Thread: Stock PCM

Carb and Points!

Stock PCM

Hi yall this is my very first and I was actually referred over here from the folks at GMT 400 forum.

Let me tell you what i have going on. I have a 1994 chevy 1500 single cab step side. The motor is a professionally built mild vortec 383 stroker with a LT4 hot cam. The truck is fueled by a Holley Sniper EFI, holley Fuel pump, HyperSpark Coil, Ignition, coil, and Distributor. My built 4L60E transmission is still being controlled by my stock PCM since the sniper only controls the EFI.

In case it matters here is my transmission specs.

"High performance pump with high rpm pump rings, Torrington vanes, high output boost valve and pressure regulator assembly, special valve body and servo assembly,alloy accumulator pistons, TCC and AFL valve replacement, steel bonded apply pistons, 29 element dual cage input sprag,Borg warner low tension low sprag assembly, special modified sun gear shell, increased clutch capacity, performance servo, updated electronics, increased operating pressure and lube mods and a host of other modifications. Comes with our Street/Strip torque converter with carbon clutch, furnace brazing, hardened hub, and stall speeds up to 2600 rpm. Rated to 425HP."

In my opinion the stock PCM makes the trans shift sort of "weak" and draws 1st to 2nd out a little longer than I Like. So my question is... Is there a chip out there that will plug into my stock pcm and adjust the shift points and firmness? Im new to all of this and I'm learning as I go.

Thanks

You can program the chip yourself using Bluecat Transmission Tuning: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

Example screenshot below shows a 4L80E, the 4L60E is nearly identical.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 01-06-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    You can program the chip yourself using Bluecat Transmission Tuning: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

Example screenshot below shows a 4L80E, the 4L60E is nearly identical.

dave w

Thats what im looking for. Is there anyone who can burn a chip? I dont know the first thing about it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Thats what im looking for. Is there anyone who can burn a chip? I dont know the first thing about it.
    As I said before it can be done, I can do one for that matter. Just need to have all the sensor inputs as I mentioned previously for the PCM to properly control the trans. TPS, MAP, ECT, and RPM signal. You will need a Moates Memcal adapter and some flash chips. Also need an idea of what you want shift point wise and RPM wise. If you downloaded TunerProRT and picked up a Moates Burn1 I could email you files to burn to the chip. Also I would suggest datalogging the transmission with a datalogging cable to see what the adaptives are doing.

I had my L31 running on a carb using an 0411 for ignition, trans control, a/c and fan control for a year proving it could be done. Went through an OBD2 smog where they plug intp the OBD2 port and passed, lol.

I have actually used the 0411 as an ignition and trans controller for 2 carbed LS street/strip vehicles as well.
    Last edited by Fast355; 01-07-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Doesn't Holley have a trans controller, that will link to the Sniper? I think I'd do that, so that the ECU and the TCU can communicate with each other and not need extra sensors.

You do have a TPS, CLT, RPM input and MAP sensor connected to the OEM PCM, correct?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.