Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 76' international scout conversion to tbi

Fuel Injected!

Cool 76' international scout conversion to tbi

Hi All, I am new to this communication process so feel free to direct my efforts. I am embarking upon this 76' scout II tbi conversion. I have been reading much information here and am in awe of the resource you all have created, just a little wobbly on the art of navigation. My next step is to visit the local junk (i mean "gold" yard) in search of a doner vehicle. From what i have gathered so far I'm looking for GM vintage 87' to 92' 5.7L (my project engine is an international harvester 345 ci and i am running a stock Chrysler 727 automatic transmission). I have compiled a list of wanted items ie ECM, Harness, sensors, etc. From what I gather the 1227747 would be the preferred ECM. I have read EagleMarks suggestions on collecting parts for the TBI conversion and think i have a good feel for the wrecking yard mission. Any suggestions? 1227747? Is this the proper way to start this thread? How do tags work? I am hoping my learning curve thru this process will eventually be Gold to someone with similar knowledge as myself embarking on this type of project. Thanks in advance, Ben

Fuel Injected!
    Further thoughts on the wrecking yard run. Distributor- I'm thinking i need to find a small cap gm distributor to adapt to my holley points style international distributor. I am retiered but have an extensive background in the machine trades. In looking for this small cap distributor am i looking for the same connectors used on the doner vehicle. More than likely the doner vehicle will be a full size pickup or suburban and will probably have the larger HEI distributor. Do i need to get the larger distributor as well for parts Ie EST module? Fuel System- My thoughts are to aquire as much of the fuel system hardware as possible, certainly all engine compartment fuel lines, pressure regulator, supply and return fittings etc. I have a new plastic fuel tank and plan to adapt an in tank fuel pump, maybe one designed for the doner vehicle? VSS- The international uses a speedometer cable that is driven off the transfer case. I'm thinking an adapter from JTR. EagleMark, your bench setup is genius and i have removed my intake manifold, set it up on a bench, and plan to do all the preliminary wiring per your process. Is there a Write-up that elaborates on wires to the floor, you said half of them would be eliminated, which ones will i need to save. I'm assuming ECM power, Crank wire, Fuel Pump. Like i said, i'm starting at the beginning so I would like to minimize the pain that will certainly result from a lack of research and planning on my part. Ben

Hi Ben,
    EagleMark lost his battle with cancer. His passion, wisdom, and sharing of information for the greater good ... "Anything Fuel Injection" ... still lives on within the website he created ... gearhead-efi.com

The "gold" yard has pro's and con's. Wiring harness from the 'gold" yard are likely to have broken connectors, oxidized wires, and deteriorated insulation. I recommend budgeting for a new TBI harness.

With some good machining skills a 1985 - 1991 Corvette Large Cap HEI can be adapted to an IH 345. Basically the DUI large cap HEI for the IH 345 has spud shaft and spud housing mounted to a Corvette distributor. Follow this DUI Link https://performancedistributors.com/...mv404-446-dui/ and look closely at the bottom of the distributor. DUI machined an extension housing and machined an extension shaft to fit a Corvette distributor.

dave w

Screen shots for an IH 392 TBI Adapter.

dave w

Upper Adapter_01.jpg

Upper Adapter_02.jpg

TBI adapterplate Binder Planet.JPG

Fuel Injected!
    dave w is always so helpful on this site. Always another thought would be to use a 2 wire distributor and mount an external gm efi module. Make sure to heat sink it, also correct the delay time as it needs ;)
    -Carl
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry to hear about EagleMarks Passing. RIP Brother your legacy lives on.
    Dave/Carl,
    Thanks for the info on the distributor, I checked it out and this certainly looks like an option for me. Is the corvette distributor different than other 5.7L chevy distributors? I agree with your new harness approach. Any suggestions where to buy? Should i be looking at remanufactured Throttle body and Chipped ECM as well? I am retiered on a limited budget so i would like to pull this "inject the scout" project off for under $1,000. I will research the 2 wire distributor idea also.
    Thanks guys
    Ben

Using a GM ignition module is the key to having the GM TBI computer control the spark advance timing. There are several distributor options for triggering an externally mounted GM Ignition Module. The options listed below are new aftermarket GM distributors that can be "made" to work with some machining and fabrication (make an adapter spud shaft and an adapter spud housing for the GM Large Cap HEI distributor like the DUI distributor has for the International 345).

