Thread: 63 Nova project

Carb and Points!

63 Nova project

Working on a 63 nova for my wife. I have a LQ4 out of a 2005 Hummer H2 going in it. It will have a 4L60 transmission behind it. I have reworked the harness and have the engine on a test stand for now. I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to fire it up so need to remove the VATS and then go from there. I am new to LS engines as I'm an old school big block Chevy guy so any help is appreciated. This is a stock LQ4 so just looking to get it running and codes cleaned up.

I picked up a OBDLink MX+ and pulled the original BIN off the ECM. The original OS is 12592618 so from searching around on here it looks like the best thing to do is to change the OS to 12587603 and then use a 2004 BIN?

I did find the 2005 Hummer H2 BIN file on here (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...6&d=1361710568) so am confused as to what I should be doing.

If I use the 2004 XDF and my BIN in tuner Pro RT, I can see where I can change the VATS to disabled but I believe that the XDF and BIN should match?

Sorry for basic questions but just getting started. Thanks in advance.

Are you using TunerPro to EDIT the .bin file for stand alone?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Are you using TunerPro to EDIT the .bin file for stand alone?

dave w
    That's the current plan. I think I have the XDF/BIN thing figured out. Now to learn how to turn all the junk stuff off to make it run.

I use TunerCats OBD2 not TunerPro to EDIT the .bin file. If you post your .bin, I will see if TunerCats can open it. If I'm able to open the .bin file, I should be able post back a few helpful TunerCats screen shots on stuff to turn off for stand alone, VATS and emission stuff.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I use TunerCats OBD2 not TunerPro to EDIT the .bin file. If you post your .bin, I will see if TunerCats can open it. If I'm able to open the .bin file, I should be able post back a few helpful TunerCats screen shots on stuff to turn off for stand alone, VATS and emission stuff.

dave w
    Thanks. I will look at TunerCats as well. I appreciate the help but also want to learn how to do it so will be ready for the next one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am able to open the Original 2005 Hummer .bin file posted above.

TunerCats OBD2 is not freeware, it would be less expensive to pay someone to flash your PCM.

dave w

2005 Hummer Info.JPG

Carb and Points!
    I am able to open the Original 2005 Hummer .bin file posted above.

TunerCats OBD2 is not freeware, it would be less expensive to pay someone to flash your PCM.

dave w

2005 Hummer Info.JPG
    I have another LS swap planned so if there is a benefit to TunerCat then I'm open to it. My son picked up a 65 Impala and we will probably put a LS in it as well so need to figure out how to do this. Hate to come on here begging for help. Hopefully, I can translate what needs to be done into Tuner Pro. Setting the VATS to disabled is very easy, just don't know what else needs to be disabled and where to do it yet.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Here is the current project:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The attached .txt is a "compare" for a Stock Flash vs. Stand Alone Flash. The file is a quick summary, so its only listing the 101 parameters that were changed, Not the Actual Changes.

HP Tuners is a less expensive option than TunerCats OBD2. HP Tuners will data log. TunerCats OBD2 does not data log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    The attached .txt is a "compare" for a Stock Flash vs. Stand Alone Flash. The file is a quick summary, so its only listing the 101 parameters that were changed, Not the Actual Changes.

HP Tuners is a less expensive option than TunerCats OBD2. HP Tuners will data log. TunerCats OBD2 does not data log.
    Thanks. That gives me some more info to get started. It sounds like you are not a fan of Tuner Pro RT. I have looked at HP Tuners and thought it was pretty expensive so surprised to hear that TunerCats is even more.

TunerCats OBD1 is very affordable!!

Several years ago I purchased a Moates.net RoadRunner PCM: http://www.moates.net/roadrunner-ls1...pcm-p-105.html

Then I purchased the complete package: http://www.moates.net/rtobd2-all-com...age-p-117.html

TunerCats OBD2 does not require fee$ for "Credit$ or License$". I purchased TunerCats OBD2 for a business venture.

If I wasn't in "The Business" I would embrace the TunerPro OBD2 Adventure for my personal projects.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    TunerCats OBD1 is very affordable!!

Several years ago I purchased a Moates.net RoadRunner PCM: http://www.moates.net/roadrunner-ls1...pcm-p-105.html

Then I purchased the complete package: http://www.moates.net/rtobd2-all-com...age-p-117.html

TunerCats OBD2 does not require fee$ for "Credit$ or License$". I purchased TunerCats OBD2 for a business venture.

If I wasn't in "The Business" I would embrace the TunerPro OBD2 Adventure for my personal projects.

dave w
    I completely understand an appreciate the honesty. I'm going to continue to play around with TunerPro as I have a little investment made (OBDLink MX+). It is not as user friendly as some of the other tools but since I am looking for only basic stuff right now, it may be the best fit. If I decide to get further into it, I may look at hiring out for a custom tune (will keep you in mind) or purchasing HPTuners.

Carb and Points!
    Got it running on the test stand yesterday. I just did a basic VATS delete initially so still need to go through it and clean it up. Thanks for the assist and those who have provided info here. Much appreciated.