Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird knock detection L98

Fuel Injected!
    please ignore this post and files
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by space387; 01-15-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Here is the Base Bin and XDF. This is using the $8D mask with an AXCN original file. I calibrated the S_AUJP while the base XDF was loaded with the file below. It runs but a little rougher than the original bin after being modified. When trying to datalog the only ADX that reads is for the $8D adx I have below. When using the S_AUJP ADX I am plagued with data errors from the stream.

Space ---
    Somehow we are not communicating. I want help, but you're all over the map. You started with an ARFP bin in Post #1 of your initial thread. I asked if that was the bin with the good calibration and you did not reply. Now you provide an AXCN bin here. It also appears you did not follow the calibration transfer instructions or something went major wrong because your S_AUJP calibrated bin here does not in any way agree with your "base bin" calibration. See calibration snippet below.

For me to help i need you to post exactly the following:
    - The XDF for $8d that you have been using to edit a bin running in your car.
    - The $8d bin that is properly running in your car.

Your base bin is on the left -- Your S_AUJP calibrated bin on the right. See any problems? I'm surprised it runs at all.

Bin Compare.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    The Base Bin and Base Bin mask above are the simple answers of what I am using to run my car. The reason I started with an ARFP 3 weeks ago and now show an AXCN is because I began talking to a professional tuner and in an effort to help me learn how to make better adjustments to the bin he sent me that file. The one labeled Base bin is actually the 4th iteration of him sending a file and I dataloged. Small changes where made to get a solid base tune. I was not told it was an AXCN until yesterday. He swears they have no difference but the undefined code has a number of variances.

For the Hex difference I do not have an answer to why it is like that. when I start I have the Base min mask loaded for my XDF and load in the uncalibrated V6 bin. Next is open the difference tool and compare the uncalibrated bin to the base bin listed above. I make sure to check the defined values only box and from there select all listed changes and hit copy from right to left. Apparently I am missing something.
    Last edited by space387; 01-16-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by space387 View Post
    For the Hex difference I do not have an answer to why it is like that. when I start I have the Base min mask loaded for my XDF and load in the uncalibrated V6 bin. Next is open the difference tool and compare the uncalibrated bin to the base bin listed above. I make sure to check the defined values only box and from there select all listed changes and hit copy from right to left. Apparently I am missing something.
    I have no clue what happened, but attached is your calibration from base bin above now in S_AUJP v6 Base bin left -- S_AUJP right. No differences.
    Bin Compare.jpg

EDIT ADDITION -----
    Space --
    I owe you an apology. I do now know what happened. The instructions for transfer of a Calibration using TPro are incorrect. It is not possible to accurately use TPro and an XDF to do the transfer without a lot of tedious item by item detail. A blanket copy will not work. It has to do with items that may or not be in an XDF (S_AUJP or prior). So the only way a transfer can be done quickly, easily and error-free is to use a hex editor which allows copy of the entire calibration in one step. That's why HxD is recommended for the transfer.

Instructions will be modified and updated on thirdgen.org here:
    https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-released.html

Again, apologies for the error. Please let me know if the BIN I sent works.
    Elky
    Last edited by 84Elky; 01-17-2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Info update

Fuel Injected!
    It's very understandable the mix up. I'm doing a clutch today but once it's back together I will absolutly give it a try.

Fuel Injected!
    I have always been curious how do you add commands and features to a bin? Eventually I would like to understand how the code breaks down so anything you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Fuel Injected!
    Depends on what you mean. If you mean adding things that you can edit in TunerPro, it's a matter of defining address ranges in the XDF with descriptions and the type of address it is (toggle, table, map, etc). You can open an XDF in your text editor of choice to inspect its structure for yourself. TunerPro itself also has an XDF editor built in to make doing so a little bit more user-friendly.

If you mean actually adding features to the BIN that were not present from the factory, such as what kur4o and steveo do to allow things like faster logging, open-loop operation, wideband data processing, etc...that requires actual understanding of the program that runs on the hardware in question, as well as knowing where free space (or useless/unnecessary code) is to place the code, and creating proper links so that the code is actually run. Far more complicated than just defining things in an XDF.

Fuel Injected!
    What s I am looking to gain is how does the ECU know to do specific commands. Say it should be cycling the EGR valve, Yes there is a flag to check off and a few scalars to dictate when but where does the code say for Pin A3 check this list of scalars and flags to see if it should be enables. I understand this is very difficult and by looking over this past thread it probably seems above my ability but I do want to try and learn how these ECU's work on a coding level.

A good use might be changing the use of a pin from something like a 1-4 shift/TCC lockup to another feature like an automated cutout.

84Elky would it be possible to look up what address in the Y-Body bins controls pin A12? It is connected to the built in Up shift indicator. The owners manual says for the L98 it only tells you to shift to 6th at highway speed but for the LT5 its set to work as a shift indicator for all years when at high RPM's. If it can be found it would allow you to move the shift light to another pin if so desired for the 1227277 ecu.
    Last edited by space387; 01-19-2020 at 08:10 AM.