Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda B2200 TBI Conversion?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicus View Post
    @Dave w
    "For an EFI conversion, a distributor with a vacuum advance will need the vacuum advance mechanism welded."
    I guess you mean the flywheel (centrifugual) advance mechanism.
    BOTH mechanisms will need to be deleted and disabled. Easiest just to weld them in the static fully retarded locations.

Fuel Injected!
    do a Google search for Toyota gm efi conversion. he used the pickup out of a stock Toyota distributor and remotely mounted a GM ignition module on an aluminum heatsink. if distributor has mechanical advance you will have to remove and weld @ 0*.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    do a Google search for Toyota gm efi conversion. he used the pickup out of a stock Toyota distributor and remotely mounted a GM ignition module on an aluminum heatsink. if distributor has mechanical advance you will have to remove and weld @ 0*.
    This link, correct?

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...5-22r-tbi.html

"Also, the GM ignition module needed a heat sink, hence the small aluminum plate behind it. The 22RE distributor connects to the ignition module in a specfic way: distributor red wire -> P terminal on module. distributor white wire -> N terminal on module. If you get them backwards, you won't get a proper signal to the ECM and it will run like poop."

ToyGM Dist.JPG
    Last edited by JCampbell; 01-10-2020 at 03:04 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    yes that's it, hard to believe i remembered that from over 9 years ago. hopefully that gives you some ideas....

Fuel Injected!
    The 2.2l EFI distributor is set up for electronic ignition with "Hall effect". That is the reluctor ring/magnetic pickup, correct?

I should be able to use the EFI dist and not have to fool with the vac advance in the carb dist, correct?

AIP Electronics Complete Premium Electronic Ignition Distributor Compatible Replacement For 1990-1993 Mazda B2200 2.2L With Hall Effect T2T53071A MZ50 Oem Fit DT2T530 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPXFLK2..._JCagEbZZY564X

Fuel Injected!
    you will need to use a dist (or modify) with a magnetic pickup. i dont believe the gm module will work with hall effect. your carb'd distributor should have magnetic pickup? if so can remove vac can and weights and weld so ECU can control advance

Fuel Injected!
    go on rockauto looks like you can order magnetic pickup and reluctor for a carb'd setup. weather it wil bolt into your EFI dist, i am not sure.

Fuel Injected!
    Got it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
    The 2.2l EFI distributor is set up for electronic ignition with "Hall effect". That is the reluctor ring/magnetic pickup, correct?

I should be able to use the EFI dist and not have to fool with the vac advance in the carb dist, correct?

AIP Electronics Complete Premium Electronic Ignition Distributor Compatible Replacement For 1990-1993 Mazda B2200 2.2L With Hall Effect T2T53071A MZ50 Oem Fit DT2T530 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPXFLK2..._JCagEbZZY564X
    Hall Effect should work, but a bench test for verification would be a good plan.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    AFAIK a hall effect generates a DC square wave output vs a magnetic pickup which generates an AC signal, but I have never verified with a scope.

Fuel Injected!
    Does anybody know offhand what the CFM rating is on the 2.5 TB?

Quote Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
    Does anybody know offhand what the CFM rating is on the 2.5 TB?
    I'm going to guess about 270 CFM, based on the fact that a two barrel 5.7 throttle body is 535 CFM.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    AFAIK a hall effect generates a DC square wave output vs a magnetic pickup which generates an AC signal, but I have never verified with a scope.

Good point. The question is the difference between a pulsed DC signal vs. square wave DC signal? The GM Ignition module will reshape a pulsed DC signal to a square wave DC signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_DC

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Have you considered something like running the GM single barrel tbi unit, then pick up a microsquirt controller to run it. They've gotten pretty cheap for the basic microsquirt controller, you can program in custom sensor values, and select whatever timing pickup style you want. If I hadn't been doing a 4l80e swap on the last tbi I did, it would have gotten a microsquirt instead if a 7427.
    1995 GMC K2500 SUBURBAN 2001 LB7 DURAMAX/ALLISON swap, mostly stock, tuned by me with EFILive

1999 Tahoe 2 door 2X4, 5.7l with 0411 swap, and marine intake

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    Have you considered something like running the GM single barrel tbi unit, then pick up a microsquirt controller to run it.
    I looked into it a little this weekend after I saw your post. The actual, physical size of the controller is appealing. The stock Mazda ECU sits in the passenger side kick panel, and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to fit a GM ECU.

I’m open to it. How complicated is it to set up and run?