Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: closed loop Lterm BLM's 120 help

Super Moderator
    generally, a lower RPM idle will increase fuel economy by an amount you'll never see.

for proof, take a look at IAC counts. you'll notice them slightly lower(unless you're running significantly less SA where you're now idling, in which case they could be higher). since at idle the IAC is the main path of air into the engine, less counts = less air = less fuel.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by halfazn View Post
    I am unable to upload the .uni file but can email if requested. New to forum and 1st day tuning and logging. Thanks
    uni is now a supported attachment.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    My runs are making the files slightly larger than allowed. I am also unable to upload my bin files. The car is running better now though. Somewhere during full warm up and 10 minutes into the run the idle surges for a little bit. I am going to clean my MAF and just for the heck of it replace all of my Vacumme lines today if it stops raining.

I have ziped both bin files and uni files, for reference. The only changes Commanded that will be different in the bin file is idle settings. I figured out how to change that last night. The uni file is from datamasterEE 4.0, and the bin file is from tuner cats.

Correct me if I am wrong but I read BLM < 128 was lean and BLM >128 was rich? I may be reading it wrong though.

My engine bolt ons are as follows.

95 Impala SS, CC502 218/224 112 lsa, 1.5 roller rockers, mid length headers 1 5/8 primaries, full 2.5" cat back true duals w/ H pipe, cai, 2200 lockup stall, 3.73 eaton posi rear gear, unmolested iron heads, MSD opti, MSD coil, LT4 knock module.

Thanks
    I've looked at the files attached. I'd like to help, but I just don't have the time at this moment to learn some of the things I need to know about $EE tuning. The DataMatster TTS Histogram shows four Air Flow parameters. I'm seeing there are four MAF tables. I'm also seeing two VE tables. At the moment, I don't know which is controlling which MAP / MAF for fuel / spark. From what I can tell, using the DataMaster TTS Histogram, the computer is doing a good job of keeping the AFR happy. I'm seeing the Histogram Short Term showing lean, while the Histogram Long Term is rich. I wish I had more time to learn / help, but I don't.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 05-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I have everything buttoned up pretty tight vacume wist intake through throttle body. I have run the VE calibrations made from vemaster into my PCM and have it looking a little closer to balanced than lean. New logs and tune update posted. I made idle adjustments to 700 from 750 get my lope back once the engine is warmed and in closed idle. I do not know how that effects my MPG setting it lower, but I love the sound.

I am looking around to see what other people have done to get the snappy throttle response while running cam. It bugs me when I step on it from a stop and it bogs. I hope that once I dial in my VE tables that I can take that step.

I am going to play around with my transmision to see how to firm up my shift points while not in PE mode. It used to shift nice and hard from 1<2 gear from part throttle. It feels smooth and slushy right now.
    95 is a little differant then 94 in the trans has an extra wire for PWM TCC, but the mask is the same for both years in TunerPro and TunerCat. So I don't know if you can use the entire bin file to start like I did? I used a 1994 Caddilac V4P RPO code Towing option bin file to start as the tranny points are way differant then any other LT1 bin file. Shift points are higher, drives much better, kickdown actually works! Then used shift times from performance table in regular table and that was all it needed to acually feel shift points. It actually drives more like a performance car or truck instead of one big slush... tranny temps also went down.

Be very careful about changing shift times in one table without understanding how it affects another! This is how I learned to just start with the Caddy Tow bin file. When I changed my origanal bin, at highway cruise it shifted back and forth from 3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4 and I didn't even feel it, noticed when I got a tranny hot error code.

You could try to use the compare funtion in TunerPro and copy all tranny tables from the 94 Caddy tow bin to 95 whatever bin, that and performance shift times in regular table was all I needed to be happy. Then do a tranny datalog to see what is happening!

I wonder if lowering idle RPM to get the cam lope has got you off tune and caused the bog at snapping the throttle from idle? Usually bigger cams like a higher idle... EFI does not like lope, that puts it in a constant state of correction. Your cam has lowered idle vacuum, now you made it even lower by reducing idle RPM...

