Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunerpro RT $4F connection problems

Fuel Injected!
    I'll give those a try tomorrow. When I used the $42 mask, I also used its XDF and when I used the $4F mask I used the $4F XDF. I think when I tried using the $4f this morning, I tried it before connecting with the $42 but I'll try again tomorrow to make sure.

On a somewhat unrelated noted, I've been chasing a sputtering idle for some time now and today I was working on adjusting my minimum idle air (I think my chip has the idle set extremely low because even with the TB adjusted to 550 RPMs, my IAC count is zero). I still couldn't get the idle to smooth out once it goes into closed loop (idles fine at the same RPMs while in open loop). I was once again checking for vacuum leaks and replaced the gaskets above and below my TB spacer which may have helped a little but when I sprayed lighter fluid by the base of my EGR the idle went way up. I had swapped out the EGR awhile back with a spare one I had without changed that gasket. Autozone didn't have the gasket in stock but hopefully tomorrow I will solve a 2 year idle mystery!

I was once again checking for vacuum leaks and replaced the gaskets above and below my TB spacer which may have helped a little but when I sprayed lighter fluid by the base of my EGR the idle went way up.
    Vacuum leak!!!!

Once you fix that you will probably get some IAC counts and a stable CL idle.

You don't even need an XDF to data log, but do for data tracing. Just because the ALDL data is so close does not mean the bin file is same format so do not use the $42 xdf to make changes in bin file.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well I didn't get a chance to try connecting to TP with that file but I did change out my EGR gasket. It appears that its no longer leaking, but my idle still stumbles! Is there any chance that I need to reset my ECM so it can relearn to run without the leak?

Really should not be necessary, but without data we really don't know what's happening or if any codes are set, if there's another issue?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I didn't get a chance to work on the tunerpro stuff because I've been focusing on the idle issue, but here is an update: Checked my timing today, it was almost right on 0* but I adjusted it spot on 0. I noticed that when the ecm wire wasn't hooked up, it idled perfectly but once I plugged it in, it started idling a little rough and like I said before, if its in open loop at 600 RPMs, it runs smooth, if its in closed loop at 600 it idles rough. It was hard to tell but it looked like timing was advanced about 16* at idle in closed loop but it kind of looked like the timing was searching the whole time. In the past when I data logged with WinALDL I had knock at idle... any thoughts? My next step will be to try to connect the $4F with tunerpro and try to data log.

Super Moderator
    the timing "searching" is normal, it's part of the idle stabilization routine, in addition to IAC movement.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

0 wire disconnected and 16 connected is also normal. Also have to clear code 42 after doing this.

What is your IAC reading now, warmed up closed loop idle?

Stock motor?

How many miles on motor?

How many miles on O2 sensor?

Any codes?

Can you get a data log to post yet?

Mechanical things like plugs, cap and rotors on these are notorious for being disenigrated and still run, but have issues.

Fuel pressure? Fuel filter...

That said there are some changes that can be made to bin file to help more stable idle.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    0 wire disconnected and 16 connected is also normal. Also have to clear code 42 after doing this.

What is your IAC reading now, warmed up closed loop idle?

Stock motor?

How many miles on motor?

How many miles on O2 sensor?

Any codes?

Can you get a data log to post yet?

Mechanical things like plugs, cap and rotors on these are notorious for being disenigrated and still run, but have issues.

Fuel pressure? Fuel filter...

That said there are some changes that can be made to bin file to help more stable idle.
    I have some of these answers off the top of my head, I'll have to connect tunerpro tomorrow to get the rest.... The motor, plugs, cap and rotor have 11,000 miles on them with a mild RV cam. O2 sensor has probably about 5,000 on it. New IAC and CTS. Brand new delphi vortec fuel pump, fuel filter has about 5,000 miles on it. Truck itself has 262,000 miles on it. My pressure was at 12.5 but I dropped it to 11 because it was running so rich. I'm going to set it at 13 before I do any tuning. No codes. The rest I don't have answers to yet.....

