Thread: Hi, New guy.

Carb and Points!

Hi, New guy.

Hi,

My name is Ron Schoolcraft. I am relatively new to EFI programming, but have already had some success at improving the performance of one of my trucks.

For background, I am a degreed mechanical engineer who has operated an independent consultant/contract engineering business for 20 years. Prior to that I worked for Allison Gas Turbine Division of General Motors designing engines and systems for helicopters and even the F35B Joint Strike Fighter. I also worked for Caterpillar Transmission Business Unit for a while before going out on my own. Caterpillar and Rolls-Royce (formerly Allison) were some of my first customers after going independent. I have also been a mechanic for over forty years, building and modifying engines, transmissions, transfer cases, axles, and other stuff for cars, trucks, tractors, construction equipment, and many other applications. I have done a lot with Diesel engines over the last 20 years.

My website is www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com for more information. My primary tuning focus for now is on the GM 6.5 Diesel engine. It doesn't look like you have much on that. I have Wester's tuning package for both OBD1 and OBD2 and have done some tuning trials. However, I have also been tuning a 1995 Chevy K1500 pickup with 5.7 TBI and have had real success in improving performance. I am looking at tuning a 1992 Chevy K1500 5.7 TBI and that is what led me to your forum. I found some information here that is helpful and I thought I should register.

The 160 baud rate TBI computer like the 92 K1500 computer can be a limiting factor for tuning a performance TBI engine.

The 8192 baud rate 93 - 95 TBI computer, offer more tuning capabilities for a performance TBI engine.

There is also the option to use the Dynamic EFI EBL Flash II computer offers more tuning capabilities for a performance TBI engine. https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

dave w

Carb and Points!
    The 1992 is for my nephew. He got talked into letting a guy install a 383 with a mild cam in his truck without talking to me. The extra displacement and cam are too much for the stock fueling and it is way down on power. He bought the 383 already assembled (again, without talking to me) so I don't know about its provenance. I got a spare 2732A EPROM off of eBay to play around with. After pulling it out of the carrier, I was able to read the code and it was identical to the stock AWLB bin that I found here. I was able to erase the chip, but I have not been able to write to it. I have a GQ-4x4 programmer and even with an external power adapter, the chip won't program. I had read that these chips are finicky so I was looking at doing the Craig Moats G2 memory adapter mod to put a newer style chip in it. I don't expect to be repeatedly tuning it, just give him an adaptation of what I did with my 95 so that his engine will run. My 95 is still stock displacement, but I installed a Comp Cams roller cam in it and needed to recalibrate the tune.

I had seen the EBL ECM setup already, but I think the Moates mod is probably where I am headed.

Thanks for the information.

There are 2732 chip variants, using either 12.5 volts, 21 volts, or 25 volts to program. Programming a 2732 chip with the incorrect voltage could permanently damage the chip.

A gearhead-efi post with information for upgrading 2732 chip to a 27SF512 chip: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...sion-(27SF512)

A gearhead-efi post with information for upgrading the 160 Baud 92 TBI computer to an 8192 Baud 93 - 95 TBI computer. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...out-Directions!

A gearhead-efi post with information about tuning an 8192 Baud 93 -95 computer with a Wide Band Oxygen Sensor (WBO2). http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

My low cost / optimal performance tuning plan for a vehicle like the 92 K1500 described above, would be convert to the 8192 Baud TBI computer (aka 16197427) and optimize performance with WBO2 Tuning.

The Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 eliminates the need for chips, and allows for real time tuning updates, even when driving

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN4240.jpg

dave w

Carb and Points!
    By the way, I see that my posts are classified as "Carb and Points". I assume that's because I'm new with only a couple of posts and that's sort of a derogatory label. That's OK, as I have made loads of power with carb and points setups in my old 67 Camaro back in the 80's. Whipped up on a lot of tuned port guys who thought they were pretty bad, as well as boosted GNX's back then. So, I'm fine with being labeled "Carb and Points".

Correct "Carb and Points" is based on the number of posts. I agree, "Carb and Points" it could be derogatory. More often than not, new members are beginning an EFI project for the first time. The previous administrator, set up the number of posts vs. nicknames. The current administrator decided to keep the number of posts vs. nickname that was set up.

dave w