GM offered two types of computer controlled spark advance Large Cap HEI distributors. The Corvette uses a screw down distributor cap. The Non-Corvette uses a spring loaded "J" hook hold down the distributor cap.

Link to Large Cap Non- Corvette HEI distributor with computer controlled spark advance - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...031050&jsn=452

Link to Large Cap Corvette HEI distributor with computer controlled spark advance - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...041264&jsn=569

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Very Cool, I think i will go with the "J" hook version for $120. less (I dont have a core). Any suggestions for the ECM of choice? 1227747?

The 1227747 is a "good" option for a TBI computer.

The 16197427 is a "better" option for a TBI computer, but sourcing a new 16197427 harness is usually more expensive.

There is also the option of a Dynamic EFI TBI computer http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php, which may or may not be the "best" option.

My personal choice would be the 16197427 computer, because it has much faster Baud Rate and cost's about the same as the 1227747.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Appreciate the response Dave. What would be a good donor vehicle for the 16197427?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainben View Post
    Appreciate the response Dave. What would be a good donor vehicle for the 16197427?
    The 16197427 has sibling part numbers, 16168625, 16196395, & 16156930 used in 1993 - 1995 S10 pickups and blazers, full size Pickups, & full size Vans with either the 4L60E or 4L80E transmission. The 16197427 and sibling computers are easily identified by the Red / Blue computer connectors.

If you ever imagined or ever considered upgrading the Chrysler 727 to 4L60E or 4L80E overdrive automatic, the 16197427 is the TBI computer to use.

dave w

s-l1600.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Dave,
    Interesting, I had an 99 z71 vortec pu with a 4L60E transmission. The vortec engine decided to self destruct. I'm guessing the 16197427 is the computer that was running the vortec (I remember the red and blue connectors). I aquiered a 92 suburban and swapped the engine from the 92 to the 99. I ran the 92 tbi engine with its original 1227747 (leaving the original computer to run accesories as necessary). I was never able to make the transmission talk and ended up going to a nv 4500 standard. From what i am now learning, the thing to do would have been run the 92 tbi with the 99 computer, thus retaining my ability to talk to the 4L60E. I'm really starting to enjoy this learning curve! Anyway as my present project progresses i will try not to act like i'm sure most of us newbies do and ask to many questions that have been answered many times already. I am learning to search and find. Appreciate your patience with me to this point.
    Ben

The 16197427 and its sibling computer part numbers were only used from 1993 to 1995. The 99 z71 vortec did not use the 16197427.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    So if i use the 16197427 and my set up is basic TBI (IH 345, 727 automatic transmission, Throtlle body and associated sensors from a 5.7L gm donor, aftermarket VSS in the speedo cable, modified GM/IH distributor) where would i start for a bin file? Was the TBI still being used when the 4L60E was inroduced? If i did go to an electronic transmission, what would i use for a bin? What does a person use for computer bin files when mismatching non standard engine/transmission combinations? Take it easy on me now, I am a new student to this process, thanks for being willing to take the time to pass on your expertise, i absolutely appreciate this.
    Ben

The TBI - IH345 - 727 starter chip .bin file could be based on a stock 1994 GM 5.7 liter chip BJLF .bin file ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D ). The spark tables and fuel tables re-programmed for the IH345. To use the 727 trans, the 4L60E is disabled in the chip programming and the chip is reprogrammed for a NON-Electronic transmission.

Chip reprogramming is very lengthy topic to discuss. The hardware and software for reprogramming a chip are affordable.

The 16197427 and sibling part numbers were used on 4L60E transmission from 1993 - 1995. Yes the 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions were used with TBI engine from 1993 - 1995.

The throttle body and associated sensors from 1993 - 1995 Chevy 350 / engine VIN Code "K" will work with the 16197427. Chevy made so many VIN Code "K" engines ... Google can't count them all... Likely there is donor VIN Code "K" vehicle near your

dave w