I'm going to try the new ADX you posted on here tomorrow and will do some data logging if it works and post the results. Thanks again guys!

Fuel Injected!
    I got connected! Here is my data log from this morning. This was taken right after I had reset the ECM so I hope that doesn't mess up the data.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks to be runnign pretty good! Except idle is very rich... this could be the cam.

What bin/BCC is in truck? Can you burn chips yet?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Looks to be runnign pretty good! Except idle is very rich... this could be the cam.

What bin/BCC is in truck? Can you burn chips yet?
    It did seem to be running pretty good today, as they always do when the mechanic is watching. I think pulling some fuel pressure helped because it was running rich all over. I'd like to be running higher than 11 psi again. I am trying to order the Burn2 so I can burn but I can't figure out how to check out on the moates site. I type in my billing info and I can't go to the next step on the checkout process because there is no button to do so.
    Not sure on the truck bin... how would I figure that out?

Call Moates and tell them you have an issue, they just redid their website... there was also a good deal on Burn 2 in for sale section here.

Look at ECM for numbers and letters. Should be like 1228747 and a four letter BCC like ADSU. Or open cover and read BCC off chip.

Problem with lowering pressure, if it is accurate, is it may fix bottom end rich and leave you with not enough fuel WOT high RPM! Then you start all over with more pressure... My gauge is accurate and a stock to relatively stock motor just runs good at 13 psi, lower = worser... if your using a cheap gauge and have between 12 and 14 your ready to tune.

Any cam change from stock will drop idle MAP, which adds fuel. Your log is showing exactly that. Although off idle up looks very good.

Looking at your log I noticed some MAP readings... where do you live? Elevation? Temps that day? Stock air filter setup?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    My ECM is the 1228747. Other numbers on it are 86AKWL and K391720208.

I plan on bumping my fuel pressure back up to 13 tomorrow when I install a set of injectors that I sent in to have flow matched.

I have no IAC counts at idle which I would assume is because I adjusted my throttle blades to bring up the idle. I'm thinking that the idle in my bin is pretty low.

Whats going on with the MAP readings? I live in Minnesota. I data logged this morning when it was probably about 60 degrees. I'm not sure about the elevation but its not low or high, an inbetweener if you will. I have an open element k&n filter right now with one of those hypertech powerchargers. I've been working on a carbon fiber cowl hood that should be going on soon which will hopefully help the burning hot air issue. I probably should have also added that I have long tube headers with true duals and an H pipe so its pretty free flowing on the exhaust end.

Is there any indication of bad sensors anywhere? My MAP has 262,000 miles on it as do the distributor and coil. Basically everything else has been replaced.

AKWL is the bin number/BCC code.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/...shtml?BCC=AKWL

I didn't see any issues, just you got into 100 kpa MAP a couple times and that does normally not happen with stock air intake. Usually 90...

Have to get those throttle blades closed a little to let IAC control idle. 20 is good but usually need a restart after each 1/4 turn, then wait for closed loop, rev engine, let idle and see where they are. Rinse and repeat!

When your done look to see where TPS voltage is.

262k is a lot of miles but MAP sensors don't seem to care... pickup coils in distributor and distributor shafts do! Also throttle shaft on TB if not replaced could be worn and leak some vacuum.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Is it a good thing that I got past 100 kpa? Does it say anything about how I'm flowing air?

When you say I need a restart after each 1/4 turn do you mean I need to reset the computer once everything is adjusted and idling?

I don't doubt that the throttle shaft is worn because I can feel a slight wiggle to it but I never considered that they could be leaking vacuum because of it... shoot. I just tried swapping the TB off a '91 burb that had no play in the throttle shafts but one of the vacuum lines is different on it. What kind of a job is it to replace shaft bushings? I know one place I talked to about flow matched injectors said they would do a complete rebuild for $300 but I don't wasn't sure if I could do it myself.

I also noticed while data logging that I was throwing a "high battery voltage" code. Is that a problem?