Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM TBI tunning.

Carb and Points!

GM TBI tunning.

Hello

2nd time posting here. I was wondering if anybody here offers service of tuning remotely.

I have access to a chip burner and have my aldl cable.

I will be in need of of tune for a 305 Tbi with an LT1 cam and full exhaust, everything else is stock. Doing a resto mod on a firebird and don't really want to go thru swapping engines.

Needs to be California emissions compliant.

Thank you.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan_79 View Post
    Hello

2nd time posting here. I was wondering if anybody here offers service of tuning remotely.

I have access to a chip burner and have my aldl cable.

I will be in need of of tune for a 305 Tbi with an LT1 cam and full exhaust, everything else is stock. Doing a resto mod on a firebird and don't really want to go thru swapping engines.

Needs to be California emissions compliant.

Thank you.
    Kind of hard to get it perfect without a 5-gas analyzer and a dyno. Closest you could hope for is narrowband BLM correction and stockish timing map outside of PE.

I have done email tuning on a few OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles.

Full exhaust is going to be the challenge. It changes the exhaust backpressure, often preventing the EGR valve from opening correctly, setting an EGR code and failing NOx.

Carb and Points!
    Will the EGR have issues even if i keep the Catalytic converter?

I'm curious why not try tuning the Firebird yourself?

You have a Chip Burner and ALDL Cable. A laptop computer using TunerPro RT is the only piece missing to tune the Firebird yourself.

For a starter chip, the LT1 timing table could be adapted into the TBI timing table. Then the fuel table can tuned with BLM's.

There is also the option to upgrade to the Dynamic EFI system ( https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php ), which has an auto tuning feature.

TBI Emissions tuning can be challenging. TBI Performance tuning can be challenging. A performance / emission tune might be more challenging that either an emission tune or performance tune.

If you have intermediate Excel skills, tuning with a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) would be a better tuning option than using BLM's ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet ).

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan_79 View Post

..... Needs to be California emissions compliant.
    There's the problem! Do it yourself and if you get caught claim it was there when you got the car. Legally they would have to do one of those CARB emissions exemptions that manufactures pay big bucks for. It may be possible to tune it to pass the field inspection, but really any computer changes are illegal unless the exemption paperwork/tests have been done.

https://www.autoanything.com/resourc...s-carb-exempt/

Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    There's the problem! Do it yourself and if you get caught claim it was there when you got the car. Legally they would have to do one of those CARB emissions exemptions that manufactures pay big bucks for. It may be possible to tune it to pass the field inspection, but really any computer changes are illegal unless the exemption paperwork/tests have been done.

https://www.autoanything.com/resourc...s-carb-exempt/
    CARB is an interesting topic. It seems unlikely CA emission testing includes reading the PROM chip? It seems unlikely CA emission testing would know anything about "Checksum" comparison, original chip vs. reprogrammed chip.

I don't live in California, so I have ZERO interest learning about the California emission testing program. I live in Washington State, which ended vehicle emission testing Dec 31th 2019 .... freedom under the hood at last!

dave w

No, I doubt they would find it but if they did, it would not be legal. There are actions that California can and will take against tuners that knowingly alter "emissions" for street driven vehicles without a CARB Exemption. The people that I know that tune in that state make customers sign "off road use only" disclaimers. The way the original post was worded, I wanted them to know technically it's all "illegal" in California. There are ways to cheat the system, but its best not to get caught doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    If you have intermediate Excel skills, tuning with a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) would be a better tuning option than using BLM's ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet ).

dave w
    am i to understand that all that the hardware needed is just the wbo2 sensor mounted and wired into the "B16" terminal as mentioned in the notes for wbo2 tuning, or is there more to it than that?

thanks, in advance..

The WBO2 does not replace the original O2 sensor. There will be two sensors in the exhaust; the original factory O2 sensor and the WBO2 sensor for tuning.

The chip needs to reprogrammed for WBO2 tuning, because the WBO2 "Hack" is re-purposing the the Linear EGR input. The chip re-programming notes are in the .xdf file.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    i saw that in the notes, but what i am unclear on is do i just need to add the wide band o2 sensor or do i need the a Air/Fuel Ratio controller, or does the pcm act as the AFR after the hack?

Picture of the AEM 30-4110 WBO2 kit. The AEM 30-4110 WBO2 kit is Plug-n-Play with the 16197427 type TBI computers. EVERYTHING needed for WBO2 tuning is in the AEM 30-4110, nothing else is needed. There are only 3 wires to hook up, Ignition, Ground, and B16 on the computer.

dave

30-4110-kit-afr-face.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    ok thanks for clearing that up... so does this become part of the permanent system, or is it a tool to be transferred from one vehicle to another used only when you are tuning?

i really appreciate your patience and knowledge, when getting into a new area of expertise (tuning in this case... ) it at times seems like trying to drink out of a firehose or better yet trying to eat an elephant.. i just gotta remember "one byte at a time!"

thanks, Grum

Quote Originally Posted by grumbolt View Post
    is it a tool to be transferred from one vehicle to another used only when you are tuning?
    Yes, it is a tool.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    awesome! thanks, i have that as well as the apu1 and related stuff on the way!

warning...... dumb questions incoming in about a week lol

thanks again,
    grum

Fuel Injected!
    so my ecm does not use the linear egr, it uses pin E1 it looks like pin b16 is only used on california emmisions trucks on the 94 sonoma..

do i leave that egr connected and just add pin b16 in the mix? i am thinking of eliminating the egr being this is an off road vehicle and it would be one less thing to go wrong.. if it would hurt the performance of the engine then i would like to keep it...

pcm 94_Page_3.jpg