Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help on the next Step

Electronic Ignition!

Need Help on the next Step

This is my first data log with TP. I have a 94 k1500 5.7 tbi 4l80e freeflowing exhaust ultimate tbi mods new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Timing is set to 6btdc. Here is my first data log. Seems to run great till the rpms jump past 2300. Please let me know what I can do to make it run better.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quick Summary of the data log 1

dave w

BLM's.jpg

Spark Advance.jpg

Knock Retard.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave w! So would my next step be adjusting my timing curve? Very new to this but wanting to learn as much as I can.

Not every member has the same tuning strategy.

Data logs are a good way to "see" what is happening with the tune, aka rich / lean and spark knock.

Course tuning strategy:
    Adjust distributor base timing to "see" what happens with the tune.
    Adjust fuel pressure to "see" what happens with the tune.

Fine tuning strategy:
    Adjust only a few cells in the fuel table to "see" what happened with the tune.
    Adjust only a few cells in the spark table to "see" what happened with the tune.

Adjusting the distributor back to ZERO and adding 6 degrees to the entire spark table should have the same net effect on the tune. Typically adding 6 degrees to the entire spark table will increase performance. Sometimes adding 6 degrees to the entire spark table will cause spark knock and / or starting problems when the engine is hot.

Tuning is 3 dimensional.
    RPM vs. MAP vs. Spark Advance
    RPM vs. MAP vs. Fuel (Volumetric Efficiency / VE)

Typically an engine running at 5000 RPM's will need more Fuel than the same engine running 500 RPM's
    Typically an engine running at 5000 RPM's will need a different spark advance than the same engine running at 500 RPM's

Typically an engine running in a vehicle weighing 7,000 pounds will have different fuel and spark advance requirements than the same engine running in a vehicle weighing 3,000 pounds.

Typically less spark advance will have less knock, but not always. Typically more spark advance will have more performance, but not always.

Tuning = Trial and Error

Step one - change something and "see" what happens

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave w! I will mess with my base timing first, try to find the sweet spot then go from there starting with 0. Great advice! How did I get to the first 2 tables you listed in your first comment? Another question, there where 3 bins ARAP APYP ANZA? Kinda confused on which one I need and what the difference between the 3 are? Also 2 XPFs, tpv4 and tpv5...I selected tpv5 when I did my data log and the ANZA one. Last question and I know im not there yet but the options under my truck, 94 k1500 5.7 only came with the 4l60 adx files through tunerpro website. I haven't had the time to check my ecm# but will soon. My truck came factory with 4l80e, all options except the 14b sf which I wish it did lol. The fuel pump I believe is stock, so 185k seems a lot and I have a new one from the earlier vortec after reading about changing it to that one as a suggestion. Something I plan to do soon. Hey I want to say thanks again for the help so far!

Definition Files $OE and $31 are the most common definition files for 93 - 95 4L80E vehicles.

gearhead-efi link to $OE information: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OE

gearhead-efi link to $31 information: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-31

I used an Excel spreadsheet for the top two screen shots in post #2. A similar spreadsheet for Wide Band O2 sensor (WBO2) tuning is posted here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks again Dave w for all the helpful information. Here is my up to date data log, fully warmed up with the base timing set to 0. Also I forgot to mention when I installed the new plugs, ac delco rapid fires, I gapped them all to 40. I will next pull all them and gap them to the spec of 35 then data log again. Please let me know if you see anything that has changed from your prospective. I also got rid of the high flow cat as it was rattling pretty bad. It was an amazon knock off and I regret buying it. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierlong View Post
    Thanks again Dave w for all the helpful information. Here is my up to date data log, fully warmed up with the base timing set to 0. Also I forgot to mention when I installed the new plugs, ac delco rapid fires, I gapped them all to 40. I will next pull all them and gap them to the spec of 35 then data log again. Please let me know if you see anything that has changed from your prospective. I also got rid of the high flow cat as it was rattling pretty bad. It was an amazon knock off and I regret buying it. Thanks again!
    What .adx file did you use?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I used the 0D$

Electronic Ignition!
    It was the 0D$ tpv5

Electronic Ignition!
    I went ahead and downloaded the 0E$. Data does look different. I suppose that one might be the right one? Please let me know what you think. Again, thanks Dave w!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierlong View Post
    I went ahead and downloaded the 0E$. Data does look different. I suppose that one might be the right one? Please let me know what you think. Again, thanks Dave w!
    Please post the stock .bin file your started tuning with, I'll look to see what definition file your posted .bin file is. If you don't have the original stock .bin file, please post the .bin file that was in the computer when you used for the data logging.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    First log was with ANZA.bin, 0D_TPV5_v250.xdf, and A217_0D_v250.adx. That was everything from the tuner pro website under my year and model. 94 K1500 5.7tbi. And it is all stock

I'm really challenged at the moment!!!! ANZA is NOT the correct chip code in your computer.

ALL the $OE and all $31 chip codes start with the LETTER "B".

We need to get on the same sheet of music if we are go any further.

Post pictures of the computer label. Post pictures of the chip.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok that I can do. That will be behind my glovebox? I will post back with pictures as so as I make time tomorrow. Thanks again Dave w!