Thread: TunerCat OBDII software with a RoadRunner ?

TunerCat OBDII software with a RoadRunner ?

Did I mention I'm refinancing my house to buy a RoadRunner, TunerCat OBDII software with all the defs? Ok there's more to it then that but I'm adding it in.

Should I?

I'm sure the RoadRunner will come in handy but at this point it's the only way to buy the software.

EFI Live is sweet, I have to agree, but at $100 or so license per car I just don't want to start there...

2-3 years ago I hardly got a call for OBDII, now I turn down more work that is OBDII then OBDI I get so it's time to upgrade...

Big learning curve ahead, anyone use TunerCat OBDII? If not what do you use?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    I've had it since a few months after it came out. You're used to TP so it's going to be very different. Part of the reason TP exists was to improve over perceived shortcomings in other software like TC. To me TC is a fairly simple program with keyboard controls I can use to tune while driving. I have trouble doing the same with TP. You won't have the ability to add or change parameters without using a supplemental "definition editor" program but chances are you won't need it. And TC is pretty good about support if you have an issue. TC's roots can be traced back to the beginning of DIY tuning so they've been around to help out for a few years.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 05-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.

It's no secret, I went with EFI Live. The $100 per PCM / VCM license is a steep price to pay. In business, ultimately the customer pays all costs + profit. The local "Dyno Tune" shop in my area usually gets about $500 to tune either an OBDI or OBDII vehicle. I think, from a business stand point, a Dyno is worth considering if your going to refinance the house. I'm still learning OBDII and EFI Live. The future, is of course OBDII, so updating hardware / software it not an option if a tuner is going stay in the tuning business. I considered both TC / HP Tuners, EFI Live is well know and many potential customers KNOW EFI Live. EFI Live offers site licenses, which should pay dividends in the long run, or at least that's my thinking. Just my $0.02

dave w

You're used to TP so it's going to be very different.
    I started with TunerCat years ago and still have it.

Part of the reason TP exists was to improve over perceived shortcomings in other software like TC. You won't have the ability to add or change parameters without using a supplemental "definition editor" program but chances are you won't need it.
    Changing parameters, adding notes, being able to keep modified files with each car is just a benefit I found with TunerPro. Reason I ended up using it to start was data logger way better then WinALDL in the bin editor!

You won't have the ability to add or change parameters without using a supplemental "definition editor" program but chances are you won't need it.
    With the editor could you keep separate files for each car? Like the title just to add a note like"+" to identify what has been changed.

To me TC is a fairly simple program
    Is TunerCat OBDII similar to OBDI?
    Yes! Over the years I have found if I get the tune right I don't need to change 50 other things constantly, that in the end they are all fine.

I think, from a business stand point, a Dyno is worth considering if your going to refinance the house.
    Dyno has been considered! But I would need a shop as no room at the house and don't think the neighbors would go for open header 8000 RPM runs here...

Only reason a shop is being considered is my son wants to do a shop for his fab work and I could have half for conversions/tuning/Dyno. Put a lift in the middle and we are set!

But he is still young and has a very good job at Oriellys auto parts. Full time, health insurance and retirement plan... The new district manager was so impressed with him at his age at first evaluation, he is youngest person to ever work for company, that he is in charge of store inventory audits for the area and travels besides his regular job. So I don't know if I want to help push him into his own business?

Me? My age, three back surgeries, I'm fine doing what I can do from house with no added shop expenses. Home is paid for, only reason for refi is newer car, home maintenance and upgrades. Only have one other debt that would be paid as well. Monthly expense would not change... Cheaper interest then bank for used car, no fees loan from a friend, money is available when I find a deal or 2, no dealers needed, I can find plenty of good cars... may even end up with a travel trailer for AZ winter living/tuning...

-= =-

So what about data logs? Don't know if my scan tool is going to do the trick with what I am used to working with now.

EFI Live scan? I need to know more about this as I believe there's no per car fee, but what cars are covered?

OBDII plans are more for conversions to hot rods and off roaders. Major point is making them run with one O2 sensor and no cat... making speedometer work accurately. But I'm sure the Camaro, Corvette etc... will come into play for taking away limits in stock calibrations more then anything...

Not going to get involved with diesels or imports, just going to stay in my comfort zone...

Also going to be taking a course next time available in Seattle area from one of the EFI tuning schools. Couple available and not sure what to do there either?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Tunercats OBD2 is much like the OBD1 version. I have never used it with a roadrunner so I don't really know what functionality that adds. I don't think it logs does it?
    In playing with EFILive demos it sure does have some pretty cool features. Their V2 interface is very nice. Personally if I were going to buy something to use in a professional environment where it was going to generate cash I think I might lean towards EFILive like Dave W did.

RoadRunner replaces PCM lets you tune Real Time, when done reinstall PCM and flash with tune. Only works on certain amount of cars, but owning one allows you to buy TunerCat OBDII and defs. This was tied in before sale of TC OBDII to Jet, which is back to same $100 per license deal... which I want to avoid!

If I were to get a Dyno and a shop then EFI Live would probably be my choice. But at this point in my life I am content with doing what I love to do, at home, in person, for a few extra bucks now and then without starting a new business in a horrible economy with uncertain future!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    think of the roadrunner as a PCM with a permanantly installed emulator... since that's what it is.

TC OBD2 is a decent way into the OBD2 game, since not only is there decent support, but new definitions seem to keep being relased as well.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    TC OBD2 is a decent way into the OBD2 game, since not only is there decent support, but new definitions seem to keep being released as well.
    I've been wondering and watching the new defs. Thought it would be dead in water after sale to Jet... I think these new defs and software is tied in to Westers Garage in Canada as the software is surprisingly similar?

-= =-

Super Moderator
    Westers is using TC with a westers logo.

for the right price, you too can have the same treatment.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    Wester's is one of a few companies using TC rebadges. Parameter changes mentioned above are for editiong parameters in def file. Save tunes with any name you want.

I use Snap-on scantool. I think the scanner program offered by Wester's looks good.

If I was starting fresh EFILive might be the route I'd take, too. Actually, if I was doing this in volume I'd have both HPTuners and EFILive.

TC makes new defs so JET can keep selling software and to support the many, many dealers with TC software.

If Orielly's management follows Advance Auto / Wal-Mart plan, get him out before he works himself near to death only to get fired or pissed off at the whole chain.

Need to get racecar drivers as neighbors.