-= =-

My runs are making the files slightly larger than allowed. I am also unable to upload my bin files. The car is running better now though. Somewhere during full warm up and 10 minutes into the run the idle surges for a little bit. I am going to clean my MAF and just for the heck of it replace all of my Vacumme lines today if it stops raining.
    What is the extension of bin file? I will raise file size for uni.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've looked at the files attached. I'd like to help, but I just don't have the time at this moment to learn some of the things I need to know about $EE tuning. The DataMatster TTS Histogram shows four Air Flow parameters. I'm seeing there are four MAF tables. I'm also seeing two VE tables. At the moment, I don't know which is controlling which MAP / MAF for fuel / spark. From what I can tell, using the DataMaster TTS Histogram, the computer is doing a good job of keeping the AFR happy. I'm seeing the Histogram Short Term showing lean, while the Histogram Long Term is rich. I wish I had more time to learn / help, but I don't.

dave w
    The four MAF tables are just increase of air from nothing to everything. The 2 VE tables are what you like for idle and off idle. There is a point in mask where fueling changes from Sequential to batch which is very low, more like an idle thing.

For the OP using VE master it will only work to IIRC 3000 RPM and has to be done in SD mode which can be checked/unchecked in switches. This removes MAF from the equastion to get VE tables correct.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    The four MAF tables are just increase of air from nothing to everything. The 2 VE tables are what you like for idle and off idle. There is a point in mask where fueling changes from Sequential to batch which is very low, more like an idle thing.

For the OP using VE master it will only work to IIRC 3000 RPM and has to be done in SD mode which can be checked/unchecked in switches. This removes MAF from the equastion to get VE tables correct.
    VE Master will work with $EE

dave w

VE Master will work with $EE

dave w
    Ok, I have enough time to work with VE Master $EE. I set VE Master to 4000 RPM / BLM 128. See attached .bin after VE Master, and the screen shot showing the compare of the two VE Tables.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Maybe it was another VE master I used but remember 3000 RPM. Seems your adjustments went HUGE after that?

-= =-

Maybe it was another VE master I used but remember 3000 RPM. Seems your adjustments went HUGE after that?
    Ok, this time I left VE Master with the default settings (blm 124 / rpm 3000)

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I have done the same but used 128 for default blm. On another subject I am not sure if under normal driving my TCC should lock
    up. It is set for 2200, but I thought it should only lock up under cruise and wide open throttle. Feel like it changes bear and slips at 2200. I will work that later, its just bugging me fr some reason. I have the BLM set decent thus far, and have progressed to my extended tables. It leans at average 140 at 95 percent tps from 3 grand all the way to 4900 so i added .4 percent timing to those tables between 55 to 85 kpa tables. I will log once it stops raining and the humidity goes down.

Hopefully all the ve tables will be good within the week so that I can adress the bog that I get from a stop and roll. Thanks soo far guys. You are all verry helpful on this forum.

Ok, this time I left VE Master with the default settings (blm 124 / rpm 3000)

dave w
    See those numbers look about right from stock motor to cammed motor don't they? But read his post and he's lean above that so maybe it needs added and smoothed out from 3000 up? Or what I said below...

It leans at average 140 at 95 percent tps from 3 grand all the way to 4900 so i added .4 percent timing to those tables between 55 to 85 kpa tables
    That's probably in PE and I don't think that little or any timing is going to add fuel. Look for your PE fuel at WOT and add some there!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I have tuned an LT1 with cam simalar to yours in SD mode and MAF calibrations untouched with no issues, I'm glad to becuase I do not know correct procedure for tuning MAF calibrations?
    You have just got my attention with this. I would prefer a speed density tune in open loop/closed. If you have had successful tunes on LT1 with similar cam, I would like to see how this effects my setup. I am curious if you can assist me in this area while using my .bin file. I would rather be richer than the fixed 14.7:1 ratio used in closed loop so that I can maximize my potential with my current set up. I am not afraid of MPG it means almost nothing to me, I only want performance for a DD and for track. I would like to keep my tune thus far to pass inspections, and venture into the speed density route for my DD.

V/R
    Last edited by halfazn; 05-22-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Well doing the SD tune will only work closed loop or you will not get any BLM learn numbers to adjust your VE table from. From there you could lean fuel table by % to achieve a lower AFR, but this will change with weather. Correct way to tune open loop would be wide band O2 sensor. Still changes with weather... but like I said once the SD tune was spot on and I enabled MAF it was better!

That said, with this ECM this can all be acheived closed loop and still have 12.8 to 1 AFR at WOT with no drivability issues and good MPG if you keep your foot out of it.

Passing inspection is another whole topic depending on what your state does?

-= =-