Fair enough, I think we need to put this on hold and move on. I will revisit it once I have a chance to do a physical inspection, probably in a few weeks. I'd encourage anyone else who has the chance to also do so. As I said, I'm just as willing to see the results go either way and would in fact favor your viewpoint as it means less work for me. I just want it resolved. I know you think... well, let's not go there right now.

Anyway, the next step is to set the cam sensor pulse to match the CKP sensor. It will be a wasted effort if I have to change the position of the tone ring but I suppose it's a chance I will have to take. After that I will look at the coil logic outputs. I agree, those should be there regardless of the timing and regardless of the cam sensor for that matter. (It and the coils are presently unplugged.) This should point me to the actual problem.

How about this, if I can get it to run and the timing light either does or does not match the advance map we should be able to claim we've proven the case one way or the other. Sound reasonable? (This engine DOES have timing marks.)

Jim