Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 76' international scout conversion to tbi

Fuel Injected!
    Does this (93'-95') sound like a reasonable approach for a pretty smart guy with alot to learn, Or would i be better off going with something more immediately usable (Ie earlier setup with 1227747) with the intention to upgrade as my knowledge allows to the faster computer. I understand that reprogramming is a lengthy topic. I am willing to research and obtain the necessary equipment to do the programming. I have downloaded tunerpro and plan to start loading and learning to work with the files (thanks for the link). Sounds like many of the 93' -95' features including the transmission (depending on donor vehicle) would need to be dissabled or programmed to avoid codes associated with no connection. Can the original chip in the computer be reprogrammed or does one install a chip holder and change chips? I'll become more confident as i further understand the programming process. Proficiency will come with experience. Thanks again Dave, starting to look like you are one of one at this point.

There are multiple options for TBI and every option has a cost / feature trade-off. My choice for a novice, expert, or any skill level between novice / expert is the 16197427 with the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0. The Ostrich will flash with TunerPro RT, no need for chips!

dave w

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN4240.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Wow, Looks like the perfect tool for me. So is the 16197427 28 pin? Will i need any of the socket booster or other accesories? I am running a laptop on windows 10. Any problems there with the TunerproRt Moates setup? I can get the equipment/chip and burn a permenant chip once i'm happy with the tune (is one ever really "happy" with the tune). Sounds like this is a good idea based on vehicle dead battery issues. Thanks for this direction , as a begining tuner this should allow me to experiment on a real time basis, Very Cool! I am headed to the wrecking yard next week in search of a 93'-95' GM vin code K.
    Ben

Fuel Injected!
    Dave,
    I am looking at getting tunerprort loaded with needed files. I looked at the 5.7 liter BJLF bin you suggested. There is another (next in list) BJLH 94' C-K Truck 5.7L TBI 4L60E 3.73/3.42 gears. My gears are 3.56. any reason not to use the BJLH? additionally there is a BJYL bin file 350 TBI 700r4. Would this get me any closer based on my use of the 727 chrysler automatic? Will i need additional files for tunerpro, xdf? adx? if so please advise.
    Thanks in advance
    Ben

Fuel Injected!
    I looked at that 350 TBI 700r4 bin and it has a modified timing table for some specific engine. BJLF, BJLH and BJLJ are all identical timing and fueling and differ only in 4L60E shifting tables. I would use the BJLF as there seems to be some weird extra code in the BJLH bin file on this website that isn't in any of the 3 other BJLH chips I've read. Or I'll attach a BJLH bin I read you can use. You will need the XDF file for editing the bin and the adx for datalogging.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like the plan to start working with TunerPro RT.

The BJLH .bin file in post #20 is a "Known Good" choice. BJYL_700R4 file is likely a modified file. For a beginner, starting with an unmodified "Known Good" stock chip is a good plan.

Go to the gearhead-efi $OD link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

Download: Advanced $0D TP5 v251.xdf
    Download: A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Guys,
    c5, I appreciate you chiming in here. I downloaded the BJLH file you provided and i also got the .xdf .adx files Dave suggested. Loaded the xdf and the bin files to tunerpro. Do i use the aquisition tab to download the adx file? Probably wont need that till i get my hardware? Any suggestions of where to start my studies within tunerpro? If changes are necessary where will i likely be making them (flags, scalars, tables)? With the thought of Disabeling the 4l60E I looked around a bit and found the manual transmission tab under flags. Says to check this if using a TH 350 or TH 400 with no converter lockup, would this be a good appoach to disable the 4l60E? I'm going to minimize any changes to this bin (i will keep a unchanged copy).
    You fellows are saving me from having to learn everything the hard way, I do appreciate the help very much
    Ben

This TunerPro link will help: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-a-must-read!-)
    it's based on the 1227747. TunerPro for the 16197427 is nearly identical to the 1227747

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Substantial mountain snow and below 0 temps have dampened my forward momentum here. Junk yards are no place to be with this kind of cold! I continue to "play" with tunerpro and feel like i'm making some progress. I see i was upgraded to Electronic Ignition! Progress man, one foot in front of the other. Any thoughts on this adapter for the 2 bbl international?
    http://hamiltonfuelinjection.com/pro...y-adapter.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mountainben View Post
    Substantial mountain snow and below 0 temps have dampened my forward momentum here. Junk yards are no place to be with this kind of cold! I continue to "play" with tunerpro and feel like i'm making some progress. I see i was upgraded to Electronic Ignition! Progress man, one foot in front of the other. Any thoughts on this adapter for the 2 bbl international?
    http://hamiltonfuelinjection.com/pro...y-adapter.aspx
    I've designed several TBI adapters. Sample IH 4 barrel design screen shots below. There could be a trade off in TBI adapter design, some adapter designs are focused on flow and other adapter designs are focused on low cost and / or "one size fits all". Sometimes it can be challenging to design an adapter to provide both optimal flow performance and low cost.

Gradcad has time saving downloadable CAD for the "do it yourself" designers: https://grabcad.com/library?sort=mos...ed&tags=holley

Attached is a drawing for the IH four barrel carburetor / TBI throttle body.

dave w

Upper Adapter_01.jpg

Upper Adapter_02.jpg

Upper_Lower_Assembly.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 02-17-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Have you fabricated or had this 2barrel design fabricated? Any feedback on how it worked out? I have machinist buddies who still have access to cnc machine tools and would probably be willing to fab your design for minimal cost. Do you or anyone you know have one of these for sale?

I can design a 2BBL adapter based on the drawing attached in post #25.

The inserted image in this post is an incomplete design that tappers / drafts the 50mm 454 Throttle Body down to 40mm bores on the IH 2BBL intake.

If your interested in knowing more about the design, please send me Private Message (PM).

dave w

2BBL_Adapter.JPG

Fuel Injected!
    Once again it's snowing in the mountains of new mexico. I sent a pm on most of this dialog, I just wanted to post some of it here for the sake of continuing this thread for anyone who might be interested in this project. I went to the wrecking yard and found a 95' chevy 1500 pick up with most of what i was looking for. Got the 16197427, throttle body, distributor, fuel lines, air cleaner, harness and associated sensors. I'm thinking you make a good point on using a fresh harness, the junk yard harness is questionable at best. The computer i got says it has BJYL. The donor pick up had the 4l60E. I downloaded the BJLH bin file you recomended, I still plan on using it unless you recommend going with a BJYL file.
    Ben

1995 is a UNIQUE ONE YEAR ONLY 4L60E, that uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Torque Converter. BJLH is for a 1994 Pickup. It's personal choice which .bin file to start with, but I would personally select BJLH to start with.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    There are multiple options for TBI and every option has a cost / feature trade-off. My choice for a novice, expert, or any skill level between novice / expert is the 16197427 with the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0. The Ostrich will flash with TunerPro RT, no need for chips!

dave w

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN4240.jpg
    Nothing to add here... G1 is pictured in DaveW pic but not mentioned. Sorta remember another thread where it wasn't mentioned and op received his box of shiny new toys from Moates only to find out he still couldn't play!
    https://www.moates.net/g1-memory-ada...-etc-p-32.html

Edit: Kinda went back and read post #1...this is dependent on which computer you decide to use.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 02-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.