Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBC 350 TBI Conversion Tuning Help

Electronic Ignition!

SBC 350 TBI Conversion Tuning Help

Hi All,
    Been lurking for awhile while working on my TBI swap, but I am now to the tuning and could use some help.
    The rig is a 1974 Jeep CJ5 that has a Chevy 350 in it mated to a 3 speed manual transmission. I believe it's a T-15.
    The block number reads 14010207 which from some research leads me to believe it is a 4 bolt main from an 80-84 C/K Truck.
    I did the Junkyard TBI conversion with a 7747 ECU.

Junkyards parts:
    Throttle body/Injectors
    IAC
    TPS
    MAP sensor
    Wiring Harness
    7747 ECU

New Parts:
    O2 Sensor (one wire, thinking I should upgrade to the three wire)
    Coolant sensor
    Knock sensor
    Many other parts

I got everything wired and installed. She fires up using a BIN from this website, but doesn't run that well. I can pitter patter around town, but if I try to get up and go, there is no power. Even getting going from a stop takes quite a bit more throttle and a lot more clutch work than I think it should.
    I am pretty new to tuning and have been reading up on it on this website and others. I have done some data logging and some of the issues I am having are as follows:

1. Injector Duty Cycle at idle is 400% or more and if I rev the engine it all it shoots way up to 1000% or more.

2. My IAC valve seems to work when I initially start, but then it seems to get stuck at 145. My idle never gets down to the 600 range like I would like. Sits around 800-950.

3. I read somewhere that a stock 350 should have about 17 for Vacuum. Mine sits around 14-15 at idle. I don't think it is cammed.. It doesn't sound cammed. I also can't find any "more" vacuum leaks. I had found a big one when I fired it up originally and revved way too high at idle.

4. I do not have VSS at this time. I might invest in the future, but ideally I want to get this running pretty good and then add it if necessary.

5. I am not certain I am able to get into closed loop because my bung is pretty far down on the exhaust. PO had put the really long exhaust manifolds on. I need to replace them with some that have the bung closer to the engine I think.

The BIN I am using is: 88 ASCN GMC 5.7 Manual - pulled from this site ASCN 88 GMC 5.7 Manual Trans.binASDW 87 R-V Truck 5.7TBI 4 speed manual.bin
    UPDATED 4.28.2020 USING 87 ASDW: ASDW 87 R-V Truck 5.7TBI 4 speed manual.bin
    XDF file is: $42-1227747-v5.9.3 -1227747-V5.9.3.xdf
    ADX File is: $42-1227747-v5.2 -1227747-V5.2.adx

I do have an Innovate wide band O2 sensor that I want to try to integrate into the system... Just need to figure out how.

Here is a photo of what the datalog looks like after a few minutes after start up and just idling.
    Datalog Photo.jpg

Here is the full datalog file. It's several minutes of idle with a couple of some throttle with AND without load here and there:
    datalog 2.xdl

Thanks for any help and advice in advance!
    Last edited by snoobly; 04-28-2020 at 06:13 PM.

There are two Error Codes 42 and 51 in the datalog 2.xdl file posted above.

TBI error code information: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...roubleshooting

dave w

error codes.JPG

Electronic Ignition!
    Awesome, thanks for showing me that. I just discovered that whole drop just now. I'll take a look and post back!

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey ya'll. I updated the BIN to a file that the computer likes to get rid of the code 51. I also re-timed the engine and re-routed the wires and got rid of code 42.

1. Injector duty cycle is still way too high. Is there anything in the tune that can effect this? Or is this something mechanical effecting the injectors?
    2. My IAC works a lot better now. Still idling too high though.
    3. The vacuum is still sitting around 15 - is anyone able to confirm
    4. I managed to get into closed loop. Things don't change much performance-wise there though.

BIN File ASDW 87 5.7L 4 speed manual: ASDW 87 R-V Truck 5.7TBI 4 speed manual.bin
    XDF: -1227747-V5.9.3.xdf
    ADX: -1227747-V5.2.adx

Newest datalog file: Data Log 6 - Closed Loop Achieved.xdl

Will continue reading up on stuff tonight, but appreciate any input.

