Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM TBI 383 $0D bad human memory need some guidance.

Fuel Injected!

GM TBI 383 $0D bad human memory need some guidance.

Hi folks. I am tuning my second 383 with a $0d mask but things have changed over the last several years, including versions of Tunerpro. Quite frankly it has been a while and my memory is getting grey as I don't tune too often. I will cut to the chase on the questions I have now, I certainly appreciate any help.

Configuration:
    383 chevy stroker, TBI, 75 pph injectors, dart heads, edlebrock TBI manifold, COMP CAMS 206/212@0.050" and 0.480/0.488" lift, 112 lobe separation and 37 deg overlap, 9.2:1 compression. Tuning with a wideband O2.

Questions:
    a. I have recently upgraded to Tunerpro 5.0 and I need the latest $0d mask xdf and ads file, Mark Mansur suggest you folks, can anyone share?
    b. My VE tables are maxed out. What is the proper way to adjust them. I have heard of decreasing the injector flowrate or increasing the cylinder volume. What is the best way to approach this so I don't have tuning headaches later down the road.
    c. I am tuning open loop to start. I have disabled the O2 sensor via increasing the closed loop temperature. What else should be disabled and how do I disable it for closed loop tuning including warm up?
    d. Can anyone point me to an excel spreadsheet to handle both the on idle and off idle VE tables, I know these are tied together in a strange way.
    e. What determines BLM values? I realize 128 is the ideal, but how does that relate to the fuel air ratio. Does this relate to the desired fuel air ratio?
    f. I don't recall how to calculate the injector duty cycle or ms pulsewidth. If I have 75 pph injectors how do I calculate the PW for ~85% duty cycle?
    g. What is a good TPS voltage and IAC counts? 0.5V/10?

If anyone can shed any light on these items I would be greatful as they would get me moving further on this project, i am beginning to wish I had a holley carb again, just want this thing on the road and to pass emissions.

Link to $OD information, including TunerPro V5.0 files: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

The Wide Band O2 (WBO2) sensor spreadsheet is setup for Near Idle / Off Idle tuning (requires closed loop tuning and using both a WBO2 and factory O2 sensor): http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet Instruction on WBO2 tuning included in the .zip file. Screen shots below showing Closed Loop WBO2 tuning.

The AEM 30-4110 WBO2 is Plug-n-Play with $OD: https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...uego-afr-gauge

"Lowering" the injector flow rate is a good tuning method when the VE Tables are maxed out.

The stock TBI chip spark advance is not optimal. The stock Vortec L31 timing table might be a better option?, http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Throttle-ONLY!

dave w

1-5-20_Off_dle.jpg

1-5-20_Near Idle.jpg

1-5-20_PE.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave!
    I am just using my WB 02 to read the AF ratio, I am not monitoring it directly in Tunerpro so when I get the tune close I was going to close the loop and then record BLM values for use to modify the VE tables in excel. Are you suggesting that I should be working to tune closed loop? I assume based on recorded BLM values I would need those for the spreadsheet and closed loop tuning. I have my prior 383 timing table but I will check out the L31 table. I will check out the other info for the V5.0 info.

I forgot to ask. Of the ADS files there are several in the link for the $0d. Trans1, trans2, advanced.... can you recommend which one I should use?

Regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by 383K1500; 02-29-2020 at 03:01 AM.

I use Bluecat transmission tuning software: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software The Bluecat tables will need to be reconfigured (Transposed) for $OD.

I like the strategy using closed loop data for tuning a daily driver. WBO2 data is more accurate than BLM's when tuning Power Enrichment, Acceleration Enrichment, Choke and Warm Up. The computer sets / locks the BLM's to 128 during Power Enrichment, Acceleration Enrichment, Choke and Warm Up.

dave w

FYI: I did a Vortec headed 355 TBI and found the stock L31 spark tables a little lazy. LT1 tables were better...I tried auto at first but the T56 Camaro table was still by far the best for my 5spd swap truck. Don't know what trans you're running...but I'd run a table that matches your trans. Auto and manual load the engine differently.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, thanks for your input. I have a modified 4l60E. I am not trying to tune the trans at this time, so the adx does not matter unless you care about the trans? These are the files from a link on this site, but I am not sure which ones to use, based on what I have mentioned can you recommend which adx and xdf to use?
    tp5.PNG

Woody thanks for the insight. I will add that info to my list. Right now I just trying to get this engine up and running so I can take a drive.

I always used the advanced v251 on mine with great results.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    Got it, thank you sir!

Can someone please verify my off idle and on idle VE tables? I know these are tied together in a certain way. I am open loop, my WB02 reads 13.5 from idle up to about 1650 rpm then leans way out. Maybe I have another issue but I am suspecting my tables. If these look ok I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I may look at. If I wing the throttle to about 2400 and hold it my WB is at 12.7, as I slowly close the throttle it gets really lean between 2000 and 1650.

I was going to attach an excel file but I could not figure out how to do it. Only the pics

on idle VE.PNG
    off idle VE.PNG
    thanks!
    Last edited by 383K1500; 03-02-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Can someone please chime in on my prior post? Here is some additional information on what I have found, I unfortunately spent about 30 hours on this issue and have gotten nowhere, I would greatly appreciate some help. I do have short tube headers on this.
    -Commanded open loop, all tuning done below sitting in the garage not on the road.
    -Did some cold starts and tuned the choke with the WB
    -Tuned BLM's several times open loop
    -Engine still gets drastically lean around 1800 to 2000 rpm, if I wing the throttle and get it above 2000 the AFR is about 13.5
    -I put it back in closed loop, and the 02 sensor totally messes things up, engine goes lean ~17:1 and O2 sensor swings are wild. If I wing the throttle it comes back but I assume that is only accelerator pump fuel.
    I am suspecting the closed loop issue has to do with O2 sensor gains, thresh vs. airflow or one of the other O2 tables but I don't know if I am correct or which one I should start with.

thanks in advance,
    Mark

Are you able to post the TunerPro RT data log ".xdl" file?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Yes sir, I will pull something together.

The .bin file is needed also.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, here is the log file and bin. I noticed that when my WB02 reads ~13.5 the NB02 reads about 910mV. My map is pretty well tuned open loop sitting the garage out to 2400 rpm, in the 12's at the high rpm. Closed loop everything seems to lean out. I ran the log file steady at open loop then after closed loop I tried to gather data at several different engine speeds. At some speeds the mixture is closer to 14.7, some others it is very lean as you can probably tell by the engine temperature.
    thank you again for your help it is appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unfortunately, the data log did not have WBO2 data.

Link to my WBO2 Tuning Spreadsheet thread, with instruction for getting WBO2 data into the data log: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, my WB02 is separate. Do you have a link or information how I can hook the output up to the system so I can log? My wideband is a PLX SM-AFR, it has a 0-5 volt analog output.