Anybody have any experiece adapting TBI from a GM 4cyl, such as an S10 or Cavalier to a non-GM 4cyl?

My son recently bought a super clean 90 Mazda B2200 for his first truck. They are cool little trucks, and I owned a few as a teenager and early 20something. The rush of nostalgia is fun, but I'm starting to have nighmarish flashbacks of the finicky electronic carb that these little rigs came with.

It's been 20 years since I messed with these trucks and a lot has changed since then. I've been doing some reading and it seems like FE3 (2.0l Kia Sportage) swaps, 1.8l Miata swaps, and rotory engine swaps are all fairly common. Even the old Weber 32/36 is still a popular mod.

I got to thinking, how hard would it be to adapt GM TBI to the venerable K3 2.2l Mazda? Fuel delivery and management seems like it would be relatively straightforward, but what about the timing aspect? Mod a GM 4 banger distributor to a Mazda dist shaft, or run a fuel only swap and rely on the factory Mazda vacuum-operated advance to handle ignition and timing?

Curious to see what others have done or learned throughout the years.