There's a patch that should give you accurate BPW and SA in your .bin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PlayingWithTBI; 03-24-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added 2nd snip

Electronic Ignition!
    Everything looks as it should now. Thank you! I just did a quick jaunt up the street and datalogged - can be seen here: Datalog 7 with Hack Applied.xdl

Starting to get a small feel for how Tunerpro works.
    Now I can really start data logging and tuning. Just looking at the graph, it looks awful, no wonder its a dog right now.
    Thanks again for the help so far guys. I am sure I will have some more questions as I start to datalog and tune. I will post back.

Electronic Ignition!
    I am looking to add VSS to the system. Is there any replacement for the Painless Performance 60115 2ppr? All I can find is the 60116 which is 4ppr. Most of what I am reading says that the 7747 reads 2ppr. I am reading about adding a DRAC to the system, but I would prefer to keep the system simpler if possible... Any advice?

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave!

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey all, little update. I now have a VSS installed and operating. Also have an Innovate Wideband that doesn't seem to be working properly.
    The wide band isn't tied into the datalog or anything. It's been about 3 years since it was used last. I bought an Ostrich 2.0 for quicker/easier tuning.
    I spent some time today trying to get things running a little smoother.
    Once warm, it actually idles quite well, although sometime the INT climbs to the 170s stating a lean condition? but it idles very well regardless. I seem to be having an issue with the narrowband possibly constantly telling the computer a lean condition in most the cells, even after several attempts of using Dave's excel sheet that help with correcting the tune based off the BLM.
    The check engine for lean O2 sensor also keeps going off (Error 44). It's a brand new sensor, so I have a hard time believing it's bad already - AC Delco brand.
    Every once in a while the Error 51 also goes off for PROM issues... which if I just re-upload tune on the Ostrich, it goes away. I am using ASDW for the base tune, which goes with the 7747 ECU that I am using.
    Should I replace the O2 sensor and try again??
    Here are a couple of the logs from today, please take a look if you have second.
    ADX:-1227747-V5.2.adx
    ASDW BIN: 4.26.2020 - After datalog 2.bin
    4.26.2020 Datalog 4.xdl
    4.26.2020 Datalog 3.xdl
    4.26.2020 datalog 2.xdl
    Last edited by snoobly; 04-28-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Did several more rounds of datalog and tune today. Seems like it's running really rich now, but it also seems like its running a lot smoother with more power. I messed with the spark table and really ramped up the VE table. Anyone have thoughts on how this tune is looking?
    ADX: -1227747-V5.2.adx
    The tune while datalogging: 4.28.2020 Spark Advance Table and VE Table Increased.bin
    The datalog: 4.28.2020 Datalog after work 3.xdl

After the datalog and making modifications to the tune, this is what I have. I have not yet tested it out though:
    4.28.2020 SA Table and VE Table Increased after Drive home - Datalog Ready.bin

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey all,
    I’m a little stumped, could use some ideas. I have been toying with IAC, VE, and whatnot. The tune continues to want me to add fuel, so I do. It idles good, runs okay, doesn’t have the power I would expect. I reek of fuel now because I’m running so rich, but the BLMs still day I’m lean. I have checked for exhaust leaks etc.. it purrs and is nice and quiet. I can’t find any soot from any holes either. I have a wideband (Innovate Motorsports MTX-L) but I don’t know if I really trust it reading full lean (22.4). I feel like I wouldn’t be running at all and my nose also says the opposite.

Attached screen shots show TunerPro RT O2 sensor data, both normal and abnormal.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached screen shots show TunerPro RT O2 sensor data, both normal and abnormal.

dave w
    Hey Dave, thanks for the input. I have double checked mine and it definitely doesn't look like your shot of the "Normal".
    O2 Sensor Reading.jpg

This sensor is brand new though, I have a hard time believing its shot already. I am trying to think what would cause the voltage to read off. Any ideas?
    Thanks!