Thread: New Member Bob

Carb and Points!

New Member Bob

Just installed a 91 Chevy 4.3 out of an S-10 into my 86 Jeep CJ-7. The S-10 had an automatic, but I have installed an SM-465 (4 spd. truck stick shift.). Engine mounting, trans. adaptation, drive shafts, linkages, radiator, transfer case, and everything mechanical are handled. BUT, I'm a little old for computer stuff. I have all the wiring, computer, sensors, etc. from the S-10. Does anyone have an idea where I can find the wiring info to hook up to the Jeep? RE: What are the minimum hookups required. Do I have to change programming for a stick shift? How much, if any, of the wires from the computer can i get rid of? Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks, New Member Bob

I'm guessing the computer for the 91 Chevy 4.3 is part # 16144288?

This gearhead-efi link has good information for the 16144288 ECM: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-AO

At a minimum the harness needs Battery +, Battery -, Ignition switch On / Start power, and the Fuel Pump Relay wires connected to work. The diagnostic OBD1 connector needs to be hooked up too.

Harnesses are always time vs. money. I often wonder how much time it would take to make a new harness vs. the time needed for fixing a used harness? Likely the cost to have the original harness fixed is possibly close to the cost of a new harness? Likely the original harness has visible issues (broken connectors, frayed or brittle wiring) or possibly hidden issues that will be the source of a future problem or the source of immediate frustration?

If there is sufficient budget, I highly recommend a new harness. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ess,46375.html

I think in the long run, converting to the 1227747 ECM is a very good option. The 1227747 has an enormous amount of aftermarket support. The 16144288 has very little aftermarket support.

Gearhead-efi link to 1227747 ECM information:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

The 1227747 was used on TBI 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, and 7.4 liter engines. Basically the wiring is the same for all engines, but the CHIP is different for each engine.

dave w

Administrator
    Hi Bob,

In addition to Dave's information, I would add that custom programming is almost always beneficial for an engine transplant such as yours. The Jeep is a very different vehicle than an S10 and will respond very differently off-road. The stock programming, designed for emissions compliance, leaves performance on the table even in a stock application.

I have a few questions. Some for my own curiosity and some will help us provide assistance for your project.

What year is your SM465? What transfer case are you using with it? Are you using a speedometer cable? Do you have a speed sensor installed?

What are you using for a fuel tank?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

I'm guessing the computer for the 91 Chevy 4.3 is part # 16144288?

This gearhead-efi link has good information for the 16144288 ECM: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-AO

At a minimum the harness needs Battery +, Battery -, Ignition switch On / Start power, and the Fuel Pump Relay wires connected to work. The diagnostic OBD1 connector needs to be hooked up too.

Harnesses are always time vs. money. I often wonder how much time it would take to make a new harness vs. the time needed for fixing a used harness? Likely the cost to have the original harness fixed is possibly close to the cost of a new harness? Likely the original harness has visible issues (broken connectors, frayed or brittle wiring) or possibly hidden issues that will be the source of a future problem or the source of immediate frustration?

If there is sufficient budget, I highly recommend a new harness. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ess,46375.html

I think in the long run, converting to the 1227747 ECM is a very good option. The 1227747 has an enormous amount of aftermarket support. The 16144288 has very little aftermarket support.

Gearhead-efi link to 1227747 ECM information:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

The 1227747 was used on TBI 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, and 7.4 liter engines. Basically the wiring is the same for all engines, but the CHIP is different for each engine.

dave w

Hi Dave, thabks for the response. My computer is a 1228062 with a APAL chip.

Carb and Points!
    I think the SM465 is out of a 1969. I'm using a Dana 300 transfer case with 4:00 - 1 reduction. Running stock Jeep speedo cable and don't have a speed sensor. I'm using the original Jeep gas tank. Going to try a frame mounted fuel pump for the time being. I'm kind of "computer challenged". I hope I've figured out how to reply properly.
    Thanks, Bob

I understand the challenges with the Laptop computer and the TBI computer.

Start the learning curve with computers with getting a data log with TunerPro RT.

dave w

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by New member Bob View Post
    I think the SM465 is out of a 1969. I'm using a Dana 300 transfer case with 4:00 - 1 reduction. Running stock Jeep speedo cable and don't have a speed sensor. I'm using the original Jeep gas tank. Going to try a frame mounted fuel pump for the time being. I'm kind of "computer challenged". I hope I've figured out how to reply properly.
    Thanks, Bob
    Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a neat project.

Many years ago I was involved in helping work on a CJ that had received a TBI conversion to a 258. The engine had been rebuilt and was a very strong performer. The owner had installed a frame mounted fuel pump which worked well until the fuel level got to about 3/8 of a tank. Below 3/4 tank any hard acceleration or corners, and any significant rock climbing, caused the engine to stumble and stall due to fuel starvation. The owner finally bought a fuel tank that had baffles and the problem was cured.

The TBI computers usually aren't happy without a vehicle speed sensor. The engine will run well but the idle speed often ends up too high because the computer doesn't know the vehicle is experiencing load while moving.