hi all,

I would venture to say it is a 1995 OBD1.5 or MAYBE one of the rare OBD2 versions!

Mike
    Those are possibilities. If I remember correctly the unique / rare "Flash" TBI computer has Three connectors.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    My buddy said it was a 1997 s10 pickup. The engine is a 4.3. I have the ecu and harness for it, I think I am going to pull the distributor and intake and swap in the 94 tbi parts, I already have the tbi harness and ecm, that with the edelbrock intake should make a decent simple power plant for the buggy. I more than likely wont be using the spider injection or the "black box" ecm, was wondering if it would make good trading stock, or what it should sell for...

Thanks, grum

The 16197427 TBI computer was used on TBI 4.3 Liter vehicles, gearhead-efi link http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

The 97 4.3 harness, computer, intake, distributor, and spider intake are not of any significant value; except to someone wanting to convert the black box computer to the OBD2 12200411 (aka '0411) computer. There would be significant debate about the budget required to convert the black box computer to the '0411 computer. For some gearhead-efi members there would NOT be a significant debate weather or not the '0411 computer upgrade would be the best option.